Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Could this actually be teething?

I was under the impression K had picked up a cold. Since the day after Christmas, she has been congested, had a runny nose, fussy, and hasn't slept for more than 1-2 hours at a time. So far, she doesn't have a single tooth and every time someone said "she must be teething", nothing ever came of it. I don't feel anything poking through anymore than normal. If your LO has teeth, how did you know when it was actual teething? And how long did it take?

Re: Could this actually be teething?

• We know Sarah is teething if she starts getting sleepier than usual, eats less and sticks her tongue out more than normal.  Right now she's getting a bottom molar (pre molar?) so her tongue is poking out that side ALL. THE. TIME.

She started just before 6 mo with her bottom two, then got her top 2 and another top incisor at the same time, then just last week a bottom pre molar popped out.  I was a lot surprised by that one b/c they aren't supposed to get those before they get the rest of their incisors - which she doesn't have all of them yet.

• I blame basically everything on teething. If Sully is fussy and clingy for longer than 30 minutes, I assume he is in some sort of pain and medicate. I would use the same thing whether he's sick or teething, so it really doesn't matter.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagecatycate:
    I blame basically everything on teething. If Sully is fussy and clingy for longer than 30 minutes, I assume he is in some sort of pain and medicate. I would use the same thing whether he's sick or teething, so it really doesn't matter.
    This! Hen's teething symptoms are very similar to a cold, except the snot tends to just be clear. With a cold it's yellow. Also with teething he chews on his fingers and tongue more.
    imageimage
    BFP # 1- DS ~ TTC #2 since Jan. 2012 - BFP # 2 - "Baby Elsie" - Blighted Ovum - D&C August 22, 2012 at 7w3d, BFP # 3 - CP - December 30, 2012, BFP # 4 - CP - March 19, 2013 ~ First RE Appt. 4/24/13 Med cycle #1: 50mg Clomid and Trigger shot = BFN. Med. Cycle #2: 6 cysts found. No meds/rest cycle. Trying on our own = BFP # 5! Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 129 Beta #3 = 94 - CP - July 2, 2013. BFP # 6! Beta#1 = 21, Beta#2 =58 Beta#3 = 134. U/S shows heartbeat of 142 at 7w2d!
  • Thanks ladies. Unfortunately, this kids has been chomping everything since she was able to grab it. Her tongue has been sticking out for months and she is still awake at 9:30 pm. Eating hasn't changed at all either. She hates anyone in her mouth but her gums are not white or swollen. Though, I can't blame her. I'd be pissed if someone tried to hold my head still so they could shove their fingers in my mouth and feel around.

This kid will be gumming her birthday cake.

• Drooling and chewing on everything.  It's really hard to tell until the tooth is just about to erupt, though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I blame everything on teething, and yet only two teeth have popped through here. We have had nothing in over two months. Number of times I've blamed something on teething = at least 125.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageHenHen25:
    imagecatycate:
    I blame basically everything on teething. If Sully is fussy and clingy for longer than 30 minutes, I assume he is in some sort of pain and medicate. I would use the same thing whether he's sick or teething, so it really doesn't matter.
    This! Hen's teething symptoms are very similar to a cold, except the snot tends to just be clear. With a cold it's yellow. Also with teething he chews on his fingers and tongue more.

Ditto, plus chewing hardcore and drooling.

• It was hard to tell since everything since he was 4.5 months was always blamed on teething and yet approaching the 9 month mark he was still toothless. For us it was him stopping STTN and while we'd had interuptions in his sleeping before it was not effective to just nurse him and put him back to bed. He was awake and restless for large chunks of the night. For me I saw it before i felt it. There was this tiny white/clear spot on his gumline then maybe a day or two later it split and you could feel something sharp. Be thankful for no teeth. I was really anxious to get them in and get them over with but now when he is bored and frusterated over my low supply he bites me with his two new teeth. Ugh. It is a work in progress.

ETA: Forgot to answer how long it took. I would say a week from starting waking until the tooth broke the surface and he slept better. Once it was thru even a little he was in better spirits. He woke again a lot last night so I think we are working on more =/

The bumpie formerly known as First Time in MI
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"