Georgia Babies

When did you decide on a name for LO(s)?

We still don't have names.  We need a boy and a girl because we are team green, but this time around it is so hard!  I don't like anything.  Ugh.  
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: When did you decide on a name for LO(s)?

• With Reid it was as they were putting my epidural in. I told DH that I wasn't bringing a child into the world without a name so we needed to decide!
    Grant Thomas 8.8.06 and Reid Alexander 8.11.08
  • Names were hard for me.  For me, it had to "mean" something, or be tied to something, which is totally unnecessary I know.  I went through every single name as far back on both sides of the family tree as we could go looking for inspiration and went from there. 

I had Emma's whole name picked out pretty early on, around 6 or 7 months.  I wasn't 100% sure on Tess's name until we had to sign the birth certificate. 

nymbler.com is a pretty good site for coming up with some ideas.  What names do you kind of like? Oh, and please, if it's a girl don't name her Ruby :)

• Loading the player...
  • Marlowe's name was rough because we were convinced she was going to be a boy.  We came up with her name and then found out it was a family name (my great-great grandmother's).  I wanted it spelled Marlo and DH wanted it with the -we, so I said we'd use whatever the family spelling was never imagining it would have been spelled his way back in the 1800's.  All of this came about when I was about 25 weeks, but don't worry, I have a friend who's being induced next week and she still hasn't decided on a name.

For this one, it's a boy so we're just re-using the name we'd already picked out last time, which is Jude, but the middle name is giving us lots of trouble. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have a first name. Middle name is still up in the air. With L we knew her name before she was born but was not sure of the formal part of her first name until she was born. DH and I don't agree on boy names. So this has been a tough one. I think it's hard to name your own kids as a teacher because you can associate personalities with a lot of names.
  • We had a name for a boy and a girl picked out before we were even trying, so it was easy. Next time, it may take longer if we have another girl. My BIL/SIL didn't have a name for ther 2nd until the dy they left the hospital and that's only because they wouldn't discharge them without a name (according to BIL/SIL). 
    Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageK&P414:

Names were hard for me.  For me, it had to "mean" something, or be tied to something, which is totally unnecessary I know.  I went through every single name as far back on both sides of the family tree as we could go looking for inspiration and went from there. 

I had Emma's whole name picked out pretty early on, around 6 or 7 months.  I wasn't 100% sure on Tess's name until we had to sign the birth certificate. 

nymbler.com is a pretty good site for coming up with some ideas.  What names do you kind of like? Oh, and please, if it's a girl don't name her Ruby :)

Haha!  What about Erma?  ; )

• With the boys we knew before the nt scan at 13wks what are boy names were. We never had any girl names.

This time around dh doesn't want to think about names until the 20wk u/s. I have a girl's name I want to use and we'll see if he goes for it.

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Names were very hard for us.  We never really considered girl names because we found out the sex with ours.  We always went to the hospital with two names and decided there.  With Ethan, he was either going to be Ethan Walter or Nicholas Ryan.  We named him when he was around four hours old.  He looked like an Ethan Walter to me so it just fit. 

Jack was much more difficult.  He was either going to be Benjamin Ryan or Jackson Ryan.  We did not name him until the day we left the hospital because I was so torn.  Neither Benjamin or Jackson seemed to fit him so dh rolled him down to the nurses station and had the 8 nurses vote and all 8 liked Jackson better so that's what we decided on.  True and crazy story. 

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With Benjamin, we had a boy name and a girl name picked out even before we were married.  With Noah, we finalized our girl name the day before the gender scan although I was leaning towards using our girl name from Benjamin.  I was so sure Noah was going to be a girl that I didn't even want to discuss boy names until after I found out. 

We found out the Thursday before Memorial Day weekend that he was a boy and I cried and cried until that Monday because I couldn't for the life of me pick out a name that I liked and I *needed* to name him so I knew who I was dealing with.  DH finally put a list together that Monday of names that I liked at one point and told me to choose.  We narrowed it down to two names, slept on it, woke up the next day and DH asked BIL which name he liked better and went with that because we still liked both names equally.

Naming #2 was so hard for us (or rather for me).  Good luck with your decision!!!

