Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Making the house smell good, naturally?

I'm not one of those people that's bothered by scents, but I've forced myself to eliminate them for the sake of our health.  Most of the time I'm fine, but in the winter when everything's closed up my house perpetually smells like whatever I've been cooking and it drives me nuts.  

I let a pot simmer with orange rinds and cinnamon and it smells awesome! Do you know of any other items I can simmer to scent the whole house?  Would EO's work?

I've also tried adding EO to my dryer balls or a kerchief to scent the laundry but even after using upwards of 20 drops of Lavender I can't smell it after the dryer's been open for a minute.  Any options for this?

Re: Making the house smell good, naturally?

• Options

I know there are people who put EOs in cheap vodka and use that for a fabric/air spray. I bet if you google you'd find good hits on how to do that. 

Simmering cloves smells good too.  

• Options

Leaving a small bowl out with vinegar in it can also help to neutralize kitchen odors. 

Ditto simmering cinnamon and cloves. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I've given up on changing the scent of my home. I allow the Scentsy scent bars (still not a great option) for holiday time since my husband gets all merry and bright about artificial holiday scents. I've tried making my own air fresheners, fabric fresheners, etc., and have come to the conclusion that I'm a bit of an idiot for trying to change the scent of the air! lol

I think it boils down to accepting that we live in an artificially fragranced world and it is what we're accustomed to. Once you realize that those fragrances are unhealthy, there is no going back/middle ground.

I will use incense, on occasion, but my house always ends up smelling like the set of Cheech & Chong movie ;) 

• Options

Even when it's super cold outside, I open windows for a few minutes at least once a week, and our door is constantly open for three dogs running in and out.  More than the smell of our house, I'm concerned about indoor air quality.

Do you have any houseplants?  I've never succeeded at keeping one alive, but I'm about to try again.

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Options
    I just use soy candles and essential oils in my DIY home cleansers. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks for all of the responses!  I'll definitely be trying out the vodka spray and gel stuff.  

I do try to open the windows when I can but DH and I have terrible allergies, so I end up paying for it when I do.  I have a few houseplants (all in various stages of death) but that's a good idea.  Maybe one of my resolutions should be to keep a few green things alive all year.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"