D.C. Area Babies

another shower?

So, my best friend is all up for throwing me a "sprinkle" (2nd shower) for Baby #2, especially since it's a girl this time. Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I mean, I was so lucky to have a great shower with my first, we have lots of stuff obviously, and I don't know if it just seems greedy and too much. I mean, girl clothes would be great, but just a nice bonus. What do you ladies think? I can't really think of any second showers I've been too, but then again not many of my friends have second babies yet. It is super sweet of her to offer, I don't want to seem like I don't appreciate it, but just not sure!
Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: another shower?

• We had a very small family/neighbor second shower when I was pg with #2, my mom hosted.  I really appreciated it and never thought twice about it.  It was only in the last year or so when I was lurking on the MM board that I realized there are a ton of people who think it's the tackiest thing in the world.  Who knew? With #3 we had a "welcome to the world" party (I've heard people call it a "sip and see") at our house when he was about two months old.
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • I think it's OK, especially since you're having a girl. If you're worried about it looking tacky, you could have the host say that you only need girl clothes, or maybe just have people bring diapers or books or something like that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• Loading the player...
  • in some parts of the country, it is customary to throw a shower for every single baby. in others, it's considered gift grabby - which just boggles my mind b/c unless the mother-to-be (again) initiates said shower, she usually has nothing to do with it.

i didn't expect to have a 2nd shower, but my DCP threw one for me and it was lovely! the group was different since my friend group had changed since having my first (some moved away, some were seasonal, some were new!).

i think if someone is kind and generous enough to offer to host a shower, then they should do just that! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have no problem with it, but some people think it's tacky. As long as you don't have a huge registry with tons of things on it, I think it's fine.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • since I was having a baby of another gender, I agreed to a 2nd shower but I insisted that it be very very small. It was just 5 of us (1 person couldn't make it last minute), we got a semi-private (no fee for it) room at Clyde's. One person brought cupcakes and everyone paid for themselves and my lunch; I got clothes and some toys for gifts. It was perfect, very intimate and not over-the-top. My 1st shower was 20 ppl (which, for me, is a lot), including future grandmas. This one was only close friends. FWIW, these same friends attended my 1st shower as well.

• I think something very small (less than 10 people) that's billed as a "tea" or a "sprinkle" with the main purpose being to celebrate the pending arrival of a new baby and not to "shower" the mom with gifts is fine.  Every new baby should be celebrated in my opinion.  I am not a fan of second "showers," however.  It's a fine line but I think it can be pulled off. 

Re: girl's clothing. Do you have any friends or coworkers who are done having kids?  We were given so many beautiful hand-me-down clothes from a coworker.  It's not something you can really ask about, but I actually preferred that to getting a lot of new clothes the baby would only wear once.  

• I feel like a second shower is a little tacky, but a sprinkle is different and totally acceptable.  It's intended to be much smaller than a shower, I've seen them done with a much smaller guest list and some sort of themed, small present idea. I'm planning on throwing a surprise sprinkle for one of my best friends having her second baby, and it will probably just be her mom, sister, a special "aunt" (her mom's best friend), her 2 old college roommates and four other close girlfriends that we do girls night with once or twice a month.  In lieu of presents I'm going to ask that everyone bring their favorite baby book(s) and write a special message to the baby on the inside, and will host it at my house instead of renting a facility like you would for a shower.  If your friend is excited for you and wants to celebrate your baby, I say just accept and let your friends share in your joy! :)
  • imagefuturemrstorres:
    I feel like a second shower is a little tacky, but a sprinkle is different and totally acceptable.  It's intended to be much smaller than a shower, I've seen them done with a much smaller guest list and some sort of themed, small present idea. I'm planning on throwing a surprise sprinkle for one of my best friends having her second baby, and it will probably just be her mom, sister, a special "aunt" (her mom's best friend), her 2 old college roommates and four other close girlfriends that we do girls night with once or twice a month.  In lieu of presents I'm going to ask that everyone bring their favorite baby book(s) and write a special message to the baby on the inside, and will host it at my house instead of renting a facility like you would for a shower.  If your friend is excited for you and wants to celebrate your baby, I say just accept and let your friends share in your joy! :)

my only comment about the books is that she may already have some of the books and now she'll have 2 of the same and b/c they'll have writing in it, won't be able to return or regift. I love books and am of the "you can't have too many books" opinion but we did get a lot of the same books the 2nd time around.

• I think it's fine to have a second "sprinkle", especially when the baby is a different sex (but also okay if the baby is the same sex). I had a friend offer to do a sprinkle for me for #2 and at first, I didn't want to do it because I felt like people had already given me so many gifts. However, we did something low-key with a guest list under 10 and it ended up being a very nice affair. Also, I didn't want a ton of new clothes and baby stuff so we did a book shower and everyone brought a book. I'm happy that my second baby will know that she was celebrated too and it was a nice excuse to get together with a bunch of friends.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I wasnt planning on doing a shower for my 2nd especially since they were only 21 months apart but everyone kept asking me when the shower was so we ended up throwing a sprinkle shower it was small about 15 people or so and we didnt register. just told anyone who asked to do diapers, wipes, etc
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My "sprinkle" is next weekend, and I only agreed to it if it was simple and no gifts were expected.  It's a high-tea party and I'm pretty excited.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"