Multiples
Options

Amnio?

I am strongly considering having an amnio done for the twin with the 2.6 mm nuchal measurement for my peace of mind, but the .5% risk scares me. Can anyone share their experience with having an amnio?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Amnio?

• Options
    I lurk here because I am a twin, not because I have twins. I'm not sure how different an amnio is for a singleton vs twin pregnancy! I had amnio this time and it was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. The needle didn't hurt going into my skin and just felt like a huge cramp going into my uterus. The miscarriage risk we were given was 1/400 and we felt okay with that since our risk for Down syndrome was pushed up to higher than 8/10 after the anatomy scan. Our baby does have Down syndrome but we obviously didn't miscarry, so I would definitely consider the procedure successful! Good luck!
  • Options
    I had an amnio because of a thick nuchal fold on twin B, much thicker than yours, I had the procedure at 15.5 weeks I believe.  If you have a Peri or MFM do it who has done very very many amnios on multiples, the risk is almost nothing.  Having someone very experienced with amnios and multiples is key.  Also opt for the FISH results, the preliminary results can be given in a day or two with a full report a few weeks later.  Waiting for the amnio itself is tough enough you want some results right away.  The procedure itself is not bad and it is guided by u/s, and the needle is only used to puncture it is a thin tube that is actually near the babies which collects the fluid.  It takes very little time and I ended up with only two bandaids.  Feel free to ask more questions or PM me too.  Good luck I know these are tough decisions but I just needed to know if one of our twins would have special needs so I could prepare when he arrived.  Take care.   
    H: 34 dx Azoospermia due to CBAVD from CF  
    ME: 39 IS FINE!!!  DOR and poor AMH/FSH/LH
    IVF/ICSI/PESA #1 Beta 1 373 Beta 2 1783 BOY/GIRL TWINS!! Born April 2010!!
    Natural FET 5/26/12 2 blasts Beta 1 207 Beta 2 513 Beta 3 1377 U/S 6/28 Pregnancy not viable d & c scheduled :( 
    IVF/ICSI/PESA #2 ER 11/15/12 Nothing to transfer :( 
    IVF/ICSI #3 April 2013 MDLF 3dt of 3 embryos, chemical :(  
    IVF #4/ICSI/MESA/CCS/FET EPP April 2015
    ODWU CCRM with Dr. Sch COMPLETE!!!! Put on acai supplement they are studying for DOR and embryo quality.
    DAY 3 Labs Drawn 2/26 put on vitamin D and calcium supplements
    Regroup and Protocol Reveal 3/04 "Bazooka Protocol" EPP with MDLF "Protocol 6 with patches"
    ER/MESA 4/10 ER 9 eggs retrieved MESA success found live swimmers :)
    Fertilization Report 6 eggs mature and ICSI'd 4 eggs fertilized normally
    Day 6 Report to Blast for CCS 4/16: 2 DAY 5 BLASTS BIOPSIED FOR CCS a 4AB and a 3AB!!!!
    CCS Results BOTH BLASTS CCS NORMAL!!!!!!  call on 4/24
    Regroup call to discuss CCS results and FET call on 5/20
    FET prep: CD 1 6/08 CD 3 Start BCP 6/10, HSG 6/12 Lupron Start 10 iu 6/17 End BCP 6/21 CD 1 6/23!!!
    Start vivelle patches 6/25 change e/o/d reduce Lupron to 5iu 6/25 Blood Draw 7/01, 7/08, 7/15, 7/19
    Increase vivelle patches 7/03 2 change e/o/d and 7/05 change e/o/d 3 and 7/07 4 change e/o/d add vaginal estrace 2x a day
    Lining Check/Blood Draw 7/08 and 7/15 End Lupron 7/18  Start PIO 1ml daily 7/18  Blood  Draw 7/19
    Flight to clinic 7/22
    FET 2 CCS BLASTS :):)  7/23 :):) YES YES both thawed and both fully expanded :):)
    7/26 :):) 3dp5dt PM very very faint positive FRER
    7/27: 4dp5dt Neg Digi AM but very very faint positive FRER PM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 1-2 :):) 
    7/31:8dp5dt AM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 2-3!!!! :):) 
    Beta 1 8/01= 408!!!!!!!!!! at 9dp5dt FET
    Beta 2 8/03 = 1014!!!!!!!!!! at 11dp5dt FET
    8/05/2015 AM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 3+!!!! :):) 
    First Ultrasound: 8/20!!!!!! TWINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Genetics says BOTH BOYS!!!!!!!!!
    Second Ultrasound: 9/03!!!!!!!!!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageefhoping2010:
    I had an amnio because of a thick nuchal fold on twin B, much thicker than yours, I had the procedure at 15.5 weeks I believe.  If you have a Peri or MFM do it who has done very very many amnios on multiples, the risk is almost nothing.  Having someone very experienced with amnios and multiples is key.  Also opt for the FISH results, the preliminary results can be given in a day or two with a full report a few weeks later.  Waiting for the amnio itself is tough enough you want some results right away.  The procedure itself is not bad and it is guided by u/s, and the needle is only used to puncture it is a thin tube that is actually near the babies which collects the fluid.  It takes very little time and I ended up with only two bandaids.  Feel free to ask more questions or PM me too.  Good luck I know these are tough decisions but I just needed to know if one of our twins would have special needs so I could prepare when he arrived.  Take care.   

Thanks!  I did send you a PM. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"