Infertility Veterans

Went off a little on a co-worker

I work in a news station and one of the producers ran a little story about today being the 30th birthday of the woman that was the first U.S. "test tube baby" (I hate that term). Well in his script he said "TODAY.. WE CALL IT "IN-VITRO" FERTILIZATION.. IT'S FAIRLY COMMON AND COVERED BY MANY INSURANCE PLANS."

When he mentioned to another producer that they should run the story if they need to fill time, I just mentioned that they should take out the line about many insurance plans covering it because that isn't true. Said producer says "my friends neighbor got pregnant artificially and she said her plan covered it." Let's just say I set him straight on how many states have mandated coverage and how rare coverage is outside of mandated states, and that there are loop holes even when it is mandated.  At the end of my tirade he turned to the other producer and said "OK take that line out."

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Went off a little on a co-worker

• Thank goodness you were there to set them straight! IF has so many stigmas as it is already it is so important to have the complete story out there for others who have never experienced IF first hand. Unfortunately finances are a huge part of the IF journey.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    My Blog

TTC #1 Since June 2007
    April 2008 Diagnosed with Unexplained Infertility
    5 failed IUI cycles
    2009-2011 IF Treatment Break - saving for IVF and TTC on our Own... Praying for a miracle

IVF (Long Lupron) Bravelle & Menopur, ER on 11/4 (Retrieved 17 eggs - 16 mature & 16 fertilized!)3dt on 11/7 (Transfered Two "perfect" 8 Cell 0% Frag Embryos) = BFFN

Nov 2011 - July 2012 Taking time off to heal before FET
    (We have three beautiful frosties waiting for us)

FET August/September 2012 = BFP!!!
    ET (8/31) 2 Expanded Blastocysts & 1 Collapsed Blastocyst
    Beta#1 (9/14) 14dp5dt = 1309 Beta#2 (9/19) 19dp5dt = 7557!! 1st U/S (9/28) 1 Beautiful Heartbeat! 8 Weeks 2 Days 2nd U/S (10/9) Heartrate=184!!! EDD: 5/19/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • You did the right thing especially since almost everyone I know is OOP.  Way to stick it to the man!
    Pursing Domestic Infant Adoption through a local agency. In the meantime, our dog is our baby.  Bumping from Portland, Oregon. 
  • Loading the player...
  • You just saved every infertile woman watching the news from jumping through the TV and strangling the reporter in a fit of rage.  Pat yourself on the back, thank you!

me 33/DH 36
    ttc since 10/2008; d/x: mild MFI, stageII endo
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Welcome~~
    11 IUI’s = 1 m/c (7w4d)
    IVF#1 January 2012 BFN, FET #1 April 2012 BFN
    Surprise BFP October 2012 m/c (7w), Surprise BFP April 2013 m/c (6w4d)
    IVF #2: July 2013, ET 1 embryo 7/18, beta 1 @ 14dp3dt - 757, beta 2 @ 16dp3dt - 1762
    U/S 1 @ 6w4d = 1 little frogger with HB of 118, U/S 2 @ 7w3d measuring right on track with HB of 160
    Stick Frogger Stick! Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!   It's a Girl, EDD April 7, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Good for you!

I also would've smacked him for using the term "artificially"!!!

• Thank you for standing up for all of us and correcting the misleading information!!!!
    TTC #1 Since 11/08 - Dx: MFI & PCOS
    7 IUIs = All BFNs
    2011: March IVF #1.2 = e/p @ 6w: May IVF #2 = BFN: July sFET #1 = BFN

2012: Jan We're Certified FC/A Parents
    May IVF #3 = c/p
    June-Nov Foster Mommy to M (Toddler)
    July FET #2 = BFN
    Aug FET #3 = BFN
    Sept-Nov Foster Mommy to Baby Bella (Newborn)
    Nov HSG/Sono = Clear!
    Dec FET #4 = BFN

2013: Feb FET #5 = m/c @ 6.5w
    May-July Foster Mom to H (8 yr old girl)
    June/July/Aug IVF #4 = Freeze All
    July = Unofficially Adopting T (10 yr old boy)
    Sept FET #6 = TBD
    **PAIF/SAIF Welcome**
  • imageRFBsbride:

Good for you!

I also would've smacked him for using the term "artificially"!!!

Oh I did, I believe my exact words were "You don't get artifically pregnant, you are either pregnant or you aren't. You can use medical technologies to get pregnant, but they aren't artificial either." 

• :::standing ovation:::

Good for you for setting him straight! 

TTC #1 w/ endo since Sept 2005. After many losses, a lap, tons of meds and tons of testing and, one failed IVF cycle, we were blown away with a surprise, sticky BFP...it's a girl!!! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • You saved a bunch of women from punching their TVs! Way to educate!
    TTC with severe MFI since 9/08 IVF w/ ICSI #1 May/June 2010= BFP twins
    Callan George and Bennett Charles born and died 11/7/10
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    FET #1 April 2011= BFN
    FET #2 July 2011= no transfer because my lining sucked
    FET #3 February 2012= BFP! 1st beta 9dp5dt=314 2nd beta 11dp5dt=977 1st U/S 3/20 Twins- Heart rates of 111 and 138 Pregnancy Ticker
    Living After Losing
  • Thank you for educating them!
  • Thank you!!!  I'm so glad made set him straight!!
    My Wonderful Sister is my GC!!!! 3 IUIs, 2 unmedicated, 1 50mg of Clomid = All BFNs Next step IVF!!!! Melinda & Michael 5*6*06 God Bless The Broken Road
  • You are my hero. If that had made it to air, I can only imagine the barrage of angry letters he'd get (and rightly so). Cheers to you!
    Me: 30, Dx Unexplained/hypothalamic amenorrhea
    DH: 31, normal!
    April/May 2011: Menopur + Ovidrel +TI = BFN
    Oct 2011: Menopur + Hcg +IUI = BFP!
    Beta #1 (13dpiui)= 129.7, Beta #2 (15 dpiui)= 305
    PAIF/SAIF always welcome!
    My Blog

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Go Beadinglady! And thanks!
    +++
  • Good for you!
    After 3 years of infertility we were blessed with twin girls through private infant adoption.
    Forever our's October 17th 2012
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Good for you -- I only think its right that people be informed because so many are not. 

TTC #2 since June '08

~*DD 10.21.07*~

dx unexplained

IUI #1-4 BFN

IVF#1 June 2011 BFN

IVF#2 Dec 2011

Beta#1 12/21 : 812 Beta#2 12/23 : 1634

EDD 8/25

*PAIFW/SAIFW*

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards