Georgia Babies

Did anyone else go way overboard for Christmas?

I told myself I wouldn't, but I did. I am going to try to remember next year not to do it again.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Did anyone else go way overboard for Christmas?

• We did more than we originally planned on, but in the grand scheme of things I don't think it was too extravagant. For some reason it is getting harder for me not to go overboard though!
    Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016
    missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

• we actually did not this year!  we just couldn't think of any large items that we didn't already own and so we got just a few things for each boy and called it a day!  I'm still kind of in shock about it but it worked!
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't think we did (no "big" gifts) but every time Grant gets asked what he got for Christmas he replies "too many toys" so I guess we will buy even less next year!
    Grant Thomas 8.8.06 and Reid Alexander 8.11.08
  • In the past we have gone way overboard, but this year we cut back.  No room at the inn for a lot of big toys. 
  • We didn't, but our relatives did.  I have yet to put all of the toys away.  I really need to get on it, and put old toys away in storage.
  • Depends on who you ask. DH will probably say yes, but I don't think we did. We got her one big gift, a dollhouse, but that I the ONLY thing she asked for, and Santa brought it. Rest were a bunch of little things, no toys other than two Disney princess dolls  Santa brought her. 
    Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • We adopted the 5 gift thing this year. A want, need, something to wear and something to read. The 5th being an chance to give back. For Jackson this year and probably the next few it will be going through his playroom and clothes and giving them to the local shelter. We took a bunch of toys and some clothes and we took some of his old books to his pedi's office so the kids could have some new reads in the patient rooms. The grandparents go nuts so we figured this was a good way to do Christmas from now on. 
  • imagerara855:
    We adopted the 5 gift thing this year. A want, need, something to wear and something to read. The 5th being an chance to give back. For Jackson this year and probably the next few it will be going through his playroom and clothes and giving them to the local shelter. We took a bunch of toys and some clothes and we took some of his old books to his pedi's office so the kids could have some new reads in the patient rooms. The grandparents go nuts so we figured this was a good way to do Christmas from now on. 

I really like this idea! We might incorporate that in the future. I don't feel like we went overboard though. They got some stuff they needed, like Derek a backpack for school, and a few toys and some new books. It still felt like a lot but it really wasn't looking back.

Derek 6.30.09 & Parker 4.1.11
    Family
  • imagerara855:
    We adopted the 5 gift thing this year. A want, need, something to wear and something to read. The 5th being an chance to give back. For Jackson this year and probably the next few it will be going through his playroom and clothes and giving them to the local shelter. We took a bunch of toys and some clothes and we took some of his old books to his pedi's office so the kids could have some new reads in the patient rooms. The grandparents go nuts so we figured this was a good way to do Christmas from now on. 

LOVE this.  I am stealing this next year!

No, I don't feel like we went overboard- especially considering that the grandparents definitely did.  Of course, we got off so easy this year.  The only thing Gavin wanted was a fire truck.  Simple!  I also have yet to put them all away and we are so overdue for a toy purge that its not even funny.  Hoping to get a chance to work on this this weekend! 

• I don't think we went overboard.   At first DH thought I was but he finially understood I didn't.  We have always done a stocking, 3 gifts from us ( because Baby Jesus got 3 gifts from the wise men) and a Santa gift.  I do combine like things to make a gift.  For example I combined 2 Thomas wooden railway sets this year as one gift from us.
  • I really don't think we went overboard even though my dh probably thinks we did.  We bought each boy a battery operated car, but other than that we didn't get them much.  My boys do not get anything from dh's parents and my mom tries not to spend more than $100 total on the boys.  We do not exchange gifts with either sides of the family so what the boys get from Santa/us is it.  I really do like Ra's idea, though.  That is really cool.  I think dh and I will try to do better next year with the gifts for the boys and I really really want to try to start buying earlier so it won't be a big deal financially once December rolls around.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not so sure we went WAY overboard, but both sets of grandparents outdid Santa this year.  When I was a kid, Santa was the source of the gifts - maybe 1 gift from my grandparents on Mom's side in addition.  That was it.  With my girls, both sets go crazy.  I'm an only child, so I'm not really used to any need to compare what a sibling gets to what the other child gets.  That's gonna be strange for me.  Some people have said that each kid gets gifts of the same $$, regardless of the number.  I think I'm going to do a number limit next year.  The only reason Abby got anything at all from Santa was because I knew Emma would think that Santa only came for her (Abby has more than she'll ever know what to do with because of Emma's infant toys, clothes, etc.)  I hate the idea that we'd have to try to outdo next year what we did this year.  It just ain't gonna happen!  Next year, I LOVE Ra's idea - 5 gifts for each.  Now it's just down to how to limit the grandparents....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We did!  I am kind of mad at myself but the good thing with a March birthday is that you can save some things for the their birthday.  Needless to say I don't have to buy her anything for her birthday.  I start buying things early, when on sale, so I forgot how much stuff I had.  I needed to do inventory at Thanksgiving and then I probably wouldn't have bought anything else.  Next year I am keeping a list of everything I buy for Christmas as to not go overboard next year. 
    photo bigsister032_zps1fdfe81e.jpgLilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Yes. NFT needed....
  • imageMrs. Theobald:
    We did!  I am kind of mad at myself but the good thing with a March birthday is that you can save some things for the their birthday.  Needless to say I don't have to buy her anything for her birthday.  I start buying things early, when on sale, so I forgot how much stuff I had.  I needed to do inventory at Thanksgiving and then I probably wouldn't have bought anything else.  Next year I am keeping a list of everything I buy for Christmas as to not go overboard next year. 

I did this too!

Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016
    missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

• We didn't, but family did (of course).  DD's birthday is the 30th, so we try to space things evenly.  Right now I have a lot of her xmas gifts hidden in the closet to appear throughout the rest of year.

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• imageKT&John:

imageMrs. Theobald:
    We did!  I am kind of mad at myself but the good thing with a March birthday is that you can save some things for the their birthday.  Needless to say I don't have to buy her anything for her birthday.  I start buying things early, when on sale, so I forgot how much stuff I had.  I needed to do inventory at Thanksgiving and then I probably wouldn't have bought anything else.  Next year I am keeping a list of everything I buy for Christmas as to not go overboard next year. 

I did this too!

Ditto! I already have a basketball goal and a Rip Rider for Jack's March birthday, done and done! 

Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"