Georgia Babies
Options

Daycare transition- concerned about naptime

We are about to move the kids to a new (and hopefully FINAL) daycare close to our house.  Long story short, we have been very pleased with both of their current centers and its breaking my heart to leave, but I just can't keep doing 2 drop offs and for different reasons, neither center can accomodate us long term.  So... its looking like the move will happen in early February.  Here's my concern... Sophie is still in the infant room at her current center- sleeping in a crib for naps.  When she moves to the new center, she will be going straight into the toddler room- where they sleep on cots.  I'm concerned this may be too much transition for her all at once and I don't want to mess up her sleep.  WDYT?  Am I overthinking this?  Any thoughts on the best way to handle it?  I'm so nervous about this whole thing. 

Re: Daycare transition- concerned about naptime

• Options
    I think it will work itself out.  Just take a deep breath and be OK with it.
  • Options
    That is what happened to graham plus They moved him to one nap. It was a lot of transition and took about a mOnth to adjust. It was rough but it worked out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I had a similar issue last spring when we had to pull Marlowe out of daycare for 2 months while I was deployed and she stayed with my mother/MIL (split time).  When she came back to daycare, she was in the next room up and they slept on nap mats.  Marlowe took about 2 days of watching the other kids do it and then just fell right in.  It's amazing how easily they adjust to change at school, but not so much at home!  

Good luck with the daycare change, I hope it's the long term solution for your family! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I wanted to add that transitioning to a toddler room for P was amazing.  She never, and I mean NEVER napped in the infant room and was an absolute hot mess at night.  They did not do a set schedule and she could not rest while other babies were up.  In fact as soon as she was walking at just under 11 months I demanded they move her to the other room.  When she went to the one nap a day, set nap schedule for all the kids she was the first asleep and the last awake.  It was the absolute best thing for her.  They could have slept on rocks and she would have taken a nap.
  • Options

Bryce starts next week at Bailey's school and he'll be in the room with cots for nap. After seeing how well Bailey did transitioning to a cot and drinking from an open cup, I'm not that worried. It's the whole monkey see monkey do at school. It seems everything is easier for them b/c they see the other kids doing it. I'm sure it'll take a few days but I bet she'll get it in no time.

Glad you found another place!

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageDaisy22:

Bryce starts next week at Bailey's school and he'll be in the room with cots for nap. After seeing how well Bailey did transitioning to a cot and drinking from an open cup, I'm not that worried. It's the whole monkey see monkey do at school. It seems everything is easier for them b/c they see the other kids doing it. I'm sure it'll take a few days but I bet she'll get it in no time.

I hope this is true.  Gavin never had an issue with the transition from crib to cot so I'm hoping the same is true for Sophie.  I'm just concerned about it being a new school AND a new sleeping arrangement.  I talked the director and she's going to let us do a test day before they actually start to see how it goes and if they need to let her nap in a crib for a while they will do that.  You never know what kids will struggle with... it seems like its always what you are least expecting!

• Options
    imageslwprincess:
    imageDaisy22:

I hope this is true.  Gavin never had an issue with the transition from crib to cot so I'm hoping the same is true for Sophie.  I'm just concerned about it being a new school AND a new sleeping arrangement.  I talked the director and she's going to let us do a test day before they actually start to see how it goes and if they need to let her nap in a crib for a while they will do that.  You never know what kids will struggle with... it seems like its always what you are least expecting!

So very true! Bryce had 2 half day test days in the middle of december but he wasn't there for nap time. He did eat lunch (2 plates worth one day) which is what I was worried about. I'm just hoping he doesn't cry the whole time next wednesday.

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We just transitioned from infant to toddler this week.  In fact, it wasn't much of a transition because the whole school is moving from a "move up whenever your child turns 1, 2, etc" to a "move up as a class" model so C got caught up in this and basically didn't get the normal transition week.  Still though, he did really well.  For us, he went from sleeping in the infant room in a crib (with no blankets or lovey allowed) with the lights on and other kids playing and crying to now sleeping in the toddler room on a cot under a blanket with his lovey, lights out and soft music on, back patted by the teacher until he drifts off.  It's great actually and he sleeps the WHOLE naptime.  Good luck but you won't need it.   I bet Sophie will love it and you will too!  Also, keep in mind that the new room will probably have so much more to do so she will be more ready for a nap.  C was getting so bored in his infant room that he'd just walk around it in circles and want to be held constantly.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am really surprised at the number of daycares that don't do a standard naptime in the infant room!  Our current daycare always has quiet time after lunch where they turn off the lights and play soft music.  There is no way Sophie would sleep if the lights were on.  Of course they let the young babies nap whenever they want and if they are up during naptime- thats fine.  But they start really putting them down for naps by 6 mos or so.  Sophie naps really well in there right now.  I would have to complain about that one... little ones need their naps! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"