Blended Families
Options

How would you handle grown child unauthorized cc use?

I will try to make this short.

DH ordered college books for older daughter 1st semester thru Chegg. Some kind of rental thing you can do.He had been trying since June (high school graduation) to discuss him transfering some of his GI bill to her. She won't return phone calls, flat out ignores him. Until it was time for college to start when she told him about Chegg to order some books she wanted/needed for 1st semester.

He ordered them and told her AGAIN he'd like to hear from her more than just when she wanted something, yadda yadda. She has GI $ (a lot) transferred to her but since she won't return calls, whatever the final step is to get it to the school hasn't happened. I don't know if she forgot, doesn't understand how much she would get (including a stipend) or what.It would have paid for all the books 2nd semester which I guess is starting soon because this morning I logged on to our bank account to make sure my 1st direct deposit from new job went in and low and behold the child ordered books and charged it to the card on file (DH's) without telling him. She didn't even call /msg back Merry Christmas but she used his card without bothering to tell him. Even if it were an accident, wouldn't you TELL the person hey your card accidentally got chgd? It wasn't but I'm just trying to think of all angles.

How should DH handle this in your opinion?

Re: How would you handle grown child unauthorized cc use?

• Options

First, if I were your DH, I'd de-activate the card on the account.

Second, I'd call her up immediately and tell her that she is not to charge anything to your card/account again without getting approval.

Third, if she does not make more of an effort in your relationship, he will not continue to financially support her. A face to face, sit down visit to her might be in order.

And last.  If you have any other children.  Start teaching them right now that rudeness, disrespect, and entitlement will get you nowhere in your household and there are consequences. 

• Options
    That`s called stealing, I would not tolerate this, especially since she is so ungrateful. He should tell her that she needs to reimburse him or he will report it stolen to the company.
    No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh sweet geebies. I would hunt her down. I would immediately dispute the charges with the cc company. However, how did she know the account password? Even when charging to an established account online you have to enter a password, the security code, something otherwise it would be totally unprotected. That's a little fishy. Remove the card from the account. Your h needs to have a come to Jesus talk with her right now. This is completely unacceptable and she certainly should know better. Ohhhhhh I would be pissed.
  • Options

So far this morning DH contacted the debit/cc company and did dispute the charge.

Shouldn't be a problem with the $ getting reveresed back to account. He also removed his card from the Chegg account where he initially ordered the books, I think because her email was associated with the Chegg account that is how she was able to choose his card again as the method of payment. (This is why I feel it wasn't an accident).

I don't know how he will have any kind of talk with her, when she won't return phone calls even for a "Merry Christmas" or here kid I'm gifting you my GI Bill.

I just know this is gonna turn around and be HIS fault, he'll be the bad guy (in her eyes and probably the BM). I'm just flabbergasted she would do something like this.

• Options
    image+j+k+:

First, if I were your DH, I'd de-activate the card on the account.

Second, I'd call her up immediately and tell her that she is not to charge anything to your card/account again without getting approval.

Third, if she does not make more of an effort in your relationship, he will not continue to financially support her. A face to face, sit down visit to her might be in order.

And last.  If you have any other children.  Start teaching them right now that rudeness, disrespect, and entitlement will get you nowhere in your household and there are consequences. 

All of this!!

BabyFruit Ticker
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageHopeforthebest:

I just know this is gonna turn around and be HIS fault, he'll be the bad guy (in her eyes and probably the BM). I'm just flabbergasted she would do something like this.

Simple.  "DD, if you called me back one of the X amount of times I called you then I could have helped you get the money you needed from the GI bill I am so graciously trying to gift to you but instead you chose to use my CC without permission and without so much as letting me know it happened."  There is no argument, if she argues then he tells her when she can be respectful he will talk to her and he hangs up.  He can also remind her that stealing is criminal.

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    I would do what your DH did, thankfully, and dispute the cc charge.  I don't know that they'll revoke the charges since it was attached to the account with your husband's account but it's very likely since she wasn't an authorized user on the account.  I'd also be much less willing to generously share my GI bill with her given how little she appreciates what you've been doing for her.

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"