Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Can we talk about babies for a second? Re: Food.

Aaron is just over 9 months.  He eats 3 "solid" meals a day.  Sometimes more.  He is also still getting 4-6 ounces of formula every 2 or 3 hours.  We give him puffs or shredded cheese for snacks.  But he isn't eating anything like small, soft carrots or pieces of apple.  It's all pureed.  At what point should we be introducing that?  He also doesn't get the concept of a sippy cup.  He throws it around, yells at it, and chews on the spout.  The only time he drinks from it is if we tilt it for him.  And it's just water.  Should he be getting formula from that now too?  I'm so confused.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Can we talk about babies for a second? Re: Food.

• My kid eats just like yours and I have the same exact questions.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I didn't start giving ellie chunks of food until she had a few teeth on the top and bottom.  Ellie never really got the hang of a sippy cup, but she uses a straw cup very well and only gets water in that.  I have tried putting formula in it but she won't drink it yet.

photo 8171fa67-0749-444f-93ec-78250e104e5f_zps37aefc95.jpg

• Loading the player...
  • imagerimjob:
    I didn't start giving ellie chunks of food until she had a few teeth on the top and bottom.  Ellie never really got the hang of a sippy cup, but she uses a straw cup very well and only gets water in that.  I have tried putting formula in it but she won't drink it yet.

Okay.  He has top and bottom teeth, and he bites into the puffs, so maybe that's a sign he's ready to move up.  I see all these people giving their kids grilled cheese, pieces of fruit, and mac and cheese.  Grown up food.  I just didn't know what age that started.  I guess now.  Crazy.

I'm going to try the straw sippy this weekend.

Thanks Rim!

• Wow Annabel has 8 teeth and I still don't give her grown up food. I am way behind I think. I need to get it together and stop freaking out about choking.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I just started table foods about a week ago. I was a wuss totally afraid to take the leap but DS made it apparent he was ready by refusing purees and trying to grab the spoon and feed himself so it was like he was saying "come on mom!". Now that we are giving him steamed peas, cut up cooked carrots, small pieces of chicken, mac and cheese etc he is much happier. He'll still eat some of his favorite purees (fruits) but the veges and meats he doesn't love it enough to put up with us feeding him unless he is in the right mood. The sippy generally resulted in him getting drenched. He has been doing better with the playtex straw cup so I figure it is a work in progress. I think my peditrician wants him off bottles around 1 so I am going to keep working on it. I am considering trying formula or breastmilk in a cup soon to see if a better taste motivates him more.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    The bumpie formerly known as First Time in MI
  • I started giving Hen small bits of food around 8 months. He now has at least some sort of finger food with each meal. We started with puffs, the cheeros, and now bits of meat and veggies. Some of his other favorites are toast/bread, overcooked oatmeal sort of dropped into bits on his plate, cut up blueberries, cut up pasta, and lunch meat. He didn't have any teeth when I started, so I just made sure things where small and very over cooked.
    imageimage
    BFP # 1- DS ~ TTC #2 since Jan. 2012 - BFP # 2 - "Baby Elsie" - Blighted Ovum - D&C August 22, 2012 at 7w3d, BFP # 3 - CP - December 30, 2012, BFP # 4 - CP - March 19, 2013 ~ First RE Appt. 4/24/13 Med cycle #1: 50mg Clomid and Trigger shot = BFN. Med. Cycle #2: 6 cysts found. No meds/rest cycle. Trying on our own = BFP # 5! Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 129 Beta #3 = 94 - CP - July 2, 2013. BFP # 6! Beta#1 = 21, Beta#2 =58 Beta#3 = 134. U/S shows heartbeat of 142 at 7w2d!
  • I don't really give Asher many of those foods, either. It makes me so nervous! He'll pile 3 or 4 puffs in his mouth at a time if I just lay them on his tray and he'll gag. I hate seeing that. I give him rice, very small pieces of meat, mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, and he does okay. He's still mainly on formula and purees, though. I guess I need to step it up, too!
  • Just make sure that the pieces are really soft for starters.  Ellie started off with carrots I think and now she eats pretty much everything that we eat unless it is really spicey or something.  If you can get him to drink from a straw cup you should be golden.  I like them because even if I forget to pack one she can always just drink from any cup with a straw in it.  Hold on and I will link in the one that we have had the best luck with.  Some of them have a spill proof thing that makes them to hard for her to drink out of.

• We tried 5 different ones before this one finally became a fan favorite.

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10828398

• imagerimjob:

We tried 5 different ones before this one finally became a fan favorite.

Thanks!  I'm going shopping :-)

• imagebeeunit:
    imagerimjob:

We tried 5 different ones before this one finally became a fan favorite.

Thanks!  I'm going shopping :-)

don't stockpile to you know he likes it though. 

• imageHenHen25:
    I started giving Hen small bits of food around 8 months. He now has at least some sort of finger food with each meal. We started with puffs, the cheeros, and now bits of meat and veggies. Some of his other favorites are toast/bread, overcooked oatmeal sort of dropped into bits on his plate, cut up blueberries, cut up pasta, and lunch meat. He didn't have any teeth when I started, so I just made sure things where small and very over cooked.

