Breastfeeding
Options

Beer?

I have been noticing people here mention beer as being good for supply. I thought anything with alcohol was not ideal because it can keep you from absorbing nutrients. Is beer an exception? Or only certain kinds? Please share your wisdom because I love a good craft beer and had planned on not drinking at all while I BF!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Beer?

• Options
    You can drink in moderation while nursing--just not WHILE nursing, lol.  I recommend about an inch or two of darker beer in a glass (not a whole beer), just after a feeding so the alcohol is out of your system before the next.  Alcohol in milk is the same as in your bloodstream.  You can also do non-alcoholic beer or put brewer's yeast in cookies or baked goods (that's all you're really drinking the beer for anyhow). 
  • Options

OWT for beer to increase supply? IDK if that is true.

I know an OWT for beer stopping contractions. My mom actually claims that beer stopped me from being born on july 4th. go figure.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I drink a Guiness at night after LO goes to bed...I swear I have been pumping more since I started this. Maybe it is just psychosomatic, but whatever helps me pump more! DD sleeps at least 6-7 hours so it is out of my system by the time she needs to eat again.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    You can drink any kind of alcohol in moderation while breastfeeding. I typically do it right after a feeding so that it's out by my next feeding. As far as beer is concerned, it could be an old wives tale that it increases supply, but my OB told me the day I left the hospital to go home and have a Guiness to make my milk come in. Well, I did, and the next morning my milk was in for sure!! It could be a coincidence, but I say it can't hurt to try!
  • Options

Agree with the moderation for your enjoyment.

Studies disagree w/ the OWT about beer increasing milk supply, they have shown babes drink less at the breast after mom has had beer so they hypothesize mom is fuller after the feed and hence feels like supply is increased.   Relaxing is benificial  hormonally though so if it makes you happy in moderation probably won't hurt supply.

5/08- blighted ovum, spont ab; 2/20/09- epi, VAVD, Girl! breastfed 24mo; 10/10- blighted ovum, spon ab; 12/10- no fetal pole, Cytotec; 11/20/11- unmedicated SVD, Girl! breastfed 18mo; 11/7/13- unmedicated SVD, breastfed 18mo; 2/11/16- unmedicated SVD, exclusively pumping to at least a year.

• Options

It is the hops in beer that are supposed to help with boosting supply.  So a pale ale would be what you would need to drink.  I honestly don't think it helps a lot, but hey I'm not one to discourage someone from drinking beer, so give it a try!

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"