February 2012 Moms
Options

Vaccines during pregnancy

Hi all :)

My doctor is insisting that I get the whopping cough vaccine during my pregnancy to help protect myself and the baby (due 2/17/12). I'm worried about potential side effects. Did you get a flu shot or whopping cough vaccine? 

Thanks!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Vaccines during pregnancy

• Options
    I haven't been offered the whooping cough vaccine. I was offered the flu shot but I didn't get it. I've never gotten the flu shot.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I got the flu shot- I tend to get sick a lot and the baby will be born during cold/flu season and can't get the shot themselves until they are 6 months old- when we get the shot, they get antibodies from us for it.

I haven't been offered the whooping cough vaccine yet. I thought we are supposed to get it right after we give birth? That is when I plan to get mine.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doctor says the Tdap shot is given to me at the hospital after I give birth (covers whooping cough and other diseases). She says they don't recommend giving it during pregnancy but they administer it right after birth.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    imageShawnee11507:

I got the flu shot- I tend to get sick a lot and the baby will be born during cold/flu season and can't get the shot themselves until they are 6 months old- when we get the shot, they get antibodies from us for it.

I haven't been offered the whooping cough vaccine yet. I thought we are supposed to get it right after we give birth? That is when I plan to get mine.

This exactly.  Got my flu shot sometime in the fall (maybe Nov?).  Just made H get it today.  DD will be getting it soon too.   I think whooping cough is after birth, like said above.

• Options
    I did get my flu shot while pregnant.  As far as pertussis, there is supposedly some new information/studies out that show if you get it during the third trimester you can actually pass immunity to the baby to protect them before they are old enough to get it themselves.  I haven't looked into the studies yet so I'm still undecided if I will get it now or wait until later, but this may explain why your doc insists on giving it now. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Like PP said, I got my flu shot (and so thankful I did--DH got the flu and was sick for over two weeks while I felt perfectly fine).  I will also have the other vaccine after giving birth.
  • Options
    I haven't had either but you should feel free to say no if you don't want to do it.  Doctors can be pushy but after you make your decision you do have the right to say yes or no.
  • Options

Both my H and I got the flu shot for the first time ever (due to preg./baby).  Neither of us had side effects.

I believe I got the whopping cough when I got my tetnus booster-- they were together I think . . . or something else was with my tetnus shot that was not something I would expect to go with it.  That was a couple of months before becoming pregnant (we knew we were going to start trying end of spring/summer).  Again no side effects.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

imagesmurfette83:
    I did get my flu shot while pregnant.  As far as pertussis, there is supposedly some new information/studies out that show if you get it during the third trimester you can actually pass immunity to the baby to protect them before they are old enough to get it themselves.  I haven't looked into the studies yet so I'm still undecided if I will get it now or wait until later, but this may explain why your doc insists on giving it now. 

This and it actually takes 2 weeks for the Tdap vaccine to start working so my doctor said if I wanted to get it, which she recommended but obviously it is my decision, I should get at least a couple of weeks before I give birth. She also recommended my family get it a couple of weeks before my EDD as well. We decided to do it because we've had a few very severe cases of whooping cough in our area, but to each their own.

• Options

My OB said I'll get it in the hospital. She recommends anyone who will be in contact with LO get one, so I'm asking DH and my parents to get it also. FWIW, wheny mom told her dr I was expecting, her dr also recommended my parents get it. 

Of I remember correctly, whooping cough is something our LO's can't be vaccinated for right away, which I assume is why Drs recommend that parents and caregivers do get the shot.  

• Options
    I got both.

• Options
    I got both this week (33 weeks).  Doctor wanted me to get them both before the last month of pregnancy, so that we have time to build antibodies.  She also said that anyone that would be spending time with the  baby should get a TDaP.  Hubby got both flu and TDaP, just to be on the safe side.  Whooping cough (pertussis) is becoming a major problem here in CA, so that may have something to do with your doctor's reccomendations.
    Both are class C drugs, there's not enough info to classify them as harmful or not.  But I trust my doctor.  She's a smart lady, and it's her job to know and do what's best for us. 
    Oh, and all the other grandparents are up-to-date... just have to make my daddy go and get his.  Can't wait until baby gets a little older and PapaBob starts telling her the story of how he sacrificed so much for her... having to go to the mean doctor and get stuck in the arm with a harpoon, just so she didn't get sick, LOL
  • Options
    Hi everyone! I appreciate all the helpful comments. I'm going to talk to my doctor about the vaccines some more at my next visit. Thank you!

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"