Multiples
Options

Failed 1 hr glucose test - opinions

Hi ladies -

I think this may be my first time posting, but wanted opinions from people who have been through this before.

I'm 29 weeks pregnant with twins (obvs) and failed my 1 hr glucose test yesterday by 28 points (130 is the goal, 158 was my score.)

Failing the 1 hr seems quite common, but I wanted your opinion on if the 3 hour is ABSOLUTELY necessary?  I know it's a question for my doctor, which I will see next week and ask, but wanted your thoughts as well.

Since the earliest I'll be able to take the 3 hour is 31 weeks, and my doctor seems to think we'll go around 36, the test just seems unnecessary to me.  (Clearly I'm trying to think of any excuse to get out of it since the 1 hour almost made me vomit and pass out.)

Have any of you refused the 3 hour?  Any of you had a score like mine and it turned out to be gestational diabetes?  Or not?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Failed 1 hr glucose test - opinions

• Options
    I too failed my 1 hour with a number of 156, although they told me anything over 140 was abnormal.  So I did the 3 hour last Friday.  I ended up failing that one too and was told today I have gestational diabetes.  I will have to meet with a dietitian to learn about what my diet should be and how to check my sugar.  It sounds like there are some complications that can be caused by GD if the sugar levels are not kept under control.  So, my opinion, do the 3 hour.  No sense in risking problems popping up. :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for the response.  How was the 3 hour? Is it as bad as I'm imagining?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was bored more than anything.  I ended up being there 4 hours because they do a blood draw when you get there to get a baseline.  So I had to wait for it to come back before even drinking the stuff.  I fully expected to get light headed, or sick, or something, but I really didn't.  I did feel a little weak not having eaten anything for so long, but it wasn't as bad as I'd thought.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I would go ahead and take the test, even though you only have a few weeks left. If you do have GD, there's a lot a dietician could do in those last weeks to help ensure your babies are as healthy as possible, and you too of course!

Good luck!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I would definitely take the 3 hour test.  There can be major complications if GD is left untreated so I wouldn't risk it.  My MFM wanted me to do the test twice.  I failed the one hour the first time by only 2 points and failed by more the second time.  I passed the 3 hour both times.  I didn't get sick, mostly just bored.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would 100% take the test. I failed the 1 hour by less then 10 points did the 3 hour expecting to pass and failed it. There can be issues from having it untreated even if just by changing diet and can make babies a lot larger. Good luck with test. I am doing a 2 hour test at my 6 week check just to be sure it is all better. 
  • Options
    The only way I would consider asking about not taking it is if you're prepared to follow the GD diet and check your blood anyway. Basically, if you're okay with assuming that you have GD and acting accordingly it couldn't hurt to ask your doctor if she's okay with doing that. But on my BMB there are a bunch of women who failed the one hour and passed the 3 hour, and personally I'd rather avoid having to follow that strict diet if possible.
  • Options

I would definitely go through with the 3 hour test.  Bring a book to keep you occupied in between draws.  The sugar stuff is thicker than the 1st test sugar stuff, but it's do-able.  For your babies, you can do it!  HUGS

It's really important to keep the sugar levels under control.  Not only could they be born larger because of the sugar, but they can be born with high blook sugar themselves.  After being born, their sugar levels will drop fast from not being attached to you via the placenta.  The doctors would have to monitor the babies, etc.  You might as well understand where your levels are now, control them, and bypass those complications.  The doctors will likely monitor them anyway when they are born (as they will monitor my girls when they are born), but it's worth all the hassle. 

And I have to say, I felt a lot of dread about it myself, but after reading up on GD, I decided the doc knows best.  Good luck!   

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I failed the 1 hours and then passed the 3 hour.  I took it, I never even considered that it would be an option to not take it.  It wasn't fun, but it also wasn't the worst day in my life.  GL to you!!
  • Options
    Definitely do the 3 hour! It's not bad just the blood draws but you can handle it!! I failed with exactly 158 also the one hour. Unfortunately even though 2 of my 3 hour numbers were normal and the other two were slightly out of range I have to do the meter. It sucks I won't lie (you check your sugar 4 times a day!!) but you do what you have to do for your babies!
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"