Infertility Veterans
Options

Dog owners re: epileptic seizures

My little black pug, Maximus - he will be 2 in Feb., has been having a seizure about 1x a month for the past few months.

I took him to the vet, he's in good physical health, Vet did a lot of blood work on him too, which resulted in everything coming back normal except he has a little too much bio-acid in his liver and the vet wants to put him on Zonisamide.

Anyone have their dog on this med?  Can you tell me about it, has it helped, etc...?

TTC #1 Since 11/08 - Dx: MFI & PCOS
7 IUIs = All BFNs
2011: March IVF #1.2 = e/p @ 6w: May IVF #2 = BFN: July sFET #1 = BFN

2012: Jan We're Certified FC/A Parents
May IVF #3 = c/p
June-Nov Foster Mommy to M (Toddler)
July FET #2 = BFN
Aug FET #3 = BFN
Sept-Nov Foster Mommy to Baby Bella (Newborn)
Nov HSG/Sono = Clear!
Dec FET #4 = BFN

2013: Feb FET #5 = m/c @ 6.5w
May-July Foster Mom to H (8 yr old girl)
June/July/Aug IVF #4 = Freeze All
July = Unofficially Adopting T (10 yr old boy)
Sept FET #6 = TBD
**PAIF/SAIF Welcome**

Re: Dog owners re: epileptic seizures

• Options
    I have no experience with that med but just wanted to say I hope it helps your little Maximus.
    TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Hugs to Maximus and you too.
    +++
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hi,

So sorry to hear about your doggie... one of my friends is going through the same thing with her dog (pitbull).  A few weeks ago the seizures appeared to be getting worse, they did a lot of blood work and it all came back normal.  They put him on a medicine for epilepsy, so I'm assuming it's the same one menioned above.  She said she has to give him the medicine every day for the rest of his life... it's only been 2 weeks but so far so good... I will let you know if I get any more updates from her!  All I know is that would be so scary to see dog having a seizure... so sad!

• Options

imagejessican08:
    I have no experience with that med but just wanted to say I hope it helps your little Maximus.

Thank you!  I hope it does too!

7 IUIs = All BFNs

May IVF #3 = c/p
    July FET #2 = BFN
    Aug FET #3 = BFN
    Nov HSG/Sono = Clear!
    Dec FET #4 = BFN

Sept FET #6 = TBD
    **PAIF/SAIF Welcome**
  • Options

imageEdwina.McDunnough:
    Hugs to Maximus and you too.

Thanks sweets!

7 IUIs = All BFNs

May IVF #3 = c/p
    July FET #2 = BFN
    Aug FET #3 = BFN
    Nov HSG/Sono = Clear!
    Dec FET #4 = BFN

Sept FET #6 = TBD
    **PAIF/SAIF Welcome**
  • Options
    Poor Maximus.  Seizures must be so scary for both of you.  I hope this medicine works and he gets better.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagebear:

Hi,

So sorry to hear about your doggie... one of my friends is going through the same thing with her dog (pitbull).  A few weeks ago the seizures appeared to be getting worse, they did a lot of blood work and it all came back normal.  They put him on a medicine for epilepsy, so I'm assuming it's the same one menioned above.  She said she has to give him the medicine every day for the rest of his life... it's only been 2 weeks but so far so good... I will let you know if I get any more updates from her!  All I know is that would be so scary to see dog having a seizure... so sad!

That would be great, thank you!  Your friends dog, might be on Phenobarbital....as it's more popular, would you mind checking?

It's so heartbreaking watching him, while I hold him have his seizure...he even sheds a tear or two and that makes me cry. :(

7 IUIs = All BFNs

May IVF #3 = c/p
    July FET #2 = BFN
    Aug FET #3 = BFN
    Nov HSG/Sono = Clear!
    Dec FET #4 = BFN

Sept FET #6 = TBD
    **PAIF/SAIF Welcome**
  • Options

I'm sorry, hon.  ((HUGS)) to you and Maximus.  My last dog, an American Eskimo, had seizures.  She was a rescue and had a bunch of other health issues from previous abuse.  They never figured out what was causing her seizures.  She started out having them about once or twice a month.  They got better for a while (she would go months without them) and then they got worse again and better again.  I really hope the medicine helps Maximus.  I know how scary it is to see your beloved pet have a seisure.  It makes you feel sad, scared and absolutely helpless. 

We had Raska for 8 years (she was somewhere between 2 and 4) when we got her.  She died of breast cancer which was totally unrelated to her other health issues.  The seizures didn't actually harm her.  She was always a little weak/tired after them, though.

imageimage

~SAIF/PAIF/Everyone Welcome~ 

Me= 37 and DH = 41 

Dx: DOR, Endo, APA+ (really high beta 2 glycoprotein antibody and high everything else tested), heterozygous MTHFR mutation, positive for lupus anticoagulant, high FSH, low AMH and both tubes blocked (per HSG on 3/8/11)

IVF #1 - long lupron (with HGH, intralipids, lovenox and BA); 4 retrieved, 3 fertilized; ET 2 blasts and 1 frozen = BFN

IVF #2 - a version of antagonist with EPP (with HGH, intralipids, lovenox and BA); 6 retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized, 2 blasts and 1 frozen blast transferred on day 5 = BFN.

IVF #3 April was postponed to May, May was canceled. June/July was canceled. Had a cyst aspiration and then began IVF #3 in August. ER on 8/22; ET on 8/24 with AH. +HPT on 9/5. Beta #1 (11dpo) = 3; Beta #2 (15dpo) = 29; Beta #3 (17dpo) = 60; Beta #4 (19 dpo) = 118. Heartbeat at 6 weeks 6 days =132.  Lil is here!

TTC#2:  Trigger + TI = BFN; Clomid + Trigger + IUI = BFN.

IVF #4:  BCP + MDLF + Lovenox = 7R, 1F = Transferred 1 6-cell embryo on day 3 = BFN

IVF #5:  MDLF + Lovenox = 4R, 1F = Transferred 1 10-cell compacting embryo on day 3 = BFN

IVF #6:  (New RE):  Long Antagonist November 2014 (transferred two 8 cell grade 1 embryos and froze one blast) = BFN

FET#1:  BFN

• Options
    imageBella2u07:
    imagebear:

Hi,

That would be great, thank you!  Your friends dog, might be on Phenobarbital....as it's more popular, would you mind checking?

It's so heartbreaking watching him, while I hold him have his seizure...he even sheds a tear or two and that makes me cry. :(

This just made me tear up. Our furbabies are so important to us and it is so hard when they are sick. I hope the medicine is able to help your little guy!

2/11 Diagnosis: DOR-AMH .62, LPD and MFI-4% Morph
    IVF #1-July 2011 7/9/11-Started Stims
    7/20/11-ER:No eggs in 4/5 follicles. Left the 5th follie intact and converted to an IUI
    8/3/11-Beta #1=BFN,
    Nov, 2011 BFP #1=m/c at 7 wks 3 days
    11/11-AMH .47, IVF #2 March 2012...or not!! Surprise BFP on 2/19. Beta #1=161. Beta #2 305 Our little miracle girl is on her way! Due Oct 29, 2012
    <a href="http://s1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb461/andersenspics/?action=view
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"