Infertility

Novarel Question

How did you inject this medication? Mine came yesterday and it had two IM needles; one for mixing and one for injecting. A while back when we first found out what all our meds would be, I did quite a bit of research on them. Some places say you can inject by IM and some say by SubQ. What is the difference? Does it get to your blood system faster by IM?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Novarel Question

• I've never done Novarel. Only Ovidrel for IUIs and Pregnyl for IVFs. My IUI triggers were always subq and my IVF triggers were IM. My understanding is that the IM injections provide a more accurate window for ovulation, as the absorbtion is much quicker. As the ER should be completed between the time when the egg pulls away from the follicular wall and ovulation, it is necessary to be a bit more precise with the time of trigger. When my IVF cycle was cancelled, I was told to do Pregnyl by subq injection, as there was no need to time my ovulation. Hope that helps!
    TTC in 2009, Dx: Unexplained IF
    Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
    12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
    Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

• That makes sense!!! I did Ovidrel on 3 of my IUI's, and it was Sub-Q. They wanted it to be at a specific time, also! It's so weird how precise everything HAS to be!
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't used Novarel, but used Ovidrel for my failed IVF cycle (see siggy). At my WTF this was one of the questions I asked because from my research (thanks google) I was finding that IM can be better as it gets into your system more quickly, as opposed to sub-q, especially since I have a bit of jiggle around the middle.

My RE brushed off my concern, and said sub-q is fine,but when I went for a 2nd opinion, he had concerns about my trigger and seems to think that's where my cycle went wrong. In my next cycle, my trigger will be an IM. I would say it's definitely worth asking your RE about the difference. GL!

2/11 Diagnosis: DOR-AMH .62, LPD and MFI-4% Morph
    IVF #1-July 2011 7/9/11-Started Stims
    7/20/11-ER:No eggs in 4/5 follicles. Left the 5th follie intact and converted to an IUI
    8/3/11-Beta #1=BFN,
    Nov, 2011 BFP #1=m/c at 7 wks 3 days
    11/11-AMH .47, IVF #2 March 2012...or not!! Surprise BFP on 2/19. Beta #1=161. Beta #2 305 Our little miracle girl is on her way! Due Oct 29, 2012
    <a href="http://s1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb461/andersenspics/?action=view
  • I used Novarel as a trigger for 3/4 of my IUIs and for my IVF.  It was sub-q for all of those times.  GL!
    Mom to Eliott Alexander, born sleeping at 37 weeks on 8/13/10. Most of us only dream of angels - I held one in my arms.
    BFP #2 - EDD 2/26/12 M/C 6/28/11 @ 5w2d
    BFP #3 - EDD 4/7/12 M/C 8/2/11 @ 4w2d
    Too beautiful for this earth
    BFP #4 - EDD 12/09/12, Lucille arrived 11/26/12
  • My office uses Novarel, and that is the only injection that is actually IM in the protocol. It is also my understanding that IM is more accurate for trigger that way.
    Us: 39(me)/41(he). TTC since April '11. DOR/MFI. March '12: surgery to remove fibroids, cysts, and endometriosis.
    IVF #1: 9/13/12. ER: 9/25. 3R, 2M, 1F. ET: 9/28 (1-6B). Beta: moved from 10/11 to 10/10: BFN.
    IVF #2: 11/12 cycle postponed due to Sandy and then cancelled due to elevated E2.
    IVF #2.1 cancelled due to cyst.
    IVF #2.2: 2/2/13. Converted to IUI. BFN
    IVF #3.0: 3/2014. BCP & Microdose Lupron.  Cycle cancelled due to poor response.
    IVF #4.0: 2/2015. EPP @ new RE. ER: 3/8. 3R, 3M, 1F. ET: 3/11 (1-8cell). 3/23 Beta: 16.9. 3/25 Beta: 71.6. 3/27 Beta: 300. 3/29 Beta: 800 3/31 Beta: 1816. 4/1 Beta: 4342. m/c at 6w2d. Goodbye little one. I loved you already.
    P/SAIF Welcome.
    My Blog
    imageimageBirthday image

• imagelsgabriel:
    My office uses Novarel, and that is the only injection that is actually IM in the protocol. It is also my understanding that IM is more accurate for trigger that way.

Everything else (Lupron, Follistim, & Menopur) is SubQ. The Novarel and PIO is IM.....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"