Trouble TTC

No fertility coverage and just could use some advice

Hi ladies,

I am really sorry to jump in like this... I have been procrastinating joining a forum for TTC because it would mean I am actually putting myself through this... again :(

I am newly remarried and want another child (his first, my 3rd). The first two I went through IF treatments (#1 clomid only 2nd round, one m/c) (2nd in the end injectables 4th round IUI with another m/c). I don't know why I am even doing this to myself... I can't go through all that again yet i feel like I can't turn back. 

Last time I had some ferility coverage which helped (50%) but this time around I have none :(

I am thinking of ordering online lab tests to at least see if anything has changed. Anyone done this before? I am in a new generation of TTC now and I feel old at 34yo because of it LOL! The first time around was 1998-2000 and the 2nd time was 2003-2004 and it feel like so much has changed yet some things not at all.

Since TTC the last two times I have lost 75 pounds (5years ago) and my cycles are very regular (I had anovulatory issues in the past) so I was wondering if maybe I can do this on my own (fooling myself probably). 

I live in the Bay area CA and just wish i could find a clinic that was upfront about costs... That or at least get my OBGYN to preform tests :( I am CD1 and need to get my FSH done soon or this cycle will be a bust.

Ok that was a lot of info.. sorry *blush*

Any advice? Should I have posted this elsewhere on a different board?

Lucy
m/c 99'
C born 2000 (clomid 3rd cyle after 2 years TTC)
m/c '03 (3rd IUI)
L born '04 (4th IUI with injectables after 2 years TTC)

Currently TTC #3
cycle 5

Re: No fertility coverage and just could use some advice

• What was your diagnosis previously? Your fertility can change so much in that time period so you might want to have all the testing done again. However, if your only issues were ovulation then its NOT naive to think you can do it on your own. Having lost the weight you did could be enough to make you ovulate regularly now. If that is the case, chart your BBT, gets some OPKs and give it a shot on your own for a while. If no luck after 6 months then go to RE.  However, if you had a diagnosis of PCOS or something like that then it is pretty unlikely to conceive without assistance (but it does happen somehow).  
  • The cheapest thing you can do is buy yourself OPKs (ovation predictor kits) and see if you ovulate. That's always a good start. If you get positive OPKs, I'd suggest trying for a few months on your own. But, you could just go to your Obgyn and have a work up done, insurance does pay for that usually. A lot of things can change over time, so you may not have to go through fertility treatments. Before sending you to and RE they may want to look at your tubes, do a sonogram, and some bloodwork and that will tell you a lot.

If you aren't ovulating and you have to pay for fertility treatments out of pocket, you are one of the lucky ones. There are a lot of us on this board that are paying for IUIs and IVF out of pocket, so it's doable!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Where in the Bay area are you?  I'm in the south bay and have a great OB through PAMF who is great about prices.  I have IF testing coverage, but all treatment is OOP.  On my initial visit she gave me a price list with billing codes so I could call my insurance and have them run the codes to tell me if I had any coverage.

I've also heard great things about the RE program at Stanford.  I haven't been there yet, but I'm sure they are used to this question and they should be able to give you answers.

Let me know if you want more info about either of these.  I do agree that charting and using OPKs will give you a lot of information. And you may be able to avoid treatment. 

• THANK YOU LADIES! I needed to bounce some things off of someone who knew so this has calmed me quite a bit. 

I started charting again last month and it was a flop... I lost a friend trageicly early in the cycle and for the first time in over a year my cycle was later than normal (26-28 days). I should have just sucked it up and gone with OPK but after using them last time and just getting annoyed I fought it. Looking back it's ather funny because an OPK isn't going to work unless you actually ovulate LOL! But I had no idea. I did order some today actually to see. I also did that first response fertility test as silly as that is I am sure, but it came back with no line so who knows.

My temps are still lower than most which frightens me 96.6ish and then to the mid-97 after ovulation. But I run a low temp all the time so I guess it's ok. 

As for my diagnosis.. I never got one really- unexplained I guess. I have so many signs of PCOS but they never said I had it and other than one cycle on clomid, I never really had any cysts. And am I *assuming* that you have to have the cysts? 

Anyway, the first time around it was a combo of my annovulation and ex's fertility (low count- corrected itself when he took better care of himself). The second time around they did testing at the get go and my progesterone was low so I am assuming that even though I didn't seem annovulatory I was at the time (cycles varied from 32-36days instead of months and months earlier in my life). 

Cst2CstBride- I am also south bay and would love the info! I have always dealt with Kaiser and just switched to a PPO for the first time EVER! kinda scary LOL! Kaiser want $560 just for the consult. My NP (I dealt with her mainly) is still there so part of me thinks I should just do it but I am irked I have to pay just to talk to someone when i know exactly what I want from them and have been there 2x and returning fee is less but since it's been so long it doesn't count. Oh well...

Sorry to babble... 

Lucy
    m/c 99'
    m/c '03 (3rd IUI)

Currently TTC #3
    cycle 5
  • Oh and they never did an HSG because I have an iodine allergy... Do they use something else now? I know in Canada they did but not here so I was never able to see if I had an issue with a tube or not :(
    Lucy
    m/c 99'
    m/c '03 (3rd IUI)

Currently TTC #3
    cycle 5
  • I just sent you a PM.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"