February 2012 Moms

Update on Sophia, my Christmas miracle

After a few stressful days because she's a lazy eater, now Sophia is waking up and crying to eat! I can't believe how beautiful and perfect she is, I spent most of her sleeping time contemplating her instead of sleeping myself. So the feeding has been stressful, specialy because the pediatrician that first examined her just told me to feed her every time she wanted. But she is a preemie and he never told me she might not want to eat, so I would have to ke her up. The first day she was home (Monday afternoon) she ate a bit (I breast feed her exclusively), but the next day she just slept and slept. I was waiting for her to cry but hours passed and nothing. I called my mom and she told me to wake her up. I did and I fed her, but she didn't want too much. I called the doctor, and his secretary told me that he woukd call me back because he was in surgery. I called again because an hour had passed, so I talked to him. He told me to extract the milk for peace of mind (something I didn't want to do), and he told me something like "when she was discharged she was eating an ounce" An ounce? A day, an hour, every three hours? I was really nervous so I didn't really say anything, but I felt he just didn't hear my concerns. From my own initiative I started writing down at what time and for how long she breastfed. Even though she's fine, she's still small and a little lazy, but I reallly really wanted her to breast feed. The next day I called the pediatrician and I read to him what Sophia had eaten. He told me "that's not enough, you should bring her in TOMORROW" . He didn't say anything else! For me, it was an impostantvcase: you don't want a preemie to lose weight, right? It goes without saying that I never called him again, and that I've gotten a new doctor that has been my family's pediatrician for years (I didn't want to call him at first because he never wants to charge friends and that makes me uncomfortable, but I've decided to be comfortable fornthe sake of my baby). the new pediatrician told me to check Sophia's sugar level, because she might have been too tired to eat, but everything was normal. And this morning she started crying for me to feed her, and she's been eating a lot since then I hope she keeps up with her eating, she's growing stronger every day. I promise photos in the future (right now I'm really busy, you can imagine), and sorry if this was long, but I just want to tell you to always trust your gut. Thanks everybody for your good wishes. i'll write soon!

Re: Update on Sophia, my Christmas miracle

• Glad she is eatting more and she is doing so good! Way to follow your gut!

Keep growing stronger little Sophia!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm so glad little Sophia is doing better! And I don't blame you for switching drs either, it's better to go w/your gut instinct every timeSmile.

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Awesome, sounds so amazing to have her here with you. Glad she's eating more and that you switched docs.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sophia sounds precious! Congrats and keep following your mother's intuition! You are doing great:)
  • First congrats on your little Christmas baby. She sounds delightful. Keep pushing those doctors mama. You will always know best for her. Glad she's taking to feedings more now! We are so excited for pictures!
  • That is so good that you switched!  We had a fairly similar situation with DS and after I changed pediatricians I was so happy.  You are right, always trust your gut!  Congratulations on your little girl!!
  • Congrats on your little girl! Glad she's doing better!
    January2014 Blog ** Admin to the January 2014 FB group!
  • Congratulations on your baby girl.  Glad things are looking up.  I too had a tiny, lazy eater with my 1st and I can not say enough good things about visiting a lactation consultant.  They would weigh her before and after feedings to see how much she was taking in, suggested breast compressions to keep her drinking and awake, and had me using this weird syringe thing to supplement at the breast (with pumped milk) to ensure she was getting enough while my supply was still wonky.  Glad you are being proactive with the dr. situation too, hope all continues to go well.  
    Isobel
    5 February 2008
  • I'm so glad your little Sophia is doing so well!!
    Baby #2 - BFP 6/13/2014 - EDD 2/17/2015 BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was away from the bump for the holidays so didn't hear!  Congratulations on your little girl!  Glad things are going more smoothly!!

Married August 5, 2006

Baby girl born February 15, 2012

Expecting baby #2 in July!

BabyFetus Ticker

• That's great news - so happy to hear she's doing better and that you've switched doctors.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"