Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Will getting baby up earlier help with night sleeping?

My LO wakes up at 8am and my DH thinks that I should get up for the day with her at 6am to make her go to bed earlier.  Will this work?

Formerly the untaggable Mrs. D S Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}

Re: Will getting baby up earlier help with night sleeping?

• Options
    Not necessarily. I started waking up LO for daycare when I went back to work, and it didn't seem to affect the time she went to bed. She did nap more. Now she is in the habit of waking around 7, then eating, some play time, then napping around 9 or 9:30 (she didn't used to nap in the mornings at all). She used to be the anti-napper, went to bed around 8 or 8:30pm, and woke up around 8, sometimes even 9am. Now it's sleep around 10pm, then waking around 7am or earlier. So, it may shift her sleep pattern, but not necessarily in the way you expect.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I haven't found that to work for us.. if she gets up earlier she naps more during the day. If I put her to bed later she still wakes up at the same time. 

definitely doesn't work for us.. I try to be greatful that LO sleeps til 8am even if she did wake up for a night feed... (not that its right) but I am in denial that it will get better soon!! :s she did cut two teeth together last week so we will see once we are over this hump if we can work on STTN.

Good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It might or it might not. Alot of it is trial and error. You can try shortening the naps or making sure your LO is awake by a certain time in the day to make bedtime easier.
    old bumpie, new name ds1 3/2009 ds2 6/2011
  • Options
    I was putting my baby to bed at 9pm and waking her up at 8am. Every night, she would wake around 2 or 3 am for an hour. So I changed our schedule and started waking up with her at 7 or 730 am instead. She was sleeping through the night within days. I'm sure its not the same for everyone, but if you do change their schedule that much, I would suggest doing it slowly to save you and your baby a lot of headache! :)
    **JustAnotherMommy**
  • Options

Well Weissbluth would say the ideal time to wake up in the morning is 7am and it should be the only time you might consider waking up a sleeping baby.  Waking up around 7am preserves the early morning nap which helps keep the earlier bedtime which works really well for a lot of babies.

My little guy is down at 7pm (sometimes a little sooner, not usually any later) wakes up 1-2 times for a feeding (which we are totally okay with) and wakes up on his own usually anywhere from 6:45-7:45am.  Then does a nap around 9 and the afternoon nap around 1:30 or 2pm.  Enforcing the early bedtime was the best thing we ever did!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"