Special Needs
Options

So disapointed...

This is more just a vent, but I am so disapointed.  I made it all the way through all the interventions for our early services in Georgia.  The only reason I did this was to get help getting Adam into a good inclusive preschool because they are tough to get into in Atlanta.  Finally after 2 months my case worker shows up today and was of no help.  This is so frustrating becuase the first person I worked with was wonderful and assured me that I would get a case worker and she would help me tour places in atlanta and talk to the directors to get my spots.  Basically, my case worker told me that my only real option was the public school system and she knew nothing about the public schools because I happen to live in a strange area that is still district for a city school district.  She did at least say she would set up another evalution through the school district for me, but at this point I'm about done with evaluations.  I'm about to make a rule that Adam gets no more evaluations until we decide what we would like him to do.  I just got finished doing the entire early intervention evaluation for the "help" they were supposed to offer me that does not exist. 

Sorry I just feel like trying to find places is a full time job, and I am going to need my full time job (and probably another one) just to pay for any where decent around our area and that's only if I can possible talk someone into letting him in their program.

imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: So disapointed...

• Options

I am sorry you are going through this.  Are you in actual Atlanta, or somewhere else?  The Frazer Center has inclusive daycare, but not much in the way of services, other than onsite therapy.  Also, and this is a very good program and might be able to point you to other resources in your area depending on your child's needs, https://www.adaptivelearningcenter.org/

Inclusive daycares are lacking in the city.  My friend has a daughter with CP and had to hire someone to drive her kids back and forth to the Zabin Park MJCC Preschool for daycare, even though they lived in Cobb.   Hope you can find something you like.  My friend also used an au paur for a while when her twins where not yet Pre-k age and had in home therapy. 

• Options

Thanks!  The fraiser center is wonderful, but unless you have a really good case worker with some connections there is basically no hope of getting a spot (the waitlist right now is years).  Adaptive learning center is really good, but extremely expensive.  It may be my only option, but in order to make that work our entire family is going to be living off mac n cheese for the next year. 

I think your advice about looking outside the city is a good point.  I actually have left a message at Zabin Park MJCC preschool.  Its also hard right now becuase everyone is gone for the Holidays.  Hopefully in a few weeks that will be better.  I do have a fantastic nanny, but I really wanted Adam to be around more kids his age for at least a few hours a week.

imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"