Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Mini Pill and milk supply

Anyone have issues with milk supply after starting the mini pill?  I know it is not supposed to effect supply, but I am convinced my supply is lower since I started taking it.  I used to be able to pump 6 oz at night and tonight I only could pump 4.5 oz.  Also LO has stopped sttn and now wants to eat at least 2x per night where he used to at max eat once.  I'm thinking about stopping it but have no I idea what I will do for bc.

DS Born 10/5/11 TTC #2 starting 8/2012 BFP! 11/12/12 EDD 7/26/12... natural m/c 12/1/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Mini Pill and milk supply

• According to my midwife - it doesn't affect supply, according to my lactation consultant it does.

My body agrees with the LC.  I stopped taking it after only a few days and noticed my supply go back up.  I could be wrong, but I think the only BC that wouldn't cause you trouble is condoms.  Or praying...hehe.

I am only going based upon what my own body did.  GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IMG_20130228_133645
  • I found that with my first so with my second I didn't start taking it again until I was done BF.  I don't intend to start back on the mini pill this time around either until LO is on solids and whole milk.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Loading the player...
  • When I started to take the minipill with DS1, I noticed my supply dropped within a couple days. And then I got my period. I thought that was the reason for the drop - but then my supply never recovered.

I decided not to go on it this time around. I love that I don't get a period but I hate condoms. I do plan to get Mirena next month and hope that my supply won't be affected. My twin sister loved Mirena because she never got a period. I hope I have the same luck.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ug.  I've been on it for three weeks and I think I'm going to stop.  We hate condoms too, we might just do a lot of praying, ha!  Thanks for the info ladies.
    DS Born 10/5/11 TTC #2 starting 8/2012 BFP! 11/12/12 EDD 7/26/12... natural m/c 12/1/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I definitely effected my milk supply within three days I noticed a huge difference when I pumped and LO seemed to be hungry more often :o/
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yeah I suggest you stop now if you want to keep EBF. My supply completely stopped after just a few weeks of using the pill. I tried using fenugreek but eventually just gave up trying to get it back
    image   Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With my second after a few days of taking it she started waking at night and eating more during the day.  I stopped taking it and she went back to her normal schedule. I started taking it again and she started waking at night and eating more again.  I stopped it again and she went back to her normal schedule.  So I know it was the mini pill.  I did not go on it this time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I noticed a dip at first, but decided to give it at least a week before I stopped taking the mini pill. At exactly one week my supply recovered, so maybe give it some time if you like. I also found that once I stopped freaking out about how the mini pill could be effecting my supply that my supply began to increase, so maybe give it another chance? GL with whatever you decide to do.
  • I'm not sure.  It's been 2 months and I've also gone back to work part-time so hard to tell which is or isn't related to what seems like a supply dip.  I may stop it and see if it gets better since that is the only way to tell.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"