February 2012 Moms

Late GD onset?

Good morning!

So yesterday I went to the doctor for an ultrasound to determine the position of the baby, as well as the measurements... turns out that baby is measuring HUGE (90th percentile at 6 and a half lbs). The doctor wants to re-test me for gestational diabetes... I was tested a few weeks ago and passed the 1 hour, but now I'm all nervous again! Anyone else have experience with this?? I'm hoping it's because neither my husband nor I are small (6'5 and 5'9 respectively, 9lbs1oz and 9lbs8oz at birth ourselves -- all our siblings over 9lbs at birth).Thanks!!

Re: Late GD onset?

• I hadn't heard of this, but this is my biggest fear!! I had GD with DD1 but passed both my early 1hr test and my "normal" 28 week 1hr test. But I just don't believe that if I had GD with DD1 that I won't get it again. I'm freaking out that at my final ultrasound at 36 weeks they will have to retest me and it will be too late to help the baby. I hope in your situation it is just you make big babies and it is not GD. Sorry I'm not much help - just wanted to say I share your worries!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had big kids ~10lb 11oz 23in & 9lb 13oz 21in~ and never even came close in the GD testing ( not close this time either) . Some of us are just genetically predisposed to have bigger kids. Don't let the Dr. make you nervous!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Not to discourage you, but GD does progress as your pregnancy progresses. My dietician has a chart that shows how your insulin resistance is "normal" at first, then starts to climb, peaks around 38-39 weeks and drops. So, depending on when you first tested, it IS possible they missed it and it came on later.

However, given your build and birth weights, it's certainly possible that it's just a big baby.  

Son #1: 12.27.08 (6 years)
    Son #2: 02.06.12 (2.5 yrs)
    Baby #3 due: 02.10.15 (It's a girl!)
    GD with all three pregnancies

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have GD.  And I was told that even the 3 hour test doesn't catch all the GD Mama's like it should.  It could be a case that you are genetically disposed to have big babies. 

They also told me after 35 weeks my glucose levels will change and could actually be higher because our chemistry once again starts to change as it prepares for our babies birth.

My GD nurse said she passed the 1 and 3 hr test.  But because she could she would test her glucose and after 35 weeks it was off the charts. She told her doctor and had to be put on insulin.  It's not as terrible as it seems, it's a hassle diet wise.  But the risk to your baby is so great, it's not worth the risk. 

I really hope you pass and don't have GD! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I JUST went thru the same thing. My "little" girl is in the 90th percentile as well and at the last u/s they said that she was measuring two weeks ahead and where she should have been around 4lbs, she was nearly 5lbs. I had to do the 3 hour glucose test AGAIN and it came back normal again. They said that she is just going to be a big baby. I am 5'9 and the dad is 6'3 and we were both pretty big babies...so genetically we are just prone to having a large baby. They aren't worried about it though.
    Good luck with your test! I will keep you in my thoughts! :)

Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"