2nd Trimester

Heartrate through the roof!

I keep feeling like my heart is going to jump out of my chest...so I check my bp often and it shows me my heart rate as well...

My bp is normal 116 over 70, but heartrate is at 111! 

should i see my dr...what could it be...i was very active pre pregnancy...i used to work out 5 days a week...now i went like 5 times total in the passed 20 weeks...does that have something to do with it? what causes a high heart rate?

Re: Heartrate through the roof!

• Hmmm..heart rate does increase during pregnancy to around 80-90 bpm. So that is kind of high.  I would try to rest and relax and take it again. If it is still the high go ahead and call the doctor. Are you feeling anxious for any reason?

How many weeks are you? At the beginning of second trimester I had the feeling my heart was working too hard...and drops in my blood pressure. Your body is producing a lot more blood because of the little one so your heart is working harder- but it regulates and  normalizes eventually.

Do you feel short of breath or dizzy? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Worth calling your OB if it doesn't stop, but not worth an ER trip without other symptoms.

My sleeping HR is 130-150, but I've had a bunch of tests and the cardiologist and my OB aren't concerned.  But, I've had a bunch of tests to rule out other things. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm just lurking from Toddlers, but am in nursing school so wanted to let you know that during pregnancy you're circulating about 1 1/2 times your normal blood volume, so many cardiovascular changes take place. Your BP doesn't change much in your upper extremities, but it does increase in your legs. Your heart rate increases by about 10-20 bpm. Normal heart rate range is 60-100 bpm so if your normal HR was on the upper end of the range to begin with, then your current HR may be normal for you. The real question is, how are you feeling? Are you also feeling short of breath, palpitations, etc? Or do you otherwise feel fine? Definitely contact your doc if you have any concerns either way.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm 20 weeks,..and yea i do have shortness of breath...i woke up with anxiety after a nightmare this morning...but thats about it...i tested about 15 minutes ago bc i can feel my heart pounding...when i walk up stairs...i feel winded...im not dizzy at all...just tired and could sleep all day
  • imageblueeyedgirl27:
    I'm just lurking from Toddlers, but am in nursing school so wanted to let you know that during pregnancy you're circulating about 1 1/2 times your normal blood volume, so many cardiovascular changes take place. Your BP doesn't change much in your upper extremities, but it does increase in your legs. Your heart rate increases by about 10-20 bpm. Normal heart rate range is 60-100 bpm so if your normal HR was on the upper end of the range to begin with, then your current HR may be normal for you. The real question is, how are you feeling? Are you also feeling short of breath, palpitations, etc? Or do you otherwise feel fine? Definitely contact your doc if you have any concerns either way.

I dont remmeber my resting heart rate pre-pregnancy...but i get winded easily..and i def have shortness of breath

• imageblueeyedgirl27:
    I'm just lurking from Toddlers, but am in nursing school so wanted to let you know that during pregnancy you're circulating about 1 1/2 times your normal blood volume, so many cardiovascular changes take place. Your BP doesn't change much in your upper extremities, but it does increase in your legs. Your heart rate increases by about 10-20 bpm. Normal heart rate range is 60-100 bpm so if your normal HR was on the upper end of the range to begin with, then your current HR may be normal for you. The real question is, how are you feeling? Are you also feeling short of breath, palpitations, etc? Or do you otherwise feel fine? Definitely contact your doc if you have any concerns either way.

I dont remmeber my resting heart rate pre-pregnancy...but i get winded easily..and i def have shortness of breath

• You have shortness of breath when you are resting? Or exerting energy? If it is while resting you should call your OB. Your shortness of breath might be from anxiety from what you are feeling in terms of your heart/blood volume increase situation though. She's probably going to tell you to go to the ER because they will be concerned about your oxygen level. But this can be checked with a Pulsox meter if you have one or know a nurse that might have one.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just tested my pulse again...it was flucuating between 101-104...i wasnt doing anything...just the laundry and sat down and felt my heart beating really fast. I'm going to call my dr now...thanks a lot guys
  • my normal hr since im pregnant is around 114 i feel like you as if my heart is going to jump out of my chest but my doc and ob arent worrying about it
  • Your HR could be elevated, and you could be SOB from dehydration, or from a low hemoglobin.  I was experiencing these things, and my MD checked my Hgb and it had dropped from 14 to 10, now I am taking iron.  Take it easy, drink water, and GL.
  • 111 isn't actually all that bad. I was hospitalized for a HR of 143 and was told in the  ER that although 70-90 was a normal resting heart rate, they wouldn't be worried if it was 100 or 110 because of all the extra blood we get while we're pregnant. If it continues to rise, call your OB but I think where you're at is just fine.

Oh...and make sure to check your HR while you've been resting for a good while..an hr so...without any caffeine or chocolate in your belly :) GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"