January 2012 Moms

3rd Trimester Ultrasound to check baby's weight?

Well at my appointment today, doc said that I am 1 cm dilated and 70% effaced. She said that I was measuring 39 weeks, which is normal, but also said she thinks that the baby is big.  I am being sent for an ultrasound to check baby's weight on Monday.

My ultrasound prescription (they are done out of office) says "macrosomia."  When I looked this up, I found that it literally means "big baby syndrome."  Has anyone had any experience with this?  I know that ultrasounds are not completely accurate and from what I have read, "macrosomia" is not a good reason to induce labor or schedule a c-section.  I am hoping that my doc does not want to resort to either of these things.

I am trying to stay calm, but keep thinking "OMG am I going to have a huge baby?!"  I have gained a lot of weight, but I am not by any means abnormally large (at least I don't think so). 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 3rd Trimester Ultrasound to check baby's weight?

• Macrosomia was mentioned at my appt today too, I have GD though so that's why it was thrown out there.  However, I'm measuring right on track, but I still have an ultrasound for tuesday to check his weight.  I don't think you have anything to worry about.  Even if you have a big baby, doesn't mean it won't be healthy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you for your response.  I'm sure everything is fine.  I never expected to have a small baby.  My fiance and I are both tall and he was 9 lbs 6oz at birth.  I don't mind having a bigger baby as long as he is healthy and happy.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am going through the same thing.  There have never been problems with how LO was measuring until today.  Doc thinks that I measured a little large for my due date, so I have an ultrasound scheduled for next week.  I wasn't really expecting a big baby since I was a very small baby and DH wasn't big as well (he did come early though, so he could have been bigger if he went to his due date).  We'll see. I've gained a total of 19 lbs so far, so hopefully the ultrasound shows that he isn't too big.  I definitely do not want a c-section because there is a possibility of him being big.  That would be horrible.  Good luck with your ultrasound, hopefully both of ours turn out all right.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think the doctors just have to give the medical reason for the ultrasound. It must be the technical term for saying "i think this baby is big". It is probably good they wrote that for insurance reasons. In my opinion it is just making sure it is billed a medically necessary, not just elective. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • I had one earlier this week and will again next week for baby being on the other end...too small (5 lb 12 oz) :(  I'm pretty small (5'8" but size 0) and have only gained about 20 lbs....maybe he is just running out of room.

US can be way off.  Here's to hoping we all have healthy and appropriately sized babies!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image image
    BabyName Ticker
  • I also have a growth u/s scheduled for next week.  It will be my second of this pregnancy.  The last one my doctor  thought I was measuring 6 weeks ahead.  Turns out that LO was measuring in the 55th percentile.  He was right smack dab in the middle.  I was fine up until my last appt and now they think I am measuring big again.  I have gained only 20 lbs total so it shouldn't be my weight gain that is skewing his size.  My hubby on the other hand was over 10 lbs and 3 weeks early and he is a big guy at 6'5" and 280lbs so it wouldn't surprise me if our son was on the big size.  I agree that you can't worry about the medical term for "big baby."  Good luck with your u/s.  I am right there with everyone in that I don't want to get scheduled for a c-section due to an overly big baby!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemegaloo27:
    I think the doctors just have to give the medical reason for the ultrasound. It must be the technical term for saying "i think this baby is big". It is probably good they wrote that for insurance reasons. In my opinion it is just making sure it is billed a medically necessary, not just elective. 

This.  Don't let the "diagnosis" freak you out.  It's just a word and probably more to do w/ billing and insurance.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for all of your responses ladies.  I feel much better.  I wish you all a healthy and comfortable end of pregnancy!

Happy New Year! 2012 is going to bring lots of little miracles!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"