Breastfeeding
Options

3 week old exclusively breastfed refusing feedings not pooping- HELP!

Has anyone on here had their little one suddenly stop pooping all together? My son, who is three weeks old as of Wednesday, started straining really hard and crying to pass gas and to poop about a week and a half ago. Pedi said it was fine- just a little difficult for him and to massage his belly and 'bicycle' his legs. That didn't help. 

Wednesday night he screamed for two hours straining and then barely sleeping for a few minutes before waking and doing it all over again. He hadn't pooped for 12 hours and was in pain. I took him to the ER where I was treated like a paranoid FTM and told it was colic and he was fine. They gave him a suppository and sent us home. He hasn't pooped since.

He's now refusing feedings and has gone from a baby that pooped with every feeding (every 2-3 hours) to a baby that wants to sleep for 5-6 hours, refuses feedings and doesn't poop at all.

I'm so worried about him it's making me feel sick. Please someone tell me they've gone through something similar and what happened. I've called the Pedi's office two days in a row now and they haven't returned my calls. No one is taking me seriously and I have a gut feeling that something is wrong.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imagePregnancy Ticker

Re: 3 week old exclusively breastfed refusing feedings not pooping- HELP!

• Options
    I would just go to your Pedi's office if you can.  At 3 weeks old that would bother me too.  LO has gone 24 hours before without pooping but she was a bit older at that point.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would suggest giving your pedi a call to schedule a visit asap.  If it's something that they can help with, your LO will get relief quickly, hopefully.  The rule usually is that if LO's in pain and really straining, to give the pedi a call.  Won't hurt to be cautious.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

it's not abnormal for a BF baby to not poop fora few days.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Options
    imageSnoopyLuv:

it's not abnormal for a BF baby to not poop fora few days.

While this is true, the part about refusing feedings and suddenly wanting to sleep 5-6 hours between would bother me. While not likely, there is the possibility of a bowel obstruction and he is not eating because he feels full.

How many wet diapers per day is he having? I would call the pediatrician just to be safe.

imageimage
  • Options
    I'm sorry LO is having such a rough time. It definitely seems like something is bothering him. Has anything in your diet changed recently? The most common thing to bother breastfed babies is dairy and soy in mom's diet. You might try cutting back on those to see if that helps. Also, you need a new pedi. Not getting a call back once is unacceptable, let alone twice.
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Options
    How long as it been between calls?? If it's been several hours, I would be looking for a new one! If you really feel something is wrong, don't hesitate to get a 2nd opinion from a different pedi. Is LO still having 6-8 wet diapers?
  • Options
    Well, just got back from the pedi's office. ( I called and chewed out several people. ) Doc says he's eating too much!! He gained 17 ounces in 11 days and 12 ounces in a week before that. My little man who was 7lbs. 3ounces at birth is now 9lbs 1oz!! She wants me to pump 5 minutes on either breast before each feeding and only allow him to nurse for a max of twenty minutes. Then pump to empty my breasts. If he is still hungry after that I'm suppose to wait an hour and a half before I feed him. She said his intestines are just too full because I have such an over supply and that the gas is likely due to him swallowing a lot of air in while he eats. *sigh* guess I'm gonna have one unhappy baby till he gets use to a 'schedule'. I thought it was nurse on demand at this age, but she's pretty set for this and I'm willing to try anything to get my poor baby to feel better!

**He has plenty of wet diapers- usually 8-12 a day, just no dirty ones; and doc says he wants to sleep and refuses feedings because he is SO full. Thanks for your support ladies, I don't feel so much like a mad woman now. :) 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    They shouldn't be on s schedule this early, she's giving you bad advice. Babies can gain reeeeally fast this early - my younger son was gaining two ounces a day when he was a few weeks. Check kellymom.com for tips about over supply.

My younger son has always struggled to go poop (TMI!), including when he was a newborn. They slow down their pooping around 5-6 weeks, but he could be slowing down earlier. I would try not to worry about no poop for 12 hours.

And he's probably sleeping so much because he's gaining fine! Feed him if he wants to nurse, don't wait x hours. Maybe think about finding an LC or your local LLL group, and see what they think. It sounds like you're doing good, though, wit that weight gain and number of pee diapers...

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options

imageTauntyCupcake:
    Well, just got back from the pedi's office. ( I called and chewed out several people. ) Doc says he's eating too much!! He gained 17 ounces in 11 days and 12 ounces in a week before that. My little man who was 7lbs. 3ounces at birth is now 9lbs 1oz!! She wants me to pump 5 minutes on either breast before each feeding and only allow him to nurse for a max of twenty minutes. Then pump to empty my breasts. If he is still hungry after that I'm suppose to wait an hour and a half before I feed him. She said his intestines are just too full because I have such an over supply and that the gas is likely due to him swallowing a lot of air in while he eats. *sigh* guess I'm gonna have one unhappy baby till he gets use to a 'schedule'. I thought it was nurse on demand at this age, but she's pretty set for this and I'm willing to try anything to get my poor baby to feel better!

**He has plenty of wet diapers- usually 8-12 a day, just no dirty ones; and doc says he wants to sleep and refuses feedings because he is SO full. Thanks for your support ladies, I don't feel so much like a mad woman now. :) 

THAT IS THE WORST ADVICE EVER. PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO YOUR PEDI!!!!!

A breastfed baby can generally NOT be overfed. THEY DO NOT TAKE IN AIR WHILE THEY NURSE. Why do you think all bottles say "more like the breast"???

DO NOT start pumping and DO NOT limit feedings. Breastmilk contains natural laxatives and is fully absorbed by the body- that's why many of us are not concerned about him not pooping. And think about it- if he were eating too much his body would be not absorbing all and he'd have waste (poop). It's illogical that eating too much = not pooping.

A BABY DOES NOT NEED TO BE ON A SCHEDULE.

OMG I can't believe this "doctor". This is really, really terrible advice. Please go to kellymom.com and read, read, read about newborn nursing. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Options
    I agree with the above posters. Also, if you pump that much in addition to nursing, you are going to end up with major oversupply. The more you empty your breasts, the more milk your body makes. Let LO tell your body how much milk to make, don't add the pump on top of that. I would seek help from a lactation consultant or go to La Leche League meetings. Your pedi gave you terrible advice.
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Options

imageshotzie:
    I agree with the above posters. Also, if you pump that much in addition to nursing, you are going to end up with major oversupply. The more you empty your breasts, the more milk your body makes. Let LO tell your body how much milk to make, don't add the pump on top of that. I would seek help from a lactation consultant or go to La Leche League meetings. Your pedi gave you terrible advice.

I was about to come back and post that your doctor is telling you to pump and nurse waaaay too much, before and after nursing will definitely make you produce a shitton more of milk. 

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"