Adoption
Options

Gift idea for friends who legalize their adoption soon

Our friends, who started off as just neighbors, adopted a sweet little girl in June.  They finalize/legalize their adoption in court tomorrow.  Through the whole process, they have been sharing things with us and talk openly about their baby's birth parents, etc.  One time, the mom even told me how she was looking for daycare that was more "diverse" (I didnt understand what she meant at the time because I can be a flake - but I think she meant somewhere with a mix of ethnicities... their sweet daughter is black).  Both her and her dh (as well as my dh and I) are white, and the area we live in is not very diverse.

To celebrate tomorrow, I got their daughter a Cabbage Patch Doll that is African American.  Is this appropriate?  I think it is, but I do not want to offend anyone.  Our daughter and their daughter are weeks apart and I know they will be great friends.  I liked how the doll has an adoption certificate.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Gift idea for friends who legalize their adoption soon

• Options
    Personally, I think it's sweet! I don't think it's inappropriate, although I might if it was someone I wasn't close to. I think it's cool that it has an adoption certificate too.
    I don't have much experience, so I know it's not much help, but I'm sure other ladies will have great input.
  • Options

I think your gift idea is great!  I love CPkids.
    There are also many great picture books with the theme of adoption that could accompany the doll.

Thank you for being such a great friend to this couple.  It sounds like your families will have years of playdates, dinners, laughs, and fun.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I think it's sweet.  My son is bi-racial (half black, half white) and Santa gave him a black CPK this Christmas too.  I liked the adoption certificate too.

I vote nice gift. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think it is incredibly sweet :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"