Natural Birth

Ok, I am a little freaked.

Baby is breech- it was confirmed by a u/s this morning.  She also has super chubby cheeks just like her big sister did (so cute!), but I digress.

I am usually the first one to reassure someone that their baby will most likely turn and that it is still early in the game to be worrying too much.   I am also feeling very confident with the aggressive plan my MW and I designed of frequent chiropractic visits and acupuncture (as well as yoga maneuvers and positioning activities I can do on my own).    Finally, I am excited that my MWs mentor is a MW who specializes in gentle versions (nothing like the ones done by OBs) and that is an option if this little bugger decides to hold on.

However, here I sit wide awake worrying that none of it will work.  After the challenging homebirth that I had with my first (born at 43 weeks, posterior, horrible 40 hour back labor and 3rd degree tear), I was sort of hoping for a easier second birth...or at the minimum the same type of birth (hey, I survived it once right?)   I don't have any health concerns right now, so at this point this baby not turning really seems to be the only thing standing in my way.  

I haven't even asked my MW if she does breech births at home.  My last one did, but in the end I am not sure I could even go through with it...even if it was the "good" breech position.  It might just be my limit on the whole trusting my body thing.  

Anyway, I need some of that reassurance that she will turn.  Send some good vibes my way ladies?   TIA! 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

Re: Ok, I am a little freaked.

• If it helps, my OB said in her experience they can flip around until about 36-37w, and at that point (without help), they generally stay put. So, yes, you have plenty of time. But I get freaking out- hell, my doc said he was head down at the last appt, and I swear sometimes it feels like he's transverse.

It sounds like you have a great plan in place, and I'm sure everything will be fine, and you'll have your homebirth.

Worst case- would you be willing to have a hospital birth with a doc who does breech deliveries? We have ONE doc like that in our area, and you bet your ass I'd switch at 40w if need be.

• imagestar173:

Worst case- would you be willing to have a hospital birth with a doc who does breech deliveries? We have ONE doc like that in our area, and you bet your ass I'd switch at 40w if need be.

I really don't know.  I haven't done a lot of research about breech births, so I guess I will have to get on that if she doesn't flip in the next few weeks.  ::sigh:: 

• Loading the player...
  • I don't blame you for being nervous because that is my big fear too, but it sounds like your midwife has a good plan and I bet it will work. When I was pregnant with my daughter, I was not planning a natural birth but I definitely did not want a c-section. She was transverse breech up until about 36 weeks and I was freaking out about it.

I tried every little trick I read online, even silly things like shining a flashlight and putting the iPod headphones down my pants! (I know, I know...but I was desperate). I did the yoga poses and I would even go to the indoor pool and do handstands underwater every night. I was determined! She ended up flipping by my 37 week appointment. It could have been a coincidence or I could have helped her, but it was a HUGE relief when I found out she was head down. 

Being 33 weeks and having such a proactive midwife with great ideas, I think you will be good to go! :)
  • Try not to worry! I found peace when I was pg with my second amd planning a VBAC in making sure I was doing everything i could to up my chances of making it happen, but reminding myself I couldn't control everything.

It's still pretty early! Would you feel better finding an OB who does breech in the hospital, just in case she doesn't turn? I'll send vertex thoights your way! :)

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• imagepinksweetpea2:

Send some good vibes my way ladies?  

you got it!!!

would you consider hypnosis? it has been shown to be very effective in turning babies (and keeping them anterior and vertex). your best option for a good provider is to find a HypnoBirthing practitioner who is also a hypnotherapist. it looks like there are many in your area, but i'm not seeing any that strike me as being trained hypnotists in addition to their birthing practices. you can also communicate with the National Guild of Hypnotists at www.ngh.net and they can give you a list of hypnotherapists in the boston area.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Both my DS and this pregnancy my babies have been breech until 35 weeks when they magically flip around and are in perfect position. This baby has plenty of time! I went to the chiro with this one, did inversion daily and hot and cold packs, but with my first did nothing and they both flipped :) Good Luck!!!!!
  • You are smart to try everything!  However, from a mom who had a first marathon birth (26 hours from water breaking to birth with pitocin for a short period, but no pain meds) and an easier second - breech birth.  I'd pick the breech over the marathon any day! 

Good luck and I am thinking good turning thoughts for your little chubby cheeked girl.

Here's my birth story from my breech birth - natural, midwives in free-standing birth center.

https://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/2942580.aspx

Are you united with the CCOKCs?

• I have heard and read that they can still flip between now and birth.  I hope that she does turn around for you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageDownToEarthGirl:

You are smart to try everything!  However, from a mom who had a first marathon birth (26 hours from water breaking to birth with pitocin for a short period, but no pain meds) and an easier second - breech birth.  I'd pick the breech over the marathon any day! 

Good luck and I am thinking good turning thoughts for your little chubby cheeked girl.

Here's my birth story from my breech birth - natural, midwives in free-standing birth center.

https://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/2942580.aspx

Thanks for this.  

My first birth was also a marathon- 43 week birth-  water broke at onset, 40 hours all active back labor due to LO being posterior.   I was hoping for a little bit easier of an experience this time around. ;b  We will see. :)

• Plenty of time! Sending good position vibes your way! My DD was transverse right up until she descended and came out, so it can happen any time. I think having good plans are good, but know that you baby will do it when they want to, babies are funny that way. Keep us posted, we will all be cheering for you!
    Mom to 3 wonderful Free Birthed kiddos
  • After being head down for weeks, my DS flipped breech right around 33weeks.  He flipped back within a couple of weeks.  You will be fine!   I totally understand being freaked out and hoping for an easier birth this time around.  After having a traumatic marathon birth the first time around, I hope for the same thing.  Just know that you're doing everything you can to get there!  Good vibes coming your way.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"