Babies: 9 - 12 Months

how do you handle all the falling and tumbling happening ?

The cruising leads to lots of tumbles.  We have bumpers and stuff on the tables but just wondering how you deal with your little ones boo boos.  I don't know if mine is especially prone but several times a day I am singing a boo boo song and comforting her specifically about that. My husband takes a totally dofferent approach ( which I find annoying) where he says "yay!" and claps and makes a whole bunch of fanfare when she hurts herself.  She screams but eventually is ok in the end. Not sure why but his approach really annoys me - like if I was her I would be so pissed.

what do you do?

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image

Re: how do you handle all the falling and tumbling happening ?

• If he's not actually hurt I just say "Oh, you're okay!" in a cheery voice and he goes on his way. If he's really crying like he's hurt then he gets a hug and I check his boo-boos to see if they need treatment. Most of the time he's just scared himself so I try not to make a huge deal out of it if I know he's fine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Even if she cries I say, "You're okay, get up, you're fine" and help her up and most of the time that does it. She's usually not as hurt as she is startled by the fall. I'm always checking her out though to make sure it's not an actual injury. If she is hurt I put her in my lap and we snuggle it out or H gets a cold cloth to hold against whatever she bumped. She's gotten three bloody lips so far. Those are the worst.

I try not to react to any of her tumbles in a way that scares her or makes her think it's a big deal but when I see her bleeding it throws me into Chicken Little mode.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I kind of let it go unless they cry.  If they are hurt...you will know.  

If they cry and they are hurt...console them and move on.  If they are really hurt totally different story.

That is what we do.

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • Both my girls are clumsy. I can't even count how many bruises dd2 has had so far. She's pretty tough and doesn't normally cry, so when she falls I at least check to make sure there is no blood then say "uh oh! You're ok."
  • I like the whole " you're ok" idea.  Of course if she's really hurt then totally different story. I'm always checking her out but it seems like she cries real easy. then again we have hardwood floors...

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • imagerosesandpeonies:

I kind of let it go unless they cry.  If they are hurt...you will know.  

If they cry and they are hurt...console them and move on.  If they are really hurt totally different story.

That is what we do.

This exactly. When they fall, my kids look at me for how I react to it, and that shows them how to react. No matter how fast my heart is beating on the inside, I do a sing-songy "uh-oh!" and smile, and they are fine 99% of the time. When they are actually hurt, they don't look for me, just start crying, and then I jump into comfort-and-treat mode.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageGhostMonkey:

Unless there is blood or a physical bump, we either laugh or tell him to shake it off. I'm not coddling him over every little bump and bruise.

This. If you make a huge scene over every fall, kids start reacting that way too. If you just roll with it like no big deal, they tend to forget about it too. I've literally seen C fall over and look at me for a reaction first before she does anything.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I usually just tell him to "man up" or "oh, you're okay" while smiling. If I can tell it's a real cry of pain or if there is blood, I'll give him a hug.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagenbeseau:
    imageGhostMonkey:

Unless there is blood or a physical bump, we either laugh or tell him to shake it off. I'm not coddling him over every little bump and bruise.

This. If you make a huge scene over every fall, kids start reacting that way too. If you just roll with it like no big deal, they tend to forget about it too. I've literally seen C fall over and look at me for a reaction first before she does anything.

All of this. I think it sets a terrible tone for the future if you go running every time they fall. Obviously if they are really hurt it's a different story.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ember has taken some pretty hard falls where DH or my friend will try to run to her.  My reply? Wait.  If she is hurt, you will know.  95% of the time, she is fine and if I either pretend like I didn't see or say Ooops, and laugh she laughs too and gets up.  If you make a big deal out of it, they will think it is a big deal.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"