• It was very early on both times.  By the time we found out the gender, we knew what their names would be.  With Gavin, that was the first and only boy name we ever agreed on.  DH really didn't want our kids to have middle names b/c none of his family has them.  I was pretty insistant b/c what are you going to call them when you get really mad if they don't have a middle name???  So DH agreed to it as long as Gavin's middle name was HIS name- lol.  For a girl, I had always wanted the name Madelyn.  Long before it got popular.  But DH's cousin has a dog named Maddie and he couldn't stand naming her after a dog.  So... we really never had a girl name picked out the first time.  Truthfully... the name Sophie didn't come up until after Gavin was born.  We were watching "Gene Simmons Family Jewels" and his daughter is named Sophie and I asked DH if he liked the name and he said yes.  I filed it away for future use.  To this day, I don't think he remembers that's where it came from :-)  Which is fine... I don't exactly love the fact that my baby girl is named after the daughter of "the guy with the tongue."  DH thinks it was just meant to be- lol.  Her middle name is Kay... after DH's mom that passed away. 

• Almost the same thing happened both times. The first time, the name Cadence popped into my head randomly before I even knew I was pregnant and DH liked it. We debated back and forth and second guessed ourselves and finally decided on a middle name that went with Cadence. It was definite around 25 weeks or so.

With Trevor, I picked out the name after I knew I was pregnant, but before we knew it was a boy. We went back and forth and finally settled on the original name and a middle by 32 weeks or so.

Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016
    missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

• I knew with Kate and Noah as soon as I got pregnant. Maggie was a little harder. I had a boys name (Aaron James) picked out and a girls middle name (Virginia), but her first name was more difficult for me. I know whatever you decide it will be awesome!
  • Few hours after they were born!
  • We had our girl name picked out early on. With boy names, we were going back and forth because we couldn't agree on one. But that all went out the window when I had my 20 week u/s and we found out she was a girl :)
  • with Elliot we decided somewhere between 20 and 25 weeks.  Baby girl has been harder.  Dh decided he liked my grandmother's name but after getting negative feed back he just this week decided we need to change it to the name I wanted 3 months ago.  I am still a little undecided.
  • We had boy names right away, but no girl names until the very last minute.  And of course we had a girl ;)

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• We have three names we are deciding between. The first time was so much easier to pick a name. This time, I am really undecided. My husband has a name he loves..which we'll probably end up going with.
    Photobucket Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Since we were Team Green, we had a boy and girl named picked out the first go-round. We liked the boy name so much that we kept it and just had to decide on a girl's name for kid #2. I loved our girl's name. I'm sad we won't be able to use it. But Cecil Jay was our original boy's name.

Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • we had Finn's name picked out before we were pregnant, Riley's was decided around 37 weeks and Kellen's was decided at like 35 weeks.  it got harder every time!  I think it is also harder the subsequent times because I feel like all the kids names should kind of flow together, KWIM?  and being team green is harder because then you have to come up with two names.
  • The debate raged on for P's name the entire pregnancy and we eventually went with a "P" name bc it was clear Polly was sticking and DH wanted it to be a nickname not her real name although I wish we had just put Polly on the birth certificate.  I liked her middle name from a TV show I was watching at the time.  It was a nice touch that PM are my Dad's initials (her name is Penelope Marin).  Since it took forever to name P and I wanted Isaac to have a name, when the US drama settled and it was a boy I let DH pick, I approved, end of story.  It happened to be the name my sister had picked for a boy if she ever had one but since she is getting a divorce that seems to be a non-issue now.  I have a boy's name picked if we ever (unlikely) have #3.  I had a girl's name but then someone else in my family picked it for their little girl.  Which is fine, DH wasn't wild on it anyway. I have another idea anyway.  But again, unlikely.

• If you need an idea for a girl name, I was going to use Brooklyn if I ever had another girl but someone else in my family picked it.  Another pretty name that is already being used in my family is Ruth.  A boy's name being used that I like is Knox.  I also like Tristan for a boy and DH has nixed it.  I also considered Ruby for a girls name for Isaac since he was born in July.  I like Pearl and Jewel (great great aunts for me), too but those are all pretty old school.  Not sure if that is your flavor.  I've also considered Louise and Ann, MIL's and my mother's maiden names.  Boys names in my family are pretty white bread but tried and true great boy names, Patrick, Daniel, Thomas, Sydney, Charles.  My Dad's middle name is Mathias if you like old school Gaelic.

Just some ideas for you....

• Both times we decided around 30 weeks or so. Ethan took a bit longer than Graham.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • At our NT scan at 12 weeks the doctor was pretty confident he was a boy, so although we had discussed some girls names before, we really just started to talk about boys names.  Once we had it confirmed that we were having a boy at 20 weeks, we narrowed it down to two names--Camden and Max.  We went back and forth and I think we finally decided on Camden at about 26 or 27 weeks. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Boy name we had a solid year before he was born.  We were never settled on a girl name so good thing he wasn't one!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not even pregnant yet and I already have names picked out. I'm having trouble with the middle names but first names are ready to go. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"