Babies on the Brain

Cosco vs BJs vs Sams Club

Does anybody have a preference to these bulk stores? We have all three and we are trying to decide which to become a member. DH didn't renew our Cosco membership so now we are debating joining another store. I know BJs has a trial membership but if you don't sign up, they charge you extra on what you purchased. Their membership and, I'm pretty sure, SAMs Club as well cost more then Cosco.

Does anybody know what brands Sams and BJs carry? What about baby products? Food?
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Cosco vs BJs vs Sams Club

• We use BJs, I believe they all have their own store brands which are considerably cheaper (not 100% sure on that though) and the prices are pretty comparable. BJs sends you a monthly coupon book, so I always get the huge cases of diapers for like -$5. If the others also send coupons then I guess it really doesn't matter which one you choose. 

BJs also has occasional sales on the big cases of formula, which is nice.  

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • WE have BJs.  I like it.  Their wipes are awesome
    photo db44578a-7b8c-4755-ad7b-b5de3ca46717.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • We use BJ's over Costco.  BJ's membership was cheaper and they allow you to use their coupon + a manufacturer coupon per item.  Their brand is Berkley & Jensen.  And ditto Wee, their wipes are the bomb (and often have a coupon for $5.00 off a case.)  Costco has top notch food though.

ETA:  I had a Sam's membership in college.  It's just a giant, bulk Walmart.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have a Sam's membership. It's $40/year. They carry a store brand, but they also have Similac and Enfamil, Pampers and Huggies, and they also have some Gerber stage 2 foods and some graduates items too. We use the store brand wipes and like them (I liked them better before they changed them, but they're still good).

As far as food, they carry a lot of major name brands. The staples we buy are pb, hot pockets, breakfast sandwiches (this is DH's diet), plus their fruits and vegetables are yummy.

• For a long time all we had was Sam's Club so that's where I'm a member, but they do not accept any manufacturer coupons and that kinda sucks.  Now we have BJs so I'm thinking of joining there when my Sams membership is up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I refuse to pay to shop but to each his own. All we have is a Sam's here and lots of people love it but its just nms.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We don't have a BJ's I don't think, but when our Sam's membership was up last month, we looked at switching over to Costco.  It was $15 more a year to join at Costco, and every single one of the 25 or so items we looked at to compare was quite a bit more expensive than at Sam's.  We ended up renewing at Sam's pretty quickly. 
  • imageks3pink:
    I refuse to pay to shop but to each his own. All we have is a Sam's here and lots of people love it but its just nms.

The savings (for me, personally) have long passed the cost of the membership. Plus, we split with my parents (and they can get their own card, and we have ours) so it's WAY worth it. I've saved a TON.

OP- I love BJ's, but can't comment on the others. We don't have a Cosco here. We do have a Sams, but I've never stepped foot in it.  

BJ's has tons of brand names (including baby items- diapers, formula, wipes) and their own brand, which I like very much.

I love them at Christmas time. They seriously have a roll of wrapping paper that will last you 3 YEARS and it's $9.99. It's so huge, it's hard to pick up.  I also get our cat litter there, bottled water, meat, some canned stuff.  And stuff like vitamins and razor refills are incredibly cheaper.  More expensive at FIRST (because they're bigger, so priced more) but in the long run you get way more. I love my BJ's.

E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • Sams - cheaper membership, but not coupons and in my opinion the deals could be a little better.

Costco - slightly more expensive ($50 vs $35) but the selection and quality seem to be better. They also have coupons

BJs - no clue, we don't have those around these parts 

• We don't have a BJs but picked Sam's over Costco. Sam's house brand is Members Mark and Costco's is Kirkland. What I did was walk through both stores with a list of common items I'd want to buy - and price compared each store. In my area, Sam's was closer and had more of the stuff I was looking for. 
    Well excuuuse me. But seriously, you save WAY more money then what you put out for the membership. I'm pretty sure the money we saved between string cheese and medicine alone covered the cost of our membership. EX: a single pack of Boogie Wipes is $3.99, which is absurd! At Cosco a case of them is $12, huge savings. Same thing with juice boxes. It's between $9-$13 for a case compared to the supermarket prices which wind up being almost double.
  • imageks3pink:
    I refuse to pay to shop but to each his own. All we have is a Sam's here and lots of people love it but its just nms.

And your contribution here is what?

photo db44578a-7b8c-4755-ad7b-b5de3ca46717.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageweelass24:

imageks3pink:

And your contribution here is what?

To be completely helpful in answering OP's question. 

E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • We go to BJ's because they're closest, and the BJ's at my parents house has a gas station. THAT is what makes a huge difference. It's usually 5 cents below the cheap stuff elsewhere. 

I've looked at Sams and never been impressed.

I think that Costco and BJ's are fairly equal. If I weren't taking the gas station into account, I would price check a normal shopping trip and see where the differences are.

BJ's sends us a coupon book every month thats actually helpful. And they allow you to double up on manufacturer coupons. Last trip I had a triscuit coupon, and a BJ's coupon for Triscuits, so I got a 3 pack for $2. Pretty cool. 

I do like Berkely & Jenson (BJ's brand) stuff. 

To the poster who doesn't see the point: My H & I don't have kids, but we shop at BJ's. We go through almost a gallon and a half of milk a week = about 70 gallons a year. Milk is $1 cheaper at BJ's, so that saves us $70 a year. A membership costs $52 a year. So buying a membership and only milk saves us $18 a year. And that's if we only buy milk.  

• imageleslie13510:
    We don't have a BJ's I don't think, but when our Sam's membership was up last month, we looked at switching over to Costco.  It was $15 more a year to join at Costco, and every single one of the 25 or so items we looked at to compare was quite a bit more expensive than at Sam's.  We ended up renewing at Sam's pretty quickly. 

Costco is much cheaper here. They also have a larger selection. In TN Sam's is cheaper. I think it is a regional thing. I say walk around and compare prices. I have no info on BJs. 

• imageMysterious_wife:

imageleslie13510:
    We don't have a BJ's I don't think, but when our Sam's membership was up last month, we looked at switching over to Costco.  It was $15 more a year to join at Costco, and every single one of the 25 or so items we looked at to compare was quite a bit more expensive than at Sam's.  We ended up renewing at Sam's pretty quickly. 

Costco is much cheaper here. They also have a larger selection. In TN Sam's is cheaper. I think it is a regional thing. I say walk around and compare prices. I have no info on BJs. 

Yeah, I figured it had to be a regional thing, since soooo many people seem to swear by Costco around these boards.  The price difference here was outrageous.  A $4 difference on a set of those nice disposable dishes/silverware, almost $10 difference on the same bag of dog food, $1-2 difference on marinating sauces and dips, etc.  Even figuring in coupons, there's no way Costco would be cheaper around here.  I don't know how they have any business at all to be honest.  I guess people don't bother looking around and comparing?  LOL

• WTH is BJ's?

All I can come up with is blow jobs. But that just doesn't make sense in context here...

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageN&G 5_26_07:

WTH is BJ's?

All I can come up with is blow jobs. But that just doesn't make sense in context here...

LMAO. It's a warehouse type store similar to Costco and Sams Club. Their store brand is Berkely & Jensen.  

• I think we are going to try the free trial day at BJs. And see what they have. We get their coupon book and they carry the nb pampers we like and the wipes we use, Cosco didn't. That alone could be worth the membership.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"