Nurseries and Baby Gear

Graco Snugride 22 vs. 30

Is there really any difference in these seats, besides a 1 inch height max and the weight limit? I saw that they both weigh 7.5 pounds by themselves and the weight of the seat is probably the most important thing to us, since I don't want to lug around a heavy seat with the baby in it.

I know he will grow out in height faster than weight, so does it matter if we're just comparing these two? I'm leaning towards the 22 because I like the colors it comes in better (I know that's not the reason you get the seat!) but obviously if the 30 would be a better choice, then we will go with that one. They seem fairly comparable, but any insight as to why one might be better than the other would be appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Graco Snugride 22 vs. 30

• I have a Chicco but we did get the lower weight seat for the reasons you listed. DS was tall and outgrew it by 6-7 months and he was still a few pounds from the weight limit. Plus I was sick of lugging him around by then. Either choice is a good one, I really came down to not wanting to spend the extra money when I knew we probably wouldn't get extra benefit. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got so sick of carrying around DD by the time she hit 20lbs.  We had a seat with a limit up to 30 but we switched to the convertible soon after DD hit 20lbs.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Personally, I'd go with the 35 over either of those. Yes, there is a weight difference, but once they are a bit bigger, there is no reason to carry the seat around, just leave it in the car like you would with a convertible. I prefer it over the 22 because it has features that are so worth the $$. I would write the huge novel of comparison, but you can peek on the Graco website and compare.

Or go with the 22, spend less on the seat, and go for broke on the convertible.

• We have the Snugride35 and stopped using it when he was about 16lbs. Not that he was too heavy to lug (he was getting there, but I had planned on leaving it in the car) but because he wanted to sit up more instead of the lying down position of the infant carrier.
  • We have a smaller car (Old RAV 4) and bought a snugride 35.  First of all, its heavy.  Secondly, its longer and I so wish we had a 22 or 30 because we cannot use the front passenger seat.

We moved to a convert car seat earlier than 35 lbs because it was just shorter enough that we can use the front seat now.

I wish I had known that. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'd go with the larger carseat. We had our dd in her infant carseat until about 16 months. She's on the small end of the height/weight range but she didn't mind being in an infant seat at all. She only weighs about 22lbs now but I didn't have any trouble carrying her in the seat when she was close to 20lbs. It was also nice not to have to buy another carseat for my husband's car right away and to just be able to switch back and forth using the bases. We also used the carseat with her stroller a lot up until she was probably one year. She liked facing me rather than facing out sitting in the stroller (hindsight, I should have bought the City Select or a parent-facing stroller in the first place).

Photo taken at 16 months old
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We had a Snugride 22.  We enjoyed it but he did grow out of it by 6 months.  He is abnormally tall (he was 29.5" at 6 months, he was only 16 lbs).  We just moved him over to the convertible.  I have no regrets not buying a higher limit seat because we would still need to get a convertible at somepoint.  It's not like you can avoid it. 
    Sorry no paragraphs, bumping from my phone.
    I once had a picture until the trolls showed up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC #1 7/08 PCOS dx 8/28/04 Met 1000 mg and Clomid cycles 1-4 1/6/09-5/2/09 BFN
    Clomid 100mg 6/4/09=O'd=BFP on 6/29/09! Beta@14DPO 70.8 Beta@16DPO 152. EDD 3/7/10.
    First u/s on 7/13/09 @6w0d heard and saw heartbeat 102 bpm.
    K M #1 arrived via c/s 3/1/10 10 lbs, 22 inches long at 39 weeks.

Surprise expecting #2. Med-free BFP on 8/1/11! Beta@15DPO 58.2 Beta@17DPO 198.3 Beta@23DPO 2338. EDD 4/9/12
    K M #2 arrived via c/s 3/19/12 9 lbs 2 oz, 21 inches long at 37 weeks.
    "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane."
  • We had the 35. I was able to use it for an extended period of time, after he turned one. Which meant I was able to use my Graco stroller frame (Snap & Go type frame) for airport travel and use the adapter for my UppaBaby Vista a lot longer than most. It's not light but to me it was worth it because we had two bases and just one seat. My son is not small at all, always in the 75th - 90th percentile for height & weight so I have a hard time believe people when they say their child outgrow the 30 or 30 before they turned one. There was more than an inch from the top of the seat to his head and he wasn't (and still isn't) near the weight limit. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • PSA: Our Menards store has the Snugride travel system on sale for $129.99 (reg price $179.99).
    June 2012 Mom (2.5 yr old boy), July 2015 Mom (team green), Babywearing newbie/enthusiast
    Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"