3rd Trimester
Options

Can I still get an epidural?

My water broke and here I am still undecided on which meds to go with if any. If I go with the analgesic (sp?) like Nubane for instance and it doesn't seem to help enough, do I have a choice to go for the epidural if I want?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Can I still get an epidural?

• Options
    Yes. You can still have an epidural. Nubain is a systemic drug and an epidural while it may still contain a narcotic or narcotic like substance it's confined to the intraspinal space, so the epidural won't increase the amount of analgesics in your systemic circulation. Basically, there aren't concerns that the epidural will also pass into the baby's system as there is when you take an oral analgesic like Nubain or morphine. Since that's the case, it's safe for you to get the epidural later in labor if the pain is too much with an oral or intravenous analgesic. Good luck with your labor.
    Mrs. B Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Instead of stressing about it - go in there with the attitude of "Go With The Flow!"  The nursing/medical staff do this daily and in the moment can advise you on which is the best option given where you're at.  That attitude alone really cut down on the amount of meds I needed because I wasn't stressing about it at all! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't know uf you know this but my doc explained to me that there are two kkinds of analgesics. Morphine and Demoral are long term pain relievers while Nubane and something else only work for about 30-45 mins. My doc told me that if I decide to forgo the epi but decide I am in a lot of pain when I am about 7cm then Nubane is a good option for pain management. At that point it is too late to get an epi but the nubane can give you some relief and ware off before pushing starts.
  • Options
    Im pretty sure you can have both. I was given Nubain and and epi with the birth of my twins but to be honest, I was so out of it from the Nubain I'm not sure how far apart the meds were given. I will not be allowing them to give me Nubain this time. It knocked me out and I don't remember about two days of my PTL.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Why would 7cm be too late for an epi?  I guess it just depends on the hospital.  I work in L&D and they will always give an epi, even at 10cm, as long as they have time to do it before the baby comes out! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I think it all really depends what you want. Drugs go to the baby, so you might have a more sleepy baby at birth, but epidurals only numb you. You can still feel things (you aren't totally numb), but it's like pins and needles to take the edge off.  

There is still time ti go with one or both, but don't wait too close to the end for the epidural if you want one because it takes a while to work. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"