Georgia Babies

Q: Hand Foot and Mouth and Daycare

Mom's whose kids have had hand foot and mouth..at what point did your daycare allow the child to return? 24 hours after they were fever free? Did they have to have a doctor's note saying they were not contagious? If so, did your doc issue a note even if the child still had visible blisters? Thanks!
Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
DS-6
c/p- April 2016
missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

Re: Q: Hand Foot and Mouth and Daycare

• It was my understanding that once the blisters showed up, they were past contagion. It's the week before all that goodness that they're walking plagues. And our doctor wouldn't even see us. She diagnosed over the phone. To be perfectly honest, your kid caught it from a kid whose parent didn't know they had it. I'd send her back to school unless she has a fever.
    Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagemyrall:
    It was my understanding that once the blisters showed up, they were past contagion. It's the week before all that goodness that they're walking plagues. And our doctor wouldn't even see us. She diagnosed over the phone. To be perfectly honest, your kid caught it from a kid whose parent didn't know they had it. I'd send her back to school unless she has a fever.

This is what our doc did too. Apparently daycare had it go around room for the older infants. They will not let Trevor come back without a doctor's note and keep insisting it is highly contagious for up to two weeks after the fever is gone. I was wondering if other daycare providers were so cautious. I think ours are just gun shy after the epidemic. The nurse just called me back assures me he is not contagious and is issuing the note. I just have to go pick it up, which is minimal PITA compared to not going in to the office for 2 weeks while we wait for the blisters to heal ;)

Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016

• Loading the player...
  • HFM must really be going around or I just notice the posts more now that my kid's had it. 

We didn't get an official diagnosis until Sunday, but he had been running a fever beginning Thursday (if I remember correctly), Friday we noticed a spot on his tongue, so I took him to the pediatrician that day, but no HFM diagnosis then.  Saturday more spots on his tongue fever was still lingering so by Sunday we took him to Urgent Care to figure out what was up.  No fever by Sunday though, just wouldn't eat and not a happy camper.  We called daycare Monday morning to find out their policy and they asked to keep him out for an additional day.  So Matthew went back on Tuesday, but he only had mouth sores. 

Good luck! 

• Aw, I'm sorry Matthew was so miserable with it :( It must be a weird strain of HFM going around now. Trev only has blisters around his mouth and maybe one  between his thumb and pointer finger. He also never had a fever. There was only one night he seemed in pain and was screaming when I put him down to bed. I thought maybe his ear infection hadn't healed and gave him Tylenol but it turned out to be HFM with no fever..strange!

Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016

• imageKT&John:

Aw, I'm sorry Matthew was so miserable with it :( It must be a weird strain of HFM going around now. Trev only has blisters around his mouth and maybe one  between his thumb and pointer finger. He also never had a fever. There was only one night he seemed in pain and was screaming when I put him down to bed. I thought maybe his ear infection hadn't healed and gave him Tylenol but it turned out to be HFM with no fever..strange!

Those were Sophie's exact symptoms. Blisters around mouth- not inside and no fever. She also had small round spots on her hands but no blisters. Pedi said it was def an odd case. She had me wait 48 hrs after the spots stopped appearing to return to daycare since there was no fever as our gauge. 2 wks is crazy.

• Two weeks is nuts. What the heck? And Geneva never had a fever, but I sure as heck did. I thought I had the flu!

Geneva only had one spot in her mouth and a few spots on her hiney. No hands or feet. 

Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • When L had it she returned to daycare within 24 hours of her fever breaking.  She still had the sores, but none of them were open.  Aveeno oatmeal bath worked wonders for her blisters.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 24 hours fever free is the rule at our daycare.  They are also cautious of oozing blisters, both in the mouth and on the skin.  DS wasn't allowed to come back until the drooling stopped or the blisters in the mouth went away.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"