Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Anyone else had a septum?

So my dr thinks I might have a septum in my uterus due to the fact that's it's heart shaped and that could be the reason for our loss. Does anyone have any experience with this? 
Anniversary
BFP #1: 12/5/11, M/C 12/19/11
BFP #2: 5/22/12 Due 2/1/13 Baby girl born 2/2/13

Re: Anyone else had a septum?

• My RE said he may have seen a small one after my recent mc...I will be doing an HSG to confirm in the near future.....

TTC #1 since 5/2010 dx: annovulatory 

RLP: 2/2012: normal HSG 3/2012: normal

BFP #1 7/20/11 M/C 7/25/11. BFP #2 11/29/11 M/C 12/21/11

I have two angel babies that I will see again one day

BFP #3 10/27/12 EDD: 7/6/13

Baby Emma arrived at 35 weeks by surprise on June 3rd, 2013!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #4: 5/23/14 EDD: 1/30/15  Emma's gonna be a big sister!

Beta #1 19DPO: 213 Beta #2 21DPO: 674

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. I was told during my first pregnancy that I had a septum, so I did a lot of research and was tested after I had my miscarriage. From the tests, it turns out I have a arcuate uterus, one that is almost heart-shaped, but no septum. Anyways, through my research I learned that if you have a septum, you have very little chance of having a pregnancy with a good outcome. You are more likely to have miscarriage, pregnancy loss, and pre-term labor. 

The good news is that if you have a septum, you can have it removed and will basically have a normal uterus with very few risks during pregnancy. Please find a doctor who has experience with anomalies such as septum. If you have a septum, you will have a resection and will need to be checked a month or two after the procedure to make sure it was done correctly and the septum is gone. From the stories I have read, many people do need to have it done twice due to the doctor being inexperienced and not doing a good job the first time around. There was a yahoo group called Mullerian Anomalies that was very helpful, but I'm not sure how active it currently is. I'm sure they have old posts that you can read that explain everything better than I can. There is also a list on there of doctors who were recommended by other members of the group. 

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss and that anyone has to go through this. Please push to get testing done so that you don't have to go through this again (hopefully!)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks so much for the feedback. I have an appt on jan 27 for the initial screening I suppose. I don't know very much about my particular situation yet, but I do plan to push the subject till I get some answers and a solution. The information the dr have me is based on an ultrasound that was not meant to investigate this, but happened to be stumbled upon during that time. I won't know more until we look into it further. 

Thank you! 

Anniversary
    BFP #1: 12/5/11, M/C 12/19/11
    BFP #2: 5/22/12 Due 2/1/13 Baby girl born 2/2/13
  • I had a septum as well. I had an early loss, and then had the septum surgery to resect the septum. About 6 weeks after my surgery, I got pregnant again and have had a totally healthy, non-eventful pregnancy.

I had an amazing surgeon who had experience doing this. You have a small chance of having a healthy pregnancy with the septum in there. Get it removed and you will be so happy and relieved. The surgery was really no big deal. I was out for maybe 5 days. I am so happy that I did it. I healed up quickly and was blesse to be pregnant again a few weeks later. I was so scared when I found out about my septum, but looking back, I was lucky to have something that was fixable by surgery. It was rough at the time, but you will get through it!

Good luck to you!

• I also had a septum. Mine was also initially ruled (by some very good radiologists, I might add) an arcuate uterus. Turns out it was a full septum. I had two losses before I got it removed this past September. I got pregnant right away (this time with twins) and am unfortunately losing them as well. My doctors were so convinced that the septum was the reason I was miscarrying because when the embryo implants on the septum, it has no blood supply and will not grow.

Many doctors will want to remove the septum because they feel it's just best to take it out of the mix and make sure it isn't the reason you're miscarrying. There is a great Yahoo! Group that you'll want to get connected to once you get your initial diagnosis. It's called Mullerian Anomalies group. They are fantastic in making a lot of good recommendations and helping you to understand your diagnosis.

Initially you will get an HSG to check out the shape of your uterus. Then you might get an MRI. They say MRIs are 99.9% accurate in determining if you have an MA. After that, you might get a hysteroscopy to determine the size of the septum. After that, they'll make recommendation as to whether they think you should recommend removal or not.

The best thing I learned from others with this experience is that ultimately, you need to talk to a reproductive surgeon. They are the most knowledgeable and will make the best recommendation for you.

Best of luck! Let us know if you have any other questions.

Krista

TTC since April 2010, age 40, 3 miscarriages in total IVF w/PGD June 2012 - failed cycle with a genetically perfect embryo, unexplained infertility January 2013 - On to adoption!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"