Baby Showers

Can I ask them to do it earlier?

I work at a childcare facility with 100+ employees.  The ladies at work want to throw me a shower which will help me out A TON.  However, I just found out I will be induced in 4 weeks and they now want to do the shower AFTER baby because "its so close".  Am I being rude or ungrateful if I ask them to do it sooner?  I really don't have much for baby, nor the means of getting a lot.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Can I ask them to do it earlier?

• Nope, sorry. The ladies know when you're being induced, and they know they can't do a shower in that timeframe. You don't get to ask them to reconsider because you want stuff sooner. On the upside, babies need remarkably little, especially in the early days. You need a car seat, diapers, and some onesies and you're all set.
  • imageswimgirl87:
    I work at a childcare facility with 100+ employees.  The ladies at work want to throw me a shower which will help me out A TON.  However, I just found out I will be induced in 4 weeks and they now want to do the shower AFTER baby because "its so close".  Am I being rude or ungrateful if I ask them to do it sooner?  I really don't have much for baby, nor the means of getting a lot.

It is rude to expect your co-workers to go out of their way to plan a shower on such short notice. As to the bolded part. It is not other people's responsibility to provide for your child. I'll forego the whole irresponsibilty statement that could follow, and just say that you really only need a car seat, a few clothes, some diapers and bottles (if you FF) in order to bring your child home.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • No you cannot ask them to do it earlier especially since you will be induced in only a few weeks. THat is not enough time to have anyone put a shower together.  If it were say your sister hosting a shower then you could probably suggest but you really have no say in who throws you a shower and when they do it.  Sorry. Get a car seat and diapers and a few changes of clothes.  You can even get clothes at dollar stores or consignment shops. 
  • No, you can't ask them to bump it up, but if they ask you can say you would prefer it before.  Honestly, babies really do not need that much in the beginning.  Both my kids lived in sleepers and onesies for the first month.  I would just have your baby and enjoy the shower after your LO is born.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagehocus:

I actually think it would be fine to ask once, and then let it go if they don't want to move it.

Newborns need very little in the first few weeks; get a car seat, diapers/wipes, onesies, blankets and a little bassinet and you'll be fine until your shower.

I'll agree with this.

Do you have a Kid to Kid near where you live? You can get great second-hand items in excellent condition without spending a lot. I just bought a brand new video monitor system for my sister for $40. Still in the box. Retails for over $200. Goodwill is also an excellent place to pick up a few onesies. Babies where newborn clothes for such a short time that you can get really great items second-hand.  

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Nope.  If you're that hard off that you can't buy your kid the bare necessities (such as a safe car seat) look for organizations that can help you.  It's no one's responsibility but your own to provide for you child. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • This is unfortunately a "tough noogies" situation.  You're getting a shower so suck it up buttercup, you shouldn't have planned to rely on the generosity of others to get the essentials for your baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageDO-JO:

This is unfortunately a "tough noogies" situation.  You're getting a shower so suck it up buttercup, you shouldn't have planned to rely on the generosity of others to get the essentials for your baby.

Wow, what a rude remark.  A lot of you also had other VERY rude remarks.  You don't know the situation I am in or how I came to be there so don't Flipping JUDGE!!  We had money saved up and do to some hardships with my car and other things in the last 2 months we have had to use what savings we had.

The ladies at work had originally told me they were going to be doing the shower January 7th.  It was only 2 days ago that they told me they were thinking of changing it to AFTER the baby. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageswimgirl87:

Wow, what a rude remark.  A lot of you also had other VERY rude remarks.  You don't know the situation I am in or how I came to be there so don't Flipping JUDGE!!  We had money saved up and do to some hardships with my car and other things in the last 2 months we have had to use what savings we had.

The ladies at work had originally told me they were going to be doing the shower January 7th.  It was only 2 days ago that they told me they were thinking of changing it to AFTER the baby. 

Yup, you're right, we don't know you.  However, I do know that there are organizations that are set up to help people provide safe car seats for people who can not afford them.  You're not the first or the last person to have savings deplete  unexpectantly, darling.  If you're that in need, there are organizations out there.  Family and friends, assuming they know you're that hard off, will likely step up to the plate on their own.  It's not your place to guilt trip and shake down your friends, family and co-workers for free stuff.  Rude or not, you asked if it was ok for you to insist or suggest they do something they don't want/can't manage to do and it's not.  

Honestly the only things a newborn really needs are:  car seat, sleeping spot (bassinet/crib/co-sleeping/whatever), diapers (of whatever variety) a few onesies and food.  If you're so bad off you can't afford these basic necessities without having a workplace shower, you really need to contact some sort of agency for assistance.  WIC, etc.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • What would you have done if there was no work place shower?  It has been my experience that co-workers rarely spend that much on gifts...or if they do get bigger ticket items they go in together and purchase one or maybe two items.

I suggest you get a carseat to get the baby home.  You'll come home from the hospital with a couple of formula bottles (if you nurse you probably won't even need them) and a bunch of diapers.  Pick up a few onesies and a couple of receiving blankets and you should be OK.  You most likely can find really nice newborn clothes at the Salvation Army/Goodwill - like others said newborns are in them for such a short time they are like new (some actually ARE new).  You might be able to find a bassinet there as well but if not they are only about $50 including the mattress.  My kids were in the bassinet for over a month and they were not tiny babies (7 lbs and up). 

Hopefully they will have the shower really close to your due date.  If they know what you are having they can actually have the invites ready to go out.  What do they really have to do in order to organize it?  Almost all work showers I've attend have been put together in a matter of a couple of days...so I guess I'm not getting why they can't do it sooner.  Unfortunately, that is what they want to do.  If you've asked them to move it up and they refuse there is really nothing else you can do except wait.

Hang in there...it will all work out.

• imageswimgirl87:
    imageDO-JO:

This is unfortunately a "tough noogies" situation.  You're getting a shower so suck it up buttercup, you shouldn't have planned to rely on the generosity of others to get the essentials for your baby.

It doesn't matter what your situation is, asking coworkers to change the shower date because you failed to provide for your baby is rude. Nobody was rude, just honest. You asked a question and you got answers, just because it wasn't what you wanted to hear doesn't mean the posters were rude.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I only know the details you provide, but regardless, my opinion is not changed.. Its no surprise that in the course of a year you're bound to have car troubles so again this sounds like someone who hasn't planned for the inevitable.  If you want someone to pander to you and blow smoke up your butt then confide in your girlfriends who sugar coat everything, if you post here you're going to hear opinions you don't like. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • If you rely solely on shower gifts, you may be disappointed. Perhaps go to your local consignment shop or check on craigslist for previously loved baby gear. When in desperate times, you do what you have to in order to provide for your family. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"