C-sections
Options

Swelling after c-section

I had a RCS 6 days ago and the swelling in my feet seems to be getting worse, not better.  How long does the swelling usually last?  The nurse at the hospital told me two weeks but I would think at this point it should be getting better.

I have a PP OB appt. next week, but I am wondering if I should call before then and ask about the swelling. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Swelling after c-section

• Options
    Mine got way worse before it got better, which took about a week and a half to 2 weeks.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine got awful before they got better. I kept rotating putting ice and heat on them and having MH rub them. I would say it was two weeks
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks!  I was kind of freaking because they are getting worse but it makes me feel better that it also happened to both of you.  I will hang in there and ask about it at my 2 week PP appt.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Going on walks will help push the fluids through your system. It was the worst part of the csection for me.

Edit:  For fun, a picture of my feet two weeks after my csection. :)  You couldn't even put a divot in them they were so swollen.  I thought I would die.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    2 weeks is about right.  At 6 days PP it was near the peak ad slowly started getting better thanks to all those night sweats.
  • Options
    Im 9 days post CS. My feet are so swollen and stiff. It goes all the way up to my knees some days. I have a dr appt at 2pm today and I hope he can give me some ideas for relief. Its so painful to walk up or down stairs. 
    ** Highschool Sweethearts ** 
    Married: February 14, 2009

MC: June 6 2010 @ 18 weeks
    DS: December 19, 2011
    MC: October 2, 2015 @ 14 weeks

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I had virtually no swelling through my entire first pregnancy, so I was horrified by how much my feet, ankles and calves swelled AFTER delivery.  I first noticed the swelling three or four days after the c-section and it was pretty horrible by day 7.  I was told it'd take a week or two for the swelling to go down and it really did take two full weeks. 

I had a little less swelling after my second c-section, but I also remember the night sweats occurring starting the first night, and those first couple were pretty intense, so maybe that helped flush the fluids out quicker.

You can bring up the swelling at your two-week post-op, but if you're so uncomfortable, I'd call the office.  It never hurts to ask.

Son #1 - September '09
    Son #2 - October '11
    Son #3 - Hoping to adopt from China some time in 2014!

Our adoption journey: Talkin' 'Bout the Next Generation
  • Options
    I've asked something similar before, but as someone facing a c/s...exactly what is it about a c/s that causes all the swelling??
  • Options

My feet swelled up pretty bad too after my c/s.  My dr said it could take up to 2 weeks for the swelling to go down.  My feet got way worse before they got better.  I woke up one morning with instant relief after about 1 1/2 weeks. 

I believe the reason you get swelling is because they pump you with tons of fluids. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I was actually given a pill 1 week pp, due to awful swelling in my ankles. On the phone with the nurse, she said swelling was normal. When she saw me later on that day, she had the OB check me--She immediately gave me a script. The swelling went down pretty quickly after I started the meds. I did not swell much during pregnancy, only after the c.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Drink lots of water and watch your salt intake. Elevating mine while sleeping helped as well.
    Edited because I am an English teacher and that's what we do.
    Pregnancy Ticker 

BFP: 7/20/14  MMC: 8/29/14  D&C: 8/31
    BFP: 12/27/14 MMC: 1/26/15 D&C: 1/29
    Anniversary

• Options
    imageLauraR326:

My feet swelled up pretty bad too after my c/s.  My dr said it could take up to 2 weeks for the swelling to go down.  My feet got way worse before they got better.  I woke up one morning with instant relief after about 1 1/2 weeks. 

I believe the reason you get swelling is because they pump you with tons of fluids. 

Do they not give you a ton of fluids during the hours of labor for a vaginal delivery, too?

• Options
    Mine wasn't that bad (gone by 4-5days post op). Drink lots of water
    b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"