Military Families

LES and deployment

I need help. I can't for the life of me figure out what DH is supposed to be bringing home since he deployed. He's been gone for a few months and it appears that his pay has been very inconsistent since then. The amounts haven't really matched up. I know we're supposed to get hazardous and family separation pay, but are these given once a month, each pay period, or what? I'm getting frustrated trying to get ths clear with him because communication is sometimes sketchy. I'm sure each person's situation is a little different, but can anyone offer any advice on this?

Re: LES and deployment

• My husband always opts for the end of deployment pay out so I"m not sure when it would post normally.  However if he just left he was getting TDY from training and now he is deployed and pay is a week behind.  I know that's not helpful but if you go to finance on your base they can sit down with you and explain it all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The LES statement clearly lists all the pays.  Take the past three month's and compare them to find out what has been inconsistent about the pay.  That's how I find any variances.  Also check if he withdrew money from his check and possibly forgot to mention it to you.  Incentive pay is a set amount once a month divided between each pay period.  Incentive pay depends on your H's location as well as if he gets any special extras like for speaking the native language for where he is located.  I would say start with the LES staements to find the problem and then you can at least have a starting point.

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • It depends what branch and where he is as far as what amounts. My hubby is in the Marine Corp and is in Afghanistan - and we get exactly $680 more in pay. But, the money is also tax free. Also, it took 5 "pay periods" for it to catch up, so by the 6th pay period AFTER he left, it finally became consistent. It is all calculated together and then split between the checks, as BAH or SEP pay would normally be (unless you have allotments or another type of arrangement).

• imageExcited Mrs P:

It depends what branch and where he is as far as what amounts. My hubby is in the Marine Corp and is in Afghanistan - and we get exactly $680 more in pay. But, the money is also tax free. Also, it took 5 "pay periods" for it to catch up, so by the 6th pay period AFTER he left, it finally became consistent. It is all calculated together and then split between the checks, as BAH or SEP pay would normally be (unless you have allotments or another type of arrangement).

Thanks for all your input everyone. Should all of the pay be tax free or just the things like separation pay?

• If he's in a combat zone - then ALL of his pay is tax free. It should say it on the LES as "tax exempt" But of course things like Social Security/Medicare/SGLI (Life Insurance) still come out.
  • imageExcited Mrs P:
    If he's in a combat zone - then ALL of his pay is tax free. It should say it on the LES as "tax exempt" But of course things like Social Security/Medicare/SGLI (Life Insurance) still come out.

Got it! Yes

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"