Natural Birth

Nipple stimulation work?

Has anyone used a breast pump to stimulate labor or know of anyone that has IRL? I know it's suggested, but am curious if it is just a myth. I am due soon, but it feels like baby will never get here!
Lilypie First Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: Nipple stimulation work?

• It's not a myth, there are studies finding that nipple stim does induce cervical change.  I tried it with both my kids.  It's hard to say from one or two anecdotes whether it was effective.  With my first, I was still induced at 41 weeks but I went in with a favorable cervix and dilated all the way, so maybe the nipple stim ripened my cervix enough to make the induction work (I had a c/s but it was from an unrelated reason).  With my second, I did 3 nights of nipple stim and went into labor at 2 am on the third night.  It could be a coincidence but it's also plausible that the nipple stim put me into labor.  Like any induction method, it will be most effective when your body was gearing up for labor on its own anyway.

GL 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageiris427:

It's not a myth, there are studies finding that nipple stim does induce cervical change.  I tried it with both my kids.  It's hard to say from one or two anecdotes whether it was effective.  With my first, I was still induced at 41 weeks but I went in with a favorable cervix and dilated all the way, so maybe the nipple stim ripened my cervix enough to make the induction work (I had a c/s but it was from an unrelated reason).  With my second, I did 3 nights of nipple stim and went into labor at 2 am on the third night.  It could be a coincidence but it's also plausible that the nipple stim put me into labor.  Like any induction method, it will be most effective when your body was gearing up for labor on its own anyway.

GL 

I swear to cod, my pump is coming out of storage the day I turn 37w.

OP- I've heard that it is one of the more effective natural labor induction techniques. :)

• Loading the player...
  • I'm trying it now. I will let u know if I go into labor tonight. I should be anyway. So I guess I won't know for sure if it is coincidence, but want to try something!
  • I've been using my pump for it last 3 or 4 nights now. Hopefully something kickstarts this whole thing! Especially since DH is a little weirded out having sex at this point.

The midwife scheduled the eviction date for next thursday, I dont want to go that route if we dont have to so I am giving all this my best shot.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well I tried pumping last night and still here!  Actually I had some contractions yesterday and doc said I am 4cm dilated and 80% effaced.  But my contractions stopped last night!  I was sure I would go into labor!  I'm going to try pumping again today and hope something happens.  

Do you think breaking the sac at this point would be ok? With DS1 I had no contractions and went to the hospital cause I thought I was leaking.  I was 5cm and my water broke as doc was checking me.  Now I'm wondering if maybe my body won't go into labor without an intervention like that.  Of course I am being impatient too.  But it's primarily because I don't have much help and my plan of care for DS1 is very tricky.  I may have to hire my sitter to sleep over.  Which I don't want to do but I don't know.,,.  Sorry I'm rambling.,.. Not thinking well...,

• imagejshf:

Well I tried pumping last night and still here!  Actually I had some contractions yesterday and doc said I am 4cm dilated and 80% effaced.  But my contractions stopped last night!  I was sure I would go into labor!  I'm going to try pumping again today and hope something happens.  

Do you think breaking the sac at this point would be ok? With DS1 I had no contractions and went to the hospital cause I thought I was leaking.  I was 5cm and my water broke as doc was checking me.  Now I'm wondering if maybe my body won't go into labor without an intervention like that.  Of course I am being impatient too.  But it's primarily because I don't have much help and my plan of care for DS1 is very tricky.  I may have to hire my sitter to sleep over.  Which I don't want to do but I don't know.,,.  Sorry I'm rambling.,.. Not thinking well...,

You are not even at your due date yet.  I would try to relax and remember that your baby has plenty of time.  Most people will go into labor on their own if given the chance.  Keep in mind that trying to speed things along can create new problems.  For example, breaking your water before labor can cause a prolapsed cord, increased risk of infection and puts you on the clock--if you don't deliver in time, you could end up with a c-section simply because your body wasn't ready yet.  I know the last weeks are hard but hang in there! 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagejshf:

Well I tried pumping last night and still here!  Actually I had some contractions yesterday and doc said I am 4cm dilated and 80% effaced.  But my contractions stopped last night!  I was sure I would go into labor!  I'm going to try pumping again today and hope something happens.  

while your doc was actually doing the internal? that seems awfully coincidental.

sorry your childcare situation is challenging. that's always a problem with subsequent kids, especially if you don't have family close by.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"