Two Under 2

Tips for handling 3 month old and 2 yr old alone at night?

DH travels for work and he'll be gone for 8 days soon leaving me with my 2 yr old DD and 3 month old DS.

DS is still eating every 2 hrs plus at nights he cluster feeds from 5-7:30pm and basically is either eating or being burped/held off from more food. Then he falls asleep between 7-8pm.

DD eats supper at 5:30, then we do bath/bed at 7pm and she's in bed by 7:30. DH has always taken one kid and I've had the other during these times but now it's going to be just me. DD is also not great at playing independently now that DS is here and has been super attached to me...

Any tips/tricks to handling things alone at night?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tips for handling 3 month old and 2 yr old alone at night?

• My husband works nights, so leaves at 6:15. DD (who is 19 months) usually goes to bed around 6:30, but the nights DH works we don't do her bath and just get her in bed before/as he's leaving (he's dealing w/ DS up to that point). I know that might not help you, but basically it's a juggling act. I'd get your 3 month old in a comfortable place (nap? swing? bouncy chair?), maybe right where the bath is, so you can deal w/ both kids right there. Then get the 3 month old comfy again while you go put DD to bed. Yes, my younger one has cried while I've read DD her book (quickly!) and put her to bed... as long as you know the younger one is safe I'd say you're good. Or, maybe do bath during the day/before dinner for the time while your husband is gone?

Once DS was crying right there as I was dressing DD after her bath (in our room) so we actually did storytime on our big bed, with DD sitting next to me, turning the pages, while I held DS. Do what you have to do, it'll all work out. And try to look at the big picture, don't get too stressed out. It won't last forever. :-) Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was home with an 18 month and newborn by myself most of the time when DD was born. (it was harvest season)
    DS was still being rocked to sleep and DD would clusterfeed. 

You pretty much just do whatever works.  I would feed DD and then bathe DS.  Then I would feed her again, put her in the carseat on the dryer and turn it on. Buying myself enough time to rock DS to sleep.  Sometimes DS would have to cry for a few minutes but we managed.  Sometimes I would be nursing DD and rocking DS at the same time.

You just do whatever works as you go.  You will be able to figure it out in no time!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm alone a lot at night - DH works random hours and is gone for 12-36 hours at a time.  Honestly the best tip I can give you is to be flexible.  I was really regimented w/ DS1 but now both kids have "approximate" schedules and we all go with the flow.  It makes life a lot easier. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"