2nd Trimester
Options

Too much weight gain, 22 wks, pls help?!

Hello, I just had a mini breakdown this morning, after weighing myself. I've gained 21 lbs in 22 weeks! I started out at 115, 5"4, prepregnancy. I have reduced my work outs, but I don't feel like I'm eatting that much more now vs prepreg. I don't know what is going on & really freaking out. How could I possibly gained this much weight??  Please help. I really need advice.

Re: Too much weight gain, 22 wks, pls help?!

• Options

It sounds like your body started out thin and that it needs the weight. Even if you gain 21 more lbs in the next 19 weeks (which may, or may not happen) you are still very normal for the size that you started out at.

I know it is hard to deal with a changing body, but if you are healthy and exercise now..it will be pretty easy to get back in shape after baby.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Has your dr said anything? Sounds like you were very slim pre-preg. Maybe this is an ok range for you. 

can't get the ticker to work, but I have two sons:

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It looks like you were thin (BMI 19-ish) prior to pregnancy.  Based on the chart below, I would think 35-40 lbs. would be okay for you to gain.  I am on the chubby end prior to pregnancy and have a recommendation of no more than 20 lbs. total.

From the Mayo Clinic: Consider these general guidelines for pregnancy weight gain:

Pre-pregnancy weightRecommended weight gain
    Underweight (BMI less than 18.5) 28 to 40 pounds (about 13 to 18 kilograms)
    Normal weight (BMI 18.5 to 24.9) 25 to 35 pounds (about 11 to 16 kilograms)
    Overweight (BMI 25 to 29.9) 15 to 25 pounds (about 7 to 11 kilograms)
    Obese (BMI 30 or more) 11 to 20 pounds (about 5 to 9 kilograms)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    I'm kind of in a similar position - was 5'2 and 120lbs pre-preg, but I've already gained 13-14 in about 16 weeks... I've also only reduced my exercising a little and have been trying to eat well, so it's freaking me out. My MWs weren't concerned and said that the body sometimes just gains in funny spurts, so I guess that's good. It's just hard to turn off the anxiety when you spend so much of your life trying to keep the pounds down.
  • Options
    I gained 30 pounds already, everyone I know gained around 50 pounds in the 9 months that I talk to. I also quit smoking so that is where alot of it came from, and not being able to drink diet drinks can pack it on also, I figure as long as I lose it who cares! I usually eat only 1000 cals a day and eatting a more normal range to be healthy probably added some also, I used to work out and have gone 3 times since being pregnant, but I also know people who did spinning and yoga 4 days a week and still gained 50 pounds, so just go by what feels ok to you
    imageimageimageimageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    115 lbs at 5'4" is very trim.  Your body may need those extra pounds.  I really wouldn't be concerned.  Maybe monitor your weight weekly and make sure you're not having any large jumps, but other than that stick with what you're doing.  It's very possible that you were underweight or close to it starting out so gaining a little more may be well within your range.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP 1 | EDD 4.1.11 | MMC D&C 10.27.10 | 14 weeks
    BFP 2 | EDD 9.29.11 | MC 1.25.11 | 6 weeks
    BFP 3 | EDD 3.4.12 | MC 9.5.11 | 10 weeks
    BFP 4 | Twins EDD 6.7.12 | MC James 10.31.11 Kellen 1.12.12 | 8 weeks/19 weeks

BFP 5 | EDD 12.24.12 | Rainbow Baby in the Making!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    **Formerly known as Nikki04vb**
    ? PGAL/PAL Welcome ?
  • Options

I think your at a pretty typical weight gain. Though, everyones different. I'm 5'1'' (normally 105-110lbs) and up 25-30lbs at 26 weeks (I do not monitor my weight--I leave it to my doctor). Thus far, doctor has said "Baby looks healthy and your gaining weight. Keep doing what your doing!"

I wouldn't stress so much the weight gain, if your doctor hasn't, as much as I would stress how you are feeling physcally. Some might flame me for that statement but I believe firmly that eating right and staying active are much more crucial than a number on a scale. Likewise, make sure to not put too much emphasis on weighing yourself. Your doctor should be watching that for you and I think weight gain can really make pregnancy depressing. I have a friend who gained 60lbs during her pregnancy. Her typical pre-baby weight was 92lbs and she was absolutely miserable and hated her entire pregnancy because of her weight. Her doctor actually wasn't so much concerned about her actual weight gain that her depression about the gain itself. Needless to say, focus on how you feel phyiscally and emotionally rather than on the scale itself. Your doctor will address concerns and please remember--every woman's pregnancy is different!

• Options

Step away from the scale.....

I'm just an inch sorter than you and started off around 100 lbs...definitely thin and considered " underweight" by my BMI last time I knew my actual weight. I have probably gained around 20-25 lbs or so, but not sure because I turn around on the scale at the OB ( excellent thing to do if you aregoing to obsess over weight gain). Around 12 weeks my doctor actually wanted me to gain MORE weight than I was. She was afraid in late second and third tri that my appetite would decrease and I would eat less...so she wanted fat store for later in pregnancy and for breast feeding. So don't worry you are not gaining too much too soon! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I got on the scale this morning after avoiding it for about 2 weeks. I've gained almost 30lbs now in 25 weeks. I feel good, she's growing and my doctor hasn't said anything about my weight. It's natural to gain weight. As long as I don't down a dozen Krispy Kremes in one sitting, I think I'll be just fine.
  • Options
    I am in the same boat. However, I am 6'2 and as of my last appt in December, I had gained around 20 lbs. I was 20 weeks then. It's so frustrating but as long as you know you are making healthy choices it really is out of your hands. I was so upset I started cutting calories and that is a big no no. I was barely even getting in 1,000 calories to begin with. I am a tall, thinner woman and apparently the baby needs that extra weight. But boy I cannot wait to get back into shape...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You're fine. It's normal. Everyone is different. If that's what your body is doing, then you must need it. If you said you gained 50 lbs already, then there would be cause for concern.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Don't worry about the weight gain. Just listen to your body. It will tell you what it needs.  I usually gain 10lbs in the first trimester but only gain about 30 total. I think sometimes when you are thinner, your body is playing catch up. I have only gained 10lbs so far, which is very unusual for me. I guess every pregnancy is different. So what I am saying is that just because you gained alot in the first half, doesn't mean you will continue at that rate. And even if you do, it is not a big deal if you do end up gaining 40lbs as that would still technically be a normal amount of weight gain.

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"