3rd Trimester
Options

WWYD?

I have to start off by saying, I apparently have a non-typical pattern in terms of labor.  On Wed my cervix was 4cm and 80% dilated.  I had contractions all day and then yesterday, not much happened.  Today, I've had lots of painful contractions, but they aren't regular.  They do seem more intense and lasting longer.  I also have had lots of discharge, some with some light pink blood.  When talking to my doula, she said this is normal towards the end, as it is a sign that the cervix is dilating.  She suggested that I do kick counts to make sure the baby is still active.  I haven't noticed much movement, but I have been busy all day.  

The question I have is, that if I go to the hospital to get checked out and am 6 or 7cm dilated, then they will not let me leave.  So I could end up being in the hospital longer.  I also am strep B positive, so I know my OB wanted me to come in earlier than later so they can give me IV antibiotics.  

Would you go to get checked out or do you think I should wait until my body goes into "real" labor or my water breaks?  I also want to go as natural as possible and am worried they will want to break my water or give me pitocin.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: WWYD?

• Options
    Have you tried to drink some juice and relax on your side for the kick count? I would try that before going to the hospital to get checked. GL!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Honesty you are already 4cm and strep B positive. At 6-7 cm that sometimes isn't enough time to get the antibiotics in. Some women dilate really quickly in transition. Also, most women have to have their water broken or don't break until your almost 10cm. I would honestly go get checked just to make sure. You need those antibiotics. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am also strep B positive this pregnancy and my doctor said to go straight in when contractions were every 5 mins for an hour or if my water breaks to go in ASAP. I would eat something and then lay on your left side for an hour and he/she should start moving for your kick count. and lots of water ofcourse! Goodluck!
    Daisypath - (fpox)Lilypie - (cr8G)  Lilypie - (jTpT)Lilypie - (LZoT)
    Started Dating DH 09/03/2009 Married 07/01/2011 
    Surprise BFP 10/18/2008 EDD 06/19/2009 DS #1 Born 06/16/2009
    TTC #2 12/2010 BFP 05/15/2011 EDD 01/09/2012 DS #2 Born 01/11/2012
    DH adopted DS #1 06/25/2012
    TTC #3 06/2013 BFP 02/19/2014 EDD 10/30/2014 DS #3 Born 10/10/2014

• Options

I would go get checked out.  Like PP said, if you are GBS + you need to get the antibiotics in, otherwise they will want to draw labs on baby.  I'm not sure if the policies on this are the same everywhere, but where I work the first dose of antibiotics needs to be completed at least 4 hours before you deliver to avoid labs being drawn on the baby. 

Also, if the baby is not showing signs of distress you can just ask to not receive pitocin or have your water broken.

Or maybe you're still 4cm and they'll let you go home.  

• Options

Unless your water is broken or you have a fever, the risk of passing GBS to your baby is low.  Did your OB/MW tell you how long you have to have antibiotics for?  My MW said 4 hours. With DS#2, I think I was 7 cm when I got to the hospital and he was born 3 hours later (I was GBS- with him. This is just an example of time).  So if you are a FTM, you will most likely have time to get the antibiotic course.  If you don't, they will keep you in the hospital longer to make sure the baby is OK.

I would agree with PP about drinking juice and laying on your left side to do a kick count.  And I, personally, would wait until my contractions will regular before going to the hospital.

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Just remember when in the hospital they  can't make you have pitocin or anything else that is against your wishes. Sometimes we cave because of pain and we get talked into things. Have someone help you on your behalf and remind you that you want to go natural. You can do it!!
  • Options

imageelizxu:
    Have you tried to drink some juice and relax on your side for the kick count? I would try that before going to the hospital to get checked. GL!!

Do this first.  No need to go in if it turns out to be false labor.

The patient has the right to refuse treatment, so they can't force you into rupturing your membranes or getting pit.

If ctx do become regular and more painful despite rest and hydration, don't wait too long to go in. Those antibiotics are to protect the baby from respiratory complications of GBS.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"