Food Allergy
Options

Healthy First Birthday Cake Recipes?

Does anyone have any good, healthy first birthday cake recipe recommendations? DD is intolerant to dairy and egg, we aren't doing her allergy testing until after her birthday, but I want to avoid her known problem areas since it's a big day. Just thought I'd try here before I just start testing out random online recipes. TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Healthy First Birthday Cake Recipes?

• Options
    Hmm. I've been gluten-free and dairy-free, but haven't had to take out eggs. I like the Betty Crocker GF mixes- they turn out really nice. As far as dairy substitute, my favorite is Rice Dream (slight sensitivity to soy and major sensitivity to almonds too, so went with rice milk). And if I need it a bit thicker (recipes that call for cream or evap. milk) I have tried a few different ones, and like DariFree the best. The other brand I got that was about $1 cheaper is clumpy, but DariFree works really well. Sorry I don't know what to tell you about the egg substitutes- I know there are a few options out there- for recipes sometimes we've used Wilton's Meringue Powder (cake decorating aisle) but I bet you could find a cheaper option that may work even better.
    Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I use the birthday cake recipes in the Food Allergy Mama cookbook.  They are dairy, egg and nut free and turn out great.

I haven't found a dairy and egg free mix that I like so I make cakes from scratch.  Sad

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I used this recipe for DS' smash cake and the cupcakes for his party. It turned out super tasty and nobody realized (or believed me) they were vegan. I used a premade icing mix though.

https://www.foodallergy.org/recipes/single/recipe/baseball-cupcakes 

Photobucket
    Nursed without dairy, egg, soy, peanut, treenut, fish, shellfish or beef for over a year.
    Currently tandem nursing dairy, egg, and shellfish free.
    DS born via emergency c/s after 20 hrs of labor. DD successful VBAC!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

Learning Liam
  • Options

We did a carrot cake that didn't have dairy in it to begin with - but I'm pretty sure it had eggs. I've had luck subbing soy yogurt for eggs in cookies and cakes when I didn't have any eggs around. Maybe to do a test run?

For icing, we made a vegan "buttercream" here: https://www.chow.com/recipes/10856-vegan-fluffy-buttercream-frosting

It was yummy!

I made a regular cream cheese icing for the rest of the party and the same cake. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

Take a Duncan hines cake mix--like yellow or white---and instead of egg and all that other stuff they say to use---pour one can of sprite or 7-up in to it---mix and make yourself a cake =)  Super easy and you'd never believe how fluffy it is.  This recipe will have wheat, but no egg or dairy. 

I use pillsbury spray frosting----no dairy or gluten in it either.

It was during DS1's smash cake incident that we realized the severity of his allergies--so it's great you are doing this.  I recommend making maybe one of those large cupcakes using the recipe above and frosting---and then you can make everyone else a "normal" cake.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"