Food Allergy
Options

Cheese allergy?

My DD is almost 9 months old.  We have been doing BLW with her from the beginning, and we've given her cheese before.  The first time we weren't sure what caused her reaction, but then I gave her cheese again and she had the same reaction.

Both times she's developed hives on her face wherever the cheese touched.  She didn't seem to have any other problem than that.  She wasn't unhappy, didn't have any internal reaction as far as we could tell, just the hives.  Does this sound like anything you've ever heard of before?  We're taking her in for her 9 month appointment soon, so we'll be asking her doctor.  But does this sound like a normal allergic reaction to dairy?  I'd never heard of hives developing from dairy.

TIA! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cheese allergy?

• Options
    Yes, that's an allergic reaction. Same thing happened when we started giving DD cheese and yogurt. I would let the pedi know and avoid dairy until you can have her tested by an allergist. Some dr's won't do allergy testing until the age of 1. We had DD tested at 1 and she's allergic to dairy, soy, and eggs. Her levels are high enough that we have to keep an EpiPen on hand (thankfully we've never had to use it).
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Options

Hives were just one of my son's many symptoms with his dairy allergy.  What other dairy items has she had?  Does she react to any of them? 

I would definitely talk to your pedi and see what they say and ask about allergy testing.  My son turned out to be allergic to dairy, certain types of rubber, trees, grasses, and pollen.  He's on Claritin most of the year for the environmental ones and has an epi-pen for his dairy one.

IAmPregnant Ticker Support with Integrity
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Cheese was the first dairy product that we tried, and we're understandably gun-shy after what happened here.  We're definitely going to talk to our pedi about testing.  This just makes me so sad for her.  We're already a gluten free house, and I'm dreading going dairy free as well.  I hope it's not as serious as I think it is.  Thanks for the informations!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    A lot of babies who are allergic to dairy end up outgrowing it by age 2-3. So even though it's a pain to adjust to, hopefully it'll only be temporary. If you're gluten free already, you probably cook from scratch a lot anyway, so that helps already. A lot of packaged food contains dairy, but if you eat fresh, whole foods, you know it's safe. And there are alternatives like rice, almond, coconut milk/yogurt, Earth Balance makes dairy free "butter," and Daiya makes dairy free "cheese." So far, my DD has loved all that stuff.
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Options
    Sounds like a reaction to me!  My LO breaks out in rashes and hives when in contact with cheese.  Like the previous post Daiya is a great alternative to cheese.  They make mozzarella and cheddar that melt great for as we call them "fake grilled cheese sandwiches."  (Tapioca bread (gluten/dairy/soy/egg free) and Daiya cheese)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"