February 2012 Moms
Options

Oven self clean

Does anyone use the self clean on their oven?  I started mine an hour ago and I thought it just burned the crap off the bottom but the smell is really bad.  Do you think there is stuff in it that is bad for me to be inhaling or is it just burnt food?

ETA- I do have all doors and windows open and fans on 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Oven self clean

• Options
    I never use it because the smell makes me light-headed. I use easy off but I haven't since I found out I was pregnant because I don't know if it is safe.
  • Options
    I'm betting that as long as you didn't add any chemicals it's fine.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just did the self clean on mine, I took the racks out and let it do its thing. I was actually leaving the house for a few hours not because I was worried about what its doing but just because I had stuff to do. I came home and it smelled HORRIBLE. There are no chemicals in it, it just heats up to extremely high temperatures and it turns all the crap into ash.
  • Options
    I tried it for the first time one night after I overflowed a casserole all over the bottom of my oven. I SO did not expect the smell. It was horrid...so what you are smelling is normal. When I do it again, I'll definitely be leaving the house. I don't know if it is toxic or not, but it stunk to high heaven. 
  • Options
    Haha yah that's AWFUL hey?! We used it on our oven in our first apartment when we were about to move out, it was HORRIBLE, our eyes were all stinging, it took the entire day to  air the place out and we had the concierge knocking on our door because they were getting reports of a 'fire' in the building! It just is like white hot heat and is burning everything in there to fine ash. it's funny to open the door at the end and see the little tiny pile of ash and a clean oven. The best thing is to leave the windows open to some extent and fans on and go out for the day, or go outside for a few hours. But I still have never used that function again, we just had no idea what it even was or how to use it, so it was a shock. We use easy off, thankfully the stove in our current place was new when we moved in and won't need a cleaning till well after baby comes. A good tip to maintain the clean: you can get these aluminum foil trays from the dollar store to line the oven floor. Cuts your cleaning by like 2/3 right there. 
  • Options
    I actually did mine for the first time last week...although the smell is terrible, it's completely normal...it's basically just an extreme burning since the oven gets so hot, but there are no chemicals involved!  I would much rather that then the easy off!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I ended up turning it off because it was giving me a terrible headache, so DH is going to do it for me this weekend while I take DS somewhere.  We are just too afraid to run it while we aren't home for fear of a fire.  DH can handle it though!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"