April 2011 Moms

"HUGE" baby???

Ashlen is just over 9 months (by a week), and at her 9 month check up the pedi saw her and exclaimed "you are HUGE!!!"  Of course, he followed it up by telling me she was perfect and nothing was wrong with her, but it got me wondering where she stacks up, especially since our pedi isn't one to disclose percentages. (He thinks it is just a way for parents to drive themselves crazy with comparisons).

She is 22 pounds and 2 oz., and is 28 inches long.  When people see her, they usually assume she is about a year old, but she is our first child and I am clueless as to baby sizing.  Is she larger than normal?

* Note--neither my husband and I are very tall or heavy, so I am not worried, but I just want to see where she compares with others. 

Stephanie Hsu

Re: "HUGE" baby???

• She's up there in the percentiles, but she's not off the charts.

If I had to guess, I'd say 90-95th for weight and 75th for height.

Nora has been between the 75th and 95th %ile for both weight and height since birth. Actually at 6.5 months, she was between 28 and 29" and in the 98th %ile for height at that time. I'm guessing at her 9 month appointment next week we'll find out that she is about 21lbs and 29-30".

ETA: I was almost exactly right!

https://www.babycenter.com/baby-child-growth-percentile-calculator

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Niccolo is 2 days from being 9 months and we saw pedi on Dec 22: he was 29.5" (90th) and weighed 22 lbs 15 oz (90th)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not sure exactly how big my baby is at the moment but she is big.  She wears 18 month clothes & has been 90th percentile for both height & weight since she was 2 months old.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • She's not huge. DD was 21.7lbs 29.5 inches when she was 7 months and she is definetly bigger now, i don't find her chubby at all. She has definetly thinned out since 4-6 months. Although DH is 6'1 and im 5'7.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Andrew goes for his 9 month appt next Wednesday so I will find out for sure how big he is, but I'm guessing 19.5 - 20 lbs and close to 30 inches based on where he was the last time he was checked.  At 6 months he was 85th percentile for length and 35th for weight.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Julianna will be 9 months tomorrow and we weighed her at home and she was 22 lbs as well. Not sure on the height.  She is definitely bigger than our first was at 9 months.  Isabella was 18lbs at 1 year old so we think Julianna is pretty big by comparison.  Though Isabella was only 5lbs 15oz at birth and Julianna was 7lbs 7oz at birth.  Every baby is different.  Julianna is wearing 18-24 months and sometmes her big sister's clothes.  My MIL is always mixing up their outfits.  When i pick them up at work i always try to guess what they will be wearing.  I think its cute.  They can share clothes already!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"