Preemies

Intro and question about "Mommy Guilt"

Hello,

I've been lurking for 3 1/2 weeks since I started with PTL. Please excuse this post if it rambles but I'm still dealing with the emotions of a horrible delivery and many health complications afterwards.

A brief description of my birth story, as it's very new and painful for me, I started with PTL pains on a Sunday, had a negative fFN test, went back to the hospital daily with timeable contractions, Friday morning we left the hospital and went back 2 hours later, and found that I was fully dilated and effaced with no choice but to do a VBAC to a Frank Breech baby (I was later told that I'm part of the 2% that have false negative fFN tests).  My son was born at 34 weeks, 1 day, weighing 7 pounds, 1 ounce and had full lung capacity.  He was whisked to the NICU right after his birth, where he spent the first week of his life. 

After the birth, it was discovered that I had a retained placenta and needed a D&E immediately following his birth.  On Saturday night, I spiked a fever over 104 and was confined to my bed and not allowed in the NICU that night.  On Sunday, when I was dealing with emotions of leaving my newborn son, I was informed by the doctor that they had discovered that I had E Coli in my uterus and was very sick.  Upon meeting with the Infectious Disease doctor, I was told that when they went in to get the retained placenta, they introduced E Coli into my uterus, which got into my blood and was eating the good white blood cells (I had 8 transfusions while in the hospital becuase of the infection) and making me septic (spelling??).  On Monday, I was given an ultrasound and it was discovered that I had placenta remaining in my uterus.  I went back into surgery for D&E #2, where it was discovered that 50% of my placenta remained in my uterus.  After the D&E, while in recovery, I went into Congestive Heart Failure becuase of the abundance of fluids that I was being given via IV and ended up in ICU from Monday until Wednesday night.  Wednesday night I was moved back to the Post Partum floor, scared to death that I was going to have heart issues again and that it was too late to bond with my son (who was, thankfully, bonding with my husband, who was spendinghours in the NICU while I was in ICU or in my room, on bedrest).  On Friday, a week following my son's   birth, both he and I were discharged home, he being perfectly healthy and me, with a PICC line for IV antibiotics that I would need to give myself daily. 

Needless to say, through the whole ordeal, I was unable to pump or breastfeed (milk never came in) and was only able to visit the NICU 4 days.  While I feel very bonded to my son now, I have such guilt over him being born early, me getting sick, not being able to breastfeed, or bond with him as much as I could have at that time (he was under the lights for 2 days while this was going on).  I struggle with these guilt feelings daily.  My question for you ladies, is there anything you read/did to deal with the Mommy Guilt?  I want to look into seeing a therapist about my traumatic birth experience and subsequent health issues that I experienced but I'm unsure if there are therapists that deal with the trauma of bad deliveries and the guilt associated with the premature birth? Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

In addition to dealing with this, I'm also trying to adjust to having a preemie, who, thank God, is very healthy, but is a new experience for me.

Re: Intro and question about "Mommy Guilt"

• Congratulations on your healthy baby and I'm so happy that you made it through all that you had to physically deal with. I don't know when/how/if the mommy guilt goes away but try not to beat yourself up about it (easier said than done) because there was NOTHING you could have done to prevent all of the issues you had after the baby was born. I still have a hard time as I blame myself for my daugter's premature birth. Rationally I know that I couldn't have prevented developing preeclampsia but there is still something in me that feels responsible.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Photobucket
  • Welcome and congrats on a healthy LO. Your birth experience sounds terrifying, and it is totally understandable that you are still dealing with the emotions of it all. If your OB doesn't have any good suggestions for a therapist, another resource would be the NICU social worker if there was one. I'm sure they have recommendations for ones that have dealt with traumatic births. Finally, huge hugs to you. You have NOTHING to feel guilty about, but I know how those doubts can creep in. I'm also glad the bonding is happening. I wasn't able to hold my son for a month, and it took several weeks to actually feel like his mother. But, I can assure you that 1. He doesn't remember and 2. The bond is unbreakable now! Be kind to yourself on this one.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh dear...that sounds terrible.  I think these days we are so used to hearing about successful deliveries that we forget that some moms deal with terrible health problems after.  I'm sorry you dealt with not only a premature birth but also many health issues after.  I know it's not easy but please don't feel guilty about not being able to breastfeed.  This was out of your control.  If you feel like you need to seek therapy, by all means, do that.  I'm sure there are a load of therapists who can help you get over your mommy guilt.  Keep you head up and know that we are here if you ever need to vent or just talk.
  • Oh my gosh.  What a hard way to give birth do your baby.  I'm so sorry you went through all of this, and I'm so glad you're okay now.

To answer your questions:  I'd definitely recommend a therapist.  I've been seeing one for PTSD following my son's birth, and it's been extremely helpful.  Many of the ladies on this board have struggled with PPD / PPA / PTSD, so you certainly aren't alone there.  Don't feel bad about the feelings you have.  They're totally normal given everything you've gone through.  Even now, 11 months later, I still struggle with my feelings.  And I think about the NICU every single day.

My LC told me that every woman has to tell their L&D story 100 times to process it.  NICU mommies get the chance to tell it many many more times than that.  Finding a counselor will help with that so much. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageimage
  • Oh I am so sorry for your tramatic hospitalization.

I want to say that I fully believe in having a counselor to help with the guilt. You are a great mom and what happened isn't your fault. Plenty of moms bond very well with their babies who aren't breastfed. You did the best you could and it seems that your husband was physically in the NICU when you couldn't be. *hugs* to you. I also feel guilt feelings and have to see a couselor for help. =)

• So sorry to hear about all of this how horrible! I am glad you made it through and your LO and you were able to go home.
    Jenn Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • oh my gosh, I am so sorry you have gone through all of this. Please don't feel guilty...you couldn't control any of this. You are a great mommy! I think talking to a therapist would be a great idea. At the very least, it can't hurt. I wish all the best to you and your family!! xoxo
  • SO sorry that you had to go through all of this! Your birth story was very traumatic, but I am glad that you and your son are doing better now! I would definitely look into seeing a counselor in order to help process your feelings. Just know that it is perfectly normal to feel guilt; after all...our babies came earlier than expected...but we have to realize that we are not to blame. Things just happen, even though that's hard to process. I struggled with a lot of guilt when my son was born 12 weeks early due to severe pre-eclampsia. It was me...my fault...didn't know what I did wrong or what measures I could've taken to prevent it from happening! But this experienced has prepared me for becoming more than just a mom...it made me realize that I had strengths I never knew I had, and of course weaknesses; but I was always ready to learn methods, tricks, and procedures on how to do things effectively for my son. I was always afraid to swallow pills (i know...mind block), but after being in the hospital and realizing that I needed to get better, not just for myself, but for him...i did it! This experience will forever change your life. Talking out the most traumatic parts, as well as the good parts with someone is always a plus. I hope you find one that is awesome! Keep us posted!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"