Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Anyone give their baby plain ol' water for gas?

I don't post on TN or TB very often, but I feel like everything I've posted on TB is related to my MIL somehow!  She has all kinds of crazy advice!  And almost all of it our pedi has recommended we NOT follow.  Indifferent

Anyway, here's the latest.  This might be perfectly legit, but as a FTM, I don't know and am just curious.  Our DD has recently had issues with gas, which we give her gripe water for and has worked great.  Tonight MIL told us we should just give her regular water for gas.  Does anyone do that?  Does it really work?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone give their baby plain ol' water for gas?

• Dont give your LO water! Its bad for LO to have it strait up. I do not exactly remember why but I am sure someone will post details for you :)
  • imagemasterhairstylist:
    Dont give your LO water! Its bad for LO to have it strait up. I do not exactly remember why but I am sure someone will post details for you :)

AGREED ! Its very bad for newborns/infants!!!

Giving water to an infant can also cause water intoxication, a serious condition that happens when too much water dilutes the concentration of sodium in the body, upsetting the electrolyte balance and causing tissues to swell. It's uncommon but serious, potentially causing seizures and even a coma.

When your baby reaches 6months its okay to give them little sips of water(generally no more than 1/2 an oz)

My little one gets gassy and i just switched her from Enfamil premium to enfamil gentlease. i also BF, it seems to be working for her !

Good Luck!!  :)

• Loading the player...
  • I dont think it would work for gas, and I believe you should not give a newborn TOO much plain water because it can mess up their electrolytes. 

A small amount of water is fine if reqired for things like constipation, but its not to replace feedings.

photo b5880bbf-17e0-491c-8d1e-181ee8707670_zps6b0bf0b5.jpg Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Aug 19, 2010 ParaGuard IUD Removed
    Sept 7, 2010 Dx w/Hypothyroidism (TSH 6.7) Began taking Levothyroxine
    Feb 15, 2010 BFP with #1
    Nov 1, 2011 DD1 Born
  • Plain water is extremely dangerous for NB due to the maturity of their kidneys your pedi is correct with recommending not to follow your MIL's advice. The amount of water your LO receives via formula or through breast milk is sufficient. The gripe water caused an allergic reaction in my DD but we have always used Gas Drops (Simethicone) and it has never failed. Our pedi prefers it to gripe water. 
    image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My MIL, a NURSE in an ELEMENTARY school, told me to give water to DD for hiccups.  I told her that you are not supposed to give any water to babies until they are eating solids.  You should've seen the look she gave me, like "who do you think you're talking to??", but she dropped it.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've never heard of giving water for gas i've heard of giving a little warm water occasionally for constipation and pedi said we could give DD water for hiccups because she would get really violent hiccups to the point that they would make her throw up and choke on it but it's only like 3 sucks so it's a very very tiny amount. However, generally it is not good to give babies water and if you do make sure it is a very very small amount.
  • No water for little babies.  Ask your pedi about gas drops.  Ours allowed a small dose with each feeding for both of my kids for their gas.
  • My pedi prefers bottled water to gripe water. She said that gripe water is not strictly controlled in the way that it is produced, and that a little bit of water (about an ounce) is OK. She told me this when LO was exactly 1 month old.
    Mom to E, 11/2011 - Severe egg & dairy allergies, soy intolerance *** Stepmom to G, 2001
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"