Pretty much this. We still don't have any teeth and she does fine. I just make sure that everything is tiny and gummable. She now eats everything I do. Her fave is pasta, but it must have sauce of some kind, she hates it plain. Spits it right out. She also adores wheat crackers. I just break them up into little pieces. She's had all sorts of veggies (loves broccoli), fruits, meats. The only thing I really haven't given her is stuff high in sugar or salt. If you have a food chopper, it works awesome for making stuff baby finger size without puree'ing it. She hears me banging that thing and she'll break out in a huge smile. It's hilarious.

As for the sippy, she mostly gets it. She just has to work on lifting it so the water is at the spout and not air. It took a while, but we kept trying and I still hold the sippy for her most days, but we're getting there.

• We started A on table foods at 7 months and he now eats 99% finger foods. He still eats fruit purees with yogurt for breakfast on occasion. If Aaron can handle puffs, he can probably handle bits of fruits, veggies, meat, toast, etc.

A didn't get the sippy until just after 10 months. He still will not drink formula from it. I told myself that at 11 months I will take away his daytime bottles and replace them with sippys but that is in a couple days and I feel like he will basically not get anything to drink besides his bedtime bottle if I do that, so we'll see how it goes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We started giving finger foods at around 8.5 months.  We only gave purees for a few weeks because we heard from our doctor/nurses that it creates picky eaters.  After those first few weeks we gave lumpy/texture foods and then moved onto finger foods.  She eats everything by hand and mostly what we are having.  For breakfast she had pieces of banana, avocado and shredded cheese.  For snack she had some tofu chunks and for lunch she had pieces of pita with hummus, dragonfruit and melon.  For dinner we are having spaghetti.
  • imageOctGirl80:

imageHenHen25:
    I started giving Hen small bits of food around 8 months. He now has at least some sort of finger food with each meal. We started with puffs, the cheeros, and now bits of meat and veggies. Some of his other favorites are toast/bread, overcooked oatmeal sort of dropped into bits on his plate, cut up blueberries, cut up pasta, and lunch meat. He didn't have any teeth when I started, so I just made sure things where small and very over cooked.

Pretty much this. We still don't have any teeth and she does fine. I just make sure that everything is tiny and gummable. She now eats everything I do. Her fave is pasta, but it must have sauce of some kind, she hates it plain. Spits it right out. She also adores wheat crackers. I just break them up into little pieces. She's had all sorts of veggies (loves broccoli), fruits, meats. The only thing I really haven't given her is stuff high in sugar or salt. If you have a food chopper, it works awesome for making stuff baby finger size without puree'ing it. She hears me banging that thing and she'll break out in a huge smile. It's hilarious.

As for the sippy, she mostly gets it. She just has to work on lifting it so the water is at the spout and not air. It took a while, but we kept trying and I still hold the sippy for her most days, but we're getting there.

This is exactly us. We started puffs and melts around 7 months, and by 8 months she was totally ready to feed herself small bits of everything. I always made her purees, which I thought were lots thicker than anything i occasionally bought from Gerber. IDK if that helped her with thicker foods?? They are going to gag a bit at first, and it is pretty scary, but they really do need to learn the skills to eat real food. The only thing you can do is practice. The best advice I have seen is to assume baby will just swallow something without a proper chew or gumming it. Therefore, dice something small enough that I couldn't get lodged if it made it down whole.
  • I started very plain basic table foods like pieces or bread, puffs etc at 6.5 months it took about a month for DD to get the hang of doing it every day but she's a pro now and has no teeth. I still give her purees though since she doesnt eat enough table foods equal to her purees it would take over a hour then.

Edit: I break everything up tiny tiny because im so afraid of choking like a puff into 4 pieces about half your pinky nail, and i havn't had one choking scare yet!

• Every LO is different.  Just introduce things that you are comfortable with.  If he's eating puffs and cheese then you could probably try some pasta or other soft solid food.

As for the sippy, I am no help there.  I know my friends daughter did not take to the sippy, she tried all different kinds.  My DD loves all shapes, sizes, and colors of sippy cups!  You could try formula in it.  I just got rid of bottles a few weeks ago and have been putting formula and water in sippy's to drink.

• We started finger foods at 6 months, and we started with puffs. Now, DD will not take any pureed foods, she only wants to feed herself. When we first started her on her sippy cup at 4 months, she chewed on it and threw it around, but we just kept showing her how to tilt it and drink from it and she eventually got the hang of it. You could put formula in the cup, doesn't hurt, maybe they will like the taste of formula and be more inclined to drink from the cup. 

DD eats everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, but she is just an eating champ. There is nothing she won't try or eat at this point. Everything we eat, she pretty much eats as well. You can always try and just keep an eye on them for choking or not, but LO's use their gums to chew and not their front teeth. So they don't have to have teeth to be able to chew things. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"