Preemies
Options

Pushing up using forearms tips?

Hi ladies, havent posted in a while because life has been pretty busy, but i needed a piece of advice because i am feeling a little down. My son is now 5 months and has difficulty pushing up on his forearms to lift his head up. I know that he was born 12 weeks early and this factors in it, but i wanted to know if any of you had some tips and tricks on how to help him reach this milestone? He moves his legs very much duruing tummy time, which almost makes it look as if once he gets the hang of this lifting himself up thing, he would be ready to crawl, but i just dont know what else to do. We do tummy time a few times a day already....
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Pushing up using forearms tips?

• Options
    So, he's 5 months actual? Meaning 2 months adjusted? If that's the case, I really wouldn't worry. You can discuss it with your pedi. Does he have good head control? Does he lift his head when on his tummy? Does he see EI at all? I would just discuss it will your pedi but babies do things on their own time- early or not. I get frustrated too but then I think back and think of how far she's come and I try not to worry too much. As far as trying to help them reach the milestone, do you put toys out that he likes while on his tummy? If they see something that interests them like toys or a mirror they can see themself in, they are more likely to lift up. Good luck!
  • Options
    Sounds like you're doing great! Try not to worry though I know that's hard!! For your DS adjusted age he shouldnt be doing that yet...NB-phase lasts forever for prems...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I agree with the other posters in that for a 2 month adjusted age, he seems okay for that milestone.  However, if you want to help him as he gets older, here are some tips that DD's occupational therapist gave us when we were trying to help her with pushing up with her arms during tummy time:

Be sure his elbows are tucked under and are squarely in line with his shoulders.

Roll up a blanket and tuck it under his chest to help him lift his head and chest.

Push down on his bottom when he's on his tummy to help adjust his center of gravity (those heads are big and heavy!)

Get down on the floor with him so your face is directly across from his.  He needs something entertaining to encourage him to lift himself up, and you are what he most wants to look at.

Good luck!

Ellie, mommy to Kate (4.20.06), Andrew (3.18.08) & Natalie (4.19.11), born at 34w1d Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Thanks so much ladies for the tips! Yes, I have used all of these techniques except pushing down on his bottom when is on his tummy! I'm excited about trying it tomorrow! Besides that, he does have plenty of bright toys, we get down with him on the floor during his tummy time, etc. Thanks for the boost of confidence. It's just so hard to remember that our babies are at an "adjusted age" when he appears to be doing well in every other aspect. *sigh*. Thanks for reading, and for the advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"