Special Needs

? erythromycin

Is anyone else LO on erythromycin for delayed gastric empting? My dd 6 weeks vomits after every feed over and ounce and hours after she eats as well. She is EBF and I have removed dairy and soy from my diet. She is also on prevacid and Zantac and maalox as needed. I was just wondering if anyone else has experience with this med and did it work.

TIA

Copyed from 0-3mo

Re: ? erythromycin

• My LO is on it and I can't say that it's working, but I can't say that it isn't either.  He has had extreme problems with reflux since day one and with CF & FTT, he had a feeding tube put in. 

He has delayed gastric emptying and we take .4mL of Eryped with every feed, but I haven't been able to tell a difference.  He also takes Prevacid & Miralax daily.

Does your LO take prevacid & zantac?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Emergency ileostomy 11/28/10, CF dx on 12/3/10 and ileostomy takedown 1/24/11, feeding tube placed 7/1/11...still going strong! Little one lost 5w5d, 5/27/2012. CP 8/26/2012
  • Has she had a suck/swallow study, upper GI and esophogram?  My son vomited CONSTANTLY.  Hours after feeding, all day, every day.  His upper GI showed that his gastric emptying was fine.  His reflux was so bad it just caused everything in his stomach to stay up in the botom of his esophagus.  We used prevacid and thickend formula and it made a world of difference.
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Loading the player...
  • We had and upper gi last week and an abd ultrasound.  She is EBF so thickening is not an option, I do not want to give that up. However we will thicken the feeds when she does get bottles in the future.

She is on both prevacid and zantac.

Now I don't know what to do. Yesteday afternoon and today have been wonderful, she has been vomiting but not uncomfortable. I am not sure if we should start this now, Sunday however was horrible, she cried all day and was extremly uncomfortable.

• Have you thought about going gluten free?
    WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• imageAssembly_Reqd:
    Have you thought about going gluten free?

I spoke with the GI abd that with my first daughter, we had some of the same issues and we have celiac in the family. But they said that gluten is not able to pass through breast milk, just wheat protien. I could cut wheat out as an allergen but its not the same a GF diet r/t GI distress.

• imageamandajb1:

We had and upper gi last week and an abd ultrasound.  She is EBF so thickening is not an option, I do not want to give that up. However we will thicken the feeds when she does get bottles in the future.

She is on both prevacid and zantac.

Now I don't know what to do. Yesteday afternoon and today have been wonderful, she has been vomiting but not uncomfortable. I am not sure if we should start this now, Sunday however was horrible, she cried all day and was extremly uncomfortable.

You can still thicken feeds even if you're EBF.  We had discussed using the syringe to feed DS simply thick prior to BF sessions.  This way as the breastmilk enters the tummy it mixes with the simply thick and thickens over time to help it stay down.

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • I will look into the simply thick, thank you!
  • DS was hospitalized at 2mths old for reflux with apnea, the GI doc tried erythromycin first but DS continued to have a lot of spit ups and apnea. They then decided to try Reglan which helped some. I can't tell you much about the erythromycin because they only tried it for 24 hrs.

• DD was on Erythromycin to speed gastric emptying. It made a HUGE difference for us. She had SEVERE reflux, to the point of losing weight. 

We finally got a great combo of the Ery, and prevacid solutabs.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"