Pregnant after 35
Options

hearing heartbeat question

We've had 2 ultrasounds (last one being the NT screening test) and both times we saw the heartbeat but didn't get to hear it. Is this something that is 'extra', meaning do some doctors offer it and others don't? I don't think we'll get another ultrasound until around 18-20weeks. I was just curious if the doppler ultrasound is different from others?

Bare with me, 1st baby and I'm always confused with this new information. hee.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: hearing heartbeat question

• Options
    imagehijoi:
    My routine doctor appointments are measuring fundal height and then listening on the doppler for the heartbeat.   I thought this was common. U/s are completely different appointments for my practice.
    It is common, but they tend to wait til later to use the doppler since you can't always hear before 10-12 weeks.
  • Options
    When I got the nt scan at 12 weeks I thought we would hear it finally but the tech didn't listen. She was not the greatest. The next week at 13 weeks I went in for spotting and finally heard it :). Pretty much since then every appt we go in for is measuring my belly and listening to the hb.

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think it depends on the place doing the u/s and equipment they are using.  I think at my NT we saw the HB reading on the screen but they didn't turn up the volume to hear it.  At my a/s, the tech did turn up the volume for a second. 

My OB started trying to hear it on the hand-held doppler at my 10 wk appt but it was too early.  By my 14 wk appt, she was able to get it easily with the doppler and they check it with the doppler at every appt now.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    A routine appt involves: weight, blood pressure, peeing in a cup, fundal height and heartbeat. They'll check at every appt. If they're unsure they'll find a hb, or don't at all, they'll do an U/S. It can be hard to find that early. With DD, they found it at 9w, but couldn't at 13w, and took me to an u/s.  This time, my OB went to check at 12w, thought better of it, and did an U/S. At 16w, she pulled out the Doppler and found his kicking foot almost instantly, then found the HB.
  • Options
    At my OB for the u/s measure the heartbeat but don't hear it.  I always hear it at my OV though.  Don't know about others.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I have had approximately 10 u/s and I have never heard the heartbeat.  Only seen the heart beating on the monitor.  Starting at my 12 week appt with my doctor, they listen for the heartbeat with the hand-held doppler.  At 12 weeks she couldn't find the heartbeat.  Turns out I have an anterior placenta which makes it hard to hear that early.  She just hooked me up to the u/s to confirm that all was well.  Every appt since then they have found the heartbeat easily with the hand-held doppler.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"