Breastfeeding
Options

Please help! Four teeth = nursing strike?

My DD is on day 4 of a nursing strike. We've been to the pedi and there is nothing going on medically except that she is cutting four top teeth all at once (poor baby!) which the pedi says may be the cause.

DD takes her bottle fine, she has always going between breast and bottle because of her prematurity and NICU stay. I'm pumping constantly but already starting to freak out about supply issues since I've always struggled to keep up (another preemie thing). 

Does anyone have any advice about how to get her to BF again soon? She literally won't go near my nipples. As in the second I try to feed her (in every position possible) she starts screaming, arching her back, and pushing me away. I don't know what to do at this point and I'm starting to hit my stress limits :(

Re: Please help! Four teeth = nursing strike?

• Options
    Back arching actually can be a sign of reflux. But if this is the first she's done it, maybe it's not in this case. Anyway, have you given her ibuprofen or a chilled washcloth or frozen fruit in a mesh teether? Doing any of those things prior to nursing might take the edge off so she can nurse comfortably.
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Options

imageshotzie:
    Back arching actually can be a sign of reflux. But if this is the first she's done it, maybe it's not in this case. Anyway, have you given her ibuprofen or a chilled washcloth or frozen fruit in a mesh teether? Doing any of those things prior to nursing might take the edge off so she can nurse comfortably.

She is on several medications for reflux but I don't think that's the problem right now since she is eating her bottle comfortably and the meds are at the right doses. She is devouring anything cold so we give her lots of that. We just started her on ibuprofen so maybe that will help. 

I think the bottle must not rub her gums the same as the breast? I don't know....but she is willing to put anything in her mouth as long as its not my breast Sad 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

DD is still on Zantac for reflux.  There were times she'd take a bottle, but refuse the breast b/c we tend to hold them more upright when giving a bottle. 

Anyway, yes, it takes more sucking power on LO's part when nursing as opposed to sucking on a bottle.  So when they're teething, sometimes they prefer the bottle.  I know it's hard when you feel like LO is rejecting you.  Hopefully the ibuprofen will help and she'll be willing to nurse.  You could also try pumping for a minute and putting a few drops of milk on your nipple to entice her and then she won't have to work for the letdown. 

someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Options
    imageshotzie:

DD is still on Zantac for reflux.  There were times she'd take a bottle, but refuse the breast b/c we tend to hold them more upright when giving a bottle. 

Anyway, yes, it takes more sucking power on LO's part when nursing as opposed to sucking on a bottle.  So when they're teething, sometimes they prefer the bottle.  I know it's hard when you feel like LO is rejecting you.  Hopefully the ibuprofen will help and she'll be willing to nurse.  You could also try pumping for a minute and putting a few drops of milk on your nipple to entice her and then she won't have to work for the letdown. 

Thanks-I will see if she does better if I pump first. I think a good part of my stress is due the fact it was SO hard to establish breastfeeding in the NICU and I don't want to go through that again. However she did let me express a tiny bit into her mouth at the last feed so I'll take that as a good sign and keep trying. Poor baby-four teeth at once sounds awful

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"