Natural Birth

Awesome experience!

I just had the most awesome foot massage that just so happened to be from a doula full of great advice. The first bonus was even getting the foot massage because the front said no. So I went in thinking I was getting a shoulder rub. Second bonus was that we chatted the whole time about how to focus during l&d and she gave for me great advice to achieve my desired natural labor experience. DH and I were planning on starting to go to doula open houses for the two groups in our area after the new year and now I couldn't possibly be any more excited to find out who our real doula will be. The one thing I am really glad she said was that I should let them break my water once I am fully dilated, fully effaced and have been pushing for a minute. She said its not an intervention to be worried about at that point and it will really speed things along. Would you ladies agree? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Awesome experience!

• Once you're pushing? Sure. My MW broke my water in between pushes because the amniotic sac was bulging out. That's when we found out that there was meconium in the fluid (DD got checked out by a ped afterward and was totally fine, hadn't aspirated it). Anyway, yes, once you're pushing, getting rid of that cushion of fluid can help the baby move down.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hmm I don't know as I have only had one baby and have nothing to compare it to.  I will say that when I was fully dilated my MW asked me if I wanted her to break my bag of water and I asked her what the advantage is.  She told me, "So I won't get sprayed in the face."  She then went on to say that there really is no advantage and didn't mind holding up towels while I pushed.  I asked her to leave it intact and pushed that way.  My MIL said it looked really cool, like a balloon expanding getting bigger and bigger as DD moved down.  When I started pushing DD was at +2 station and I pushed for an hour.  I'm not sure if that would have been shortened by having my bag of water broken.    

Just as a side note during Medieval times babies who were born in their sacs were considered very special and thought to be destined for greatness.  Kind of cool :)  

• Loading the player...
  • I would not, but then again my DD was born in the caul completely in tact with her waters. I felt that it made her birth easier and she came out all at once, once she crowned.
    Mom to 3 wonderful Free Birthed kiddos
  • Hmmm so it seems this is another debatable topic. